Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Idiot Removes Governor on V6 Mustang, Driveshaft Removes Itself

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 06:47 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kzonts
Thanks for providing that info... I've had my car up to 110 (only once) but that's all I was brave enough to try since I've heard there was a limit, so I didn't push it.
Yup anytime, you could realistically do around 115-120 without worry but many 05-06 owners report severe steering wheel wobble at those speeds (and much lower)... I do believe Ford changed the DS or some of it's supporting components around the 07 year to better handle the higher sustained RPM, hence why I have never experienced the steering wheel wobble until around the 120 range where I PROMPTLY back off lol.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:13 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Everyone is being way too damn hard on this kid. Personally, I think the driveshaft should have held, but I hope he doesn't expect to get anything out of Ford for this. Governor disabled = warranty VOID. But honestly, who here has never pushed their car a bit more than they should once or twice? And if you haven't, why did you buy a Mustang?
Old 12-20-2011, 09:23 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

What does it matter if I have or haven't pushed my car hard?
Old 12-20-2011, 09:31 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Everyone is being way too damn hard on this kid. Personally, I think the driveshaft should have held, but I hope he doesn't expect to get anything out of Ford for this. Governor disabled = warranty VOID. But honestly, who here has never pushed their car a bit more than they should once or twice? And if you haven't, why did you buy a Mustang?
Well, I've personally never pushed mine to 120, had it start making a very unhappy noise, and then kept pushing it up to nearly 140 with the sound of impending doom steadily growing the whole time, until it finally went to pieces, followed promptly by posting my lack of common sense on the internet, and whining like somehow Ford was at fault.

Personally, I think my V6 should come from Ford able to handle 25 pounds of boost, but if I'm dim enough to think it will, the consequences are on my side of the ledger, not Ford's...
Old 12-20-2011, 11:09 PM
IntentionallyChewy

I don't think he's an idiot for pushing the car like that (many people on this forum do things like this), but he certainly shouldn't blame Ford. They put the limiter on for a reason, and now we all know why. Hopefully people will learn from this guy's mistake.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:23 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

^I disagree. Very clearly you can hear the car has a problem, when you hear a problem - YOU LET OFF! When you push is hard (which I agree we all do) your doing it to see what your car can and cannot do. In this case the car let him know, "ok, thats enough", but this interesting person goes beyond what the car is telling him and then gets pissed when something breaks? How is it NOT his fault?

Matthew
Old 12-20-2011, 11:40 PM
StangisSwag
2nd Gear Member

well, maybe hes an idiot for blaming ford more than anything, but he seriously cant expect to take off the limiter and not have a consequence, im sure it says somewhere very clearly in the owners manual (of which i have only skimmed lol) that it cannot go certain speeds or there would be risk of parts failure
Old 12-21-2011, 01:56 AM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
Well, I've personally never pushed mine to 120, had it start making a very unhappy noise, and then kept pushing it up to nearly 140 with the sound of impending doom steadily growing the whole time, until it finally went to pieces, followed promptly by posting my lack of common sense on the internet, and whining like somehow Ford was at fault.

Personally, I think my V6 should come from Ford able to handle 25 pounds of boost, but if I'm dim enough to think it will, the consequences are on my side of the ledger, not Ford's...
agreed, I can hear the vibration at 119 mph, that's a huge red flag! I don't blame the kid for testing the limits, but DAMN !
Old 12-21-2011, 02:02 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

I thought it had been a known issue that the V6 driveshaft was known to be safe only up to 120ish. The issue is the "critical speed" rating of the driveshaft, look up that term.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:03 AM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Well there goes the whole 2012 V6 drivers saying of, "My V6 can keep up with your V8".

I don't think we should bash the guy too much though. Anything can go wrong when you modify a car to perform beyond its design.

But he is a dumba$$ for not letting off when it started to make noise and he needs to stop whining about Ford when it's his fault.

Quick Reply: Idiot Removes Governor on V6 Mustang, Driveshaft Removes Itself