Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

New Ford supercar?

Old 10-26-2011, 11:46 PM
goodfellow55

Default New Ford supercar?

Automobile mag is reporting of a possible successor to the 05-06 GT

[Ford is working on a successor to the GT, the mid-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 550-hp supercar that the company built from 2005 to 2006. Or at least that’s the vibe I got from Derrick Kuzak, head of global product development, during the Detroit auto show earlier this week.

The revelation came at an intimate dinner with Kuzak, Ford president and CEO Alan Mulally, chief technology officer Paul Mascarenas, and about a dozen journalists. We had entered the lightning round of Mulally’s rigid Q&A format, meaning short questions and short answers.

My question: “Is Ford interested in a successor to the GT?”

Long pause. But it was clear that Kuzak, with pursed lips and unmoving eyes, was carefully looking for the right response. Mulally stepped in, but not with a serious answer. He regularly reminds the enthusiast media that he’s not a car guy.

“All I know is, if the ground is wet, they don’t let me drive it,” cracked the always-cheery CEO. “That vehicle levitates.”

“Well I think there are certain things that we don’t want to talk about in terms of four-year product plans, if that’s okay,” Kuzak carefully stated.

And with that, the group moved on to the next question. So it’s not a confirmation, but it’s not a denial either, and that gives me some serious hope that we’ll see a GT successor in the not-too-distant future. It would have been easy enough for Kuzak or Mulally to dismiss a low-volume, high-dollar performance car as too expensive for the company, too expensive for the consumer, or inappropriate for the political and social climate. But no one said anything like that.

The possibility of a GT follow-up presents plenty of interesting questions, but there’s one that stands out in my mind: would Ford’s next supercar be an evolution of the GT, or an all-new species that’s only linked to the last car by its extreme performance? In styling and packaging, the 2005-2006 Ford GT was nearly a carbon copy of the 1960s GT40. Surely a new supercar would require a more original design, but would Ford retain any ties to the GT heritage or just start fresh? Whatever it is, and whatever Ford’s intention are, we can just hope the result will be as awesome as the GT’s supercharged 5.4-liter V-8, six-speed manual transmission, and stunning presence.

Read more: http://rumors.automobilemag.com/ford...ixzz1bxDknGUt]

..thoughts?
Old 11-16-2011, 01:19 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

No, it would hurt the sales of the Mustang GT-500, the new supercar mustang lol
Old 11-16-2011, 10:10 AM
goodfellow55

Most likely yes, it would do that. However, I've heard from another source that it could be coming from Lincoln, instead of Ford..
Old 11-16-2011, 12:18 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by aode08
No, it would hurt the sales of the Mustang GT-500, the new supercar mustang lol
Yeah at 650hp and 200mph from the factory, it's gonna be pretty difficult to top that. Even though I love the Ford GT, I now doubt there's gonna be anything like that soon
Old 11-16-2011, 06:47 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/04/n...gh-500lbs-les/

It would be at least 5 years before you would see this thing to even begin production, looks nice as hell/
Old 11-16-2011, 08:03 PM
MustangFTW

you guys are forgetting the 05 GT was a 120k new, the gt500 isnt even half that. completely different markets. the 05 GT had a top speed of 212, a new GT would have to top that, say around 220-225mph, making it quite a bit faster then the GT500.

also, people looking to buy GT500s are probably in their 30's, and have the mood to splurge on something nice but still need to support a family, bills etc. people looking at 100k+ cars are USUALLY older, mid 40's, and have had a very good job for a while.

people that are looking at a 50-55k car are probably not even thinking of a 120k car. i say its a wise investment for Ford, they need to get their name back in the game, the GT500 will help but what about supercars? zondas, mclarens, even bugattis need to have a worthy american challenger, not sure the GT500 could do it.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:42 PM
simpsonfan13
ELEKTRO-FIDE Moderator

THUNDERBIRD
THUNDERBIRD
THUNDERBIRD
THUNDERBIRD
THUNDERBIRD
THUNDERBIRD
THUNDERBIRD
THUNDERBIRD
THUNDERBIRD
THUNDERBIRD
THUNDERBIRD
THUNDERBIRD
THUNDERBIRD
THUNDERBIRD
THUNDERBIRD
THUNDERBIRD
THUNDERBIRD
THUNDERBIRD
THUNDERBIRD
THUNDERBIRD
THUNDERBIRD
THUNDERBIRD
THUNDERBIRD
THUNDERBIRD

THUNDERBIRD
THUNDERBIRD
THUNDERBIRD
THUNDERBIRD
THUNDERBIRD
THUNDERBIRD
THUNDERBIRD
THUNDERBIRD
THUNDERBIRD
THUNDERBIRD
THUNDERBIRD
THUNDERBIRD

If it is going to take 5 years to start production, then I wonder what tech is going into it?

Last edited by simpsonfan13; 11-16-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:22 PM
aerbourne
2nd Gear Member

that GT concept looks awesome!!! but hybrid? no. i want it to run off of plutonium
Old 11-16-2011, 10:56 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFTW
you guys are forgetting the 05 GT was a 120k new, the gt500 isnt even half that. completely different markets. the 05 GT had a top speed of 212, a new GT would have to top that, say around 220-225mph, making it quite a bit faster then the GT500.

also, people looking to buy GT500s are probably in their 30's, and have the mood to splurge on something nice but still need to support a family, bills etc. people looking at 100k+ cars are USUALLY older, mid 40's, and have had a very good job for a while.

people that are looking at a 50-55k car are probably not even thinking of a 120k car. i say its a wise investment for Ford, they need to get their name back in the game, the GT500 will help but what about supercars? zondas, mclarens, even bugattis need to have a worthy american challenger, not sure the GT500 could do it.
As far as top speeds go, I think the gt500 "capable" of 200MPH means if you do some mods, you will be able to get there, 650 HP (crank) will probably get it to 180-185, depending on the gearing for 4th/5th, maybe up to 190. but I think it will need 700 to the ground to hit 200.
The ford GTs were getting about 190 stock, I've seen modified ones do 225+ in a standing mile, but they are heavily modified.

I see the numbers as generous and only a reflection of what the speedo will read. The current generation GT500's are speed limited at 155mph, they should be able to hit 170-175 without the governor based on gearing, since 6th is useless due to aero drag, but 5th should be able to be topped out at the redline.

I know that with the right combo, a gt500 could compete with the supercars, add a twinturbo and strong enough internals and you can be putting down 800+HP, but then you need something like an 80/20 all wheel drive system, and that's where the Ford GT could play where the mustang variants shouldn't go, I don't think anyone would complain about an exotic getting some all wheel drive... The mustang though, the outcry would be incredible.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:07 PM
StangisSwag
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFTW

+1 well said

that said i wouldnt be surprised if ford continued the GT but given the way they have been moving forwards recently in terms of new vehicles dont be surprised if they come up with something completely new and awesome...but it probably will come out after we have been with the new shelby for a couple of years

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Ford supercar?