Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Idiot Removes Governor on V6 Mustang, Driveshaft Removes Itself

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 09:48 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JayyVee
Found this - Shaftmasters are breaking too??

http://v6mustangperformance.com/news...haft-failures/

Anyone make carbon ones for us yet??
Interesting article. Is anyone running a 4" shaft here? Any problems with clearance? Althought the 4" shaft has a thinner wall which concerns me as well. Those with lowered rides also need to pay close attention to the shaft angle.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

This thread is hilarious.

Regardless of whether or not the DS can handle it here's a few common sense items to think about:

1) The speed governer was removed. - Ok so what?
2) The kid drove past it - Ok so what?
3) kid heard some noises and ignored it - Ok, so what?
4) Following said sounds and after all three steps above were taken, DS tore loose...OOhhhh okay..that's "so what".
5) side point...wtf is he doing driving 135mph in an area not designed for that (street)???

BTW most cars are speed limited based on their tire rating. Given by the 113mph speed limiting I would guess the V6's come with All weather/season tires with an H rating, and not Z rated tires?

Try removing your rev limiter and rev the engine past redline. Probably throw a rod or float a valve. DOHC V6 should be able to handle 7,000 RPM+ but these aren't designed to. Are you going to get pissed at someone else other than yourself if you take the Rev limiter off and blowing your motor after the motor warns you?
Old 12-22-2011, 01:40 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by kzonts
Interesting article. Is anyone running a 4" shaft here? Any problems with clearance? Althought the 4" shaft has a thinner wall which concerns me as well. Those with lowered rides also need to pay close attention to the shaft angle.
That is an interesting article, especially the item about critical speed.

If the harmonic frequency and resonance frequencies are just right you could shatter any driveshaft no matter how well it was designed.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:21 PM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00

Regardless of whether or not the DS can handle it here's a few common sense items to think about:
I think for the most part the majority of us (me anyway) are beyond the kid doing a list of stupid things (yes indeed he did!) - I'm on to the more important things like; How does such an awful DS get put on a touted 'sports touring' (Thats what it says mine is) car, especially on the most modified car in America (Mustang) - and not expect folks to go WTF were you thinking Ford? (When we say modded in the Mustang world, we are not talking 10HP stickers, but actual real world increases, right?), and, what are 'my' next steps to insure that never happens to me on the track/dragrun/dyno - aka; another 1k mod to the car essentially.

Is the DS at AM a Shaftmasters, doesn't seem to say who the maker is.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/alumin...11v6-auto.html

Unless someone has a carbon one in the works, seems we don't have toooo many choices yet.

Last edited by JayyVee; 12-22-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:29 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

1) The speed governer was removed. - Ok so what?
2) The kid drove past it - Ok so what?
3) kid heard some noises and ignored it - Ok, so what?
4) Following said sounds and after all three steps above were taken, DS tore loose...OOhhhh okay..that's "so what".
5) side point...wtf is he doing driving 135mph in an area not designed for that (street)???

BTW most cars are speed limited based on their tire rating. Given by the 113mph speed limiting I would guess the V6's come with All weather/season tires with an H rating, and not Z rated tires?

Try removing your rev limiter and rev the engine past redline. Probably throw a rod or float a valve. DOHC V6 should be able to handle 7,000 RPM+ but these aren't designed to. Are you going to get pissed at someone else other than yourself if you take the Rev limiter off and blowing your motor after the motor warns you?
The points you mention here are irrelevant. The DS should not come apart. I doubt the RPMs were that high and most of us know the limits of our tires.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:38 PM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

My original wheels came with Bridgestone Radial N/A's, no way in hell I would even think of taking those up to even 100 and feel moderately safe. If they are making limiters based on tire types, they might as well start setting all 'stock/base' cars to 80mph and calling it a day.

Rev limiter is there for a different reason than a top-end limiter.

My last car, the chipping took off all limiters, so if you Effed your car with a money shift - guess what you ate it. I can live with that concern as long as I'm aware up front of it. As I understood the limiter on my last car, it was for exactly that reason - keep RPM's from topping - not crappy materials in the drivetrain..

Guess my worries are different here in this car. The engine is solid as a rock and moddable to 550-600 from what I gather. But sits inside of an egg-crate!
:/

Last edited by JayyVee; 12-22-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:23 PM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JayyVee
My original wheels came with Bridgestone Radial N/A's, no way in hell I would even think of taking those up to even 100 and feel moderately safe. If they are making limiters based on tire types, they might as well start setting all 'stock/base' cars to 80mph and calling it a day.

Rev limiter is there for a different reason than a top-end limiter.

My last car, the chipping took off all limiters, so if you Effed your car with a money shift - guess what you ate it. I can live with that concern as long as I'm aware up front of it. As I understood the limiter on my last car, it was for exactly that reason - keep RPM's from topping - not crappy materials in the drivetrain..

Guess my worries are different here in this car. The engine is solid as a rock and moddable to 550-600 from what I gather. But sits inside of an egg-crate!
:/

Ive been 140 with those hankook skinnies on the front of my car and they are rated for like 89 mph haha...

The driveshaft should not have come apart IMHO.

That definitely would be the last thing I would think would happen.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Rylay
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by justinschmidt1
so in short: he was a 2011 V6 mustang driver, until he took a drive shaft to the asphalt.
LOL memes know no bounds! (unlike his mustang)
Old 12-23-2011, 02:12 AM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

i dont understand why so many people are calling this guy an idiot for going past the speed limiter. i DO understand why you would call him an idiot for not stopping when he heard those weird noises, but for going past the govenor? PLEASE!

here's some basic info on governors: they are (generally) in place either because of the tire rating or because of government mandates. they should NOT be there because of a crappy/flawed design with the drivetrain assembly! if you fault the driver for that, you are an IDIOT yourself! there is a REV LIMITER designed to keep drivetrain components in tact, NOT a governor! i've hit about 135 in the '02 gt, no problems. buddys 95 and 97 cobras have both done well over that, for MILES, and no problems as a result. you mean to tell me technology is regressing, rather than progressing?? i don't care if it's "just a v6," this v6 has been portrayed, displayed, and advertised as a race vehicle. it should have the proper components in place to back that sh*t up...
Old 12-23-2011, 02:44 AM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by trailor
i dont understand why so many people are calling this guy an idiot for going past the speed limiter. i DO understand why you would call him an idiot for not stopping when he heard those weird noises, but for going past the govenor? PLEASE!

here's some basic info on governors: they are (generally) in place either because of the tire rating or because of government mandates. they should NOT be there because of a crappy/flawed design with the drivetrain assembly! if you fault the driver for that, you are an IDIOT yourself! there is a REV LIMITER designed to keep drivetrain components in tact, NOT a governor! i've hit about 135 in the '02 gt, no problems. buddys 95 and 97 cobras have both done well over that, for MILES, and no problems as a result. you mean to tell me technology is regressing, rather than progressing?? i don't care if it's "just a v6," this v6 has been portrayed, displayed, and advertised as a race vehicle. it should have the proper components in place to back that sh*t up...
Hows that saying go? "You can build something to be almost idiot proof, but there will always be a better idiot."

I mean no rudeness, but my best analogy is this; a bridge is built to move things such as cars, trailers, and other massive objects over it. Many bridges are portrayed as such. MANY bridges are too structurally unsound to even carry the weight of one car over them. This is because of constraints on money/time/or even practical use. When the bridge is clearly labeled to not have a certain weight exceeded and a man simply brushes the warning off and runs his 4X4 over it, then complains when it collapses on him, would you support him?

This driveshaft was made to withstand a lower speed than expected, probably because of constraints on practical use/money (I haven't seen many V6s trapping anything near 140mph on a standing 1/4 mile). When a clear sign (the limiter) is posted there, and the man brushed it off, how can you support him when he knew what he was doing was past the tolerances of the machine?

Quick Reply: Idiot Removes Governor on V6 Mustang, Driveshaft Removes Itself