Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

A 4-door Mustang, a bad joke?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 09:46 PM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I agree with most here that I wouldn't drive it, but look at it from a married man with kids view. It would honestly be a brilliant choice on Ford's part. If you don't like it, you would obviously not buy it and having a four door on the market won't even affect you. If you want an American muscle car, really your only option is the Charger, which I think would be awesome if they released a two-door version. LOL completely opposite stance. I love Chargers, just not as much as Mustang...
Old 05-18-2012, 10:41 AM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stuart McWilliams
Yeah, I agree with most here that I wouldn't drive it, but look at it from a married man with kids view. It would honestly be a brilliant choice on Ford's part. If you don't like it, you would obviously not buy it and having a four door on the market won't even affect you. If you want an American muscle car, really your only option is the Charger, which I think would be awesome if they released a two-door version. LOL completely opposite stance. I love Chargers, just not as much as Mustang...
If you want a true american muscle car you don't get a car with 4 doors. (Yah I know, what about the Charger... What about it? Not my fault they Effed up and put 2 extra doors on their 'previous' 2 door model by that name... Heck 'true' charger fans don't use doors LOL) Is that american muscle? No.. it's a 4 door sedan with a big motor.. Just like a Magnum (but with even more glass..) Is it fast? Sure. But it's not 'american muscle' anymore (sorry baby boomers..). 5, and 7 series BMWs can go fast. They are sedans. They don't blotch their marketing by trying to be 'something else'.

4 doors =\= sports car by nature.
2 doors with 2 or 2+2 seating = sports car, sports touring car

There are plenty of fun sedans out there - why spoil or taint a brand, to make a handful of mustang fanatics 'pleased'?

I am a married man. I have 2 girls aged 6 and 8. This is my DD, they rarely travel in it. Thus my decision to get something more I'd prefer, something affordable, decent on gas yet still give me some excitement. A fun to drive sporty DD. We have a SUV people mover, when it's family time we use it. I can always toss a seat down in my car and let the whole family crawl in (I did this week actually) and it's still fine. Darn, we had to move a seat to get them out...)

If I had a need to transport them more often in my car, I'd make a clear decision to not get a 2dr car in the first place. If I couldn't afford 2+ cars, I would not ask that a brand be spoiled to make what I would need, I would 'get' what I need from what's already available. I would never consider a 4dr SRA mustang as a good sedan - EVER. Sorry.. Already spent time in 'good' sedans. They already exist, why re-make the wheel?

If you are trying to weigh what you want vs what you can afford, and what you 'need'.. Well don't add 2 doors to my Mustang to make 'that' happen.

(No flames intended Stuart, just continuing the flow of thought here!)

Last edited by JayyVee; 05-18-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:55 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

Honestly, ford is dropping the ball by not offering a hot rear wheel drive sedan. Dodge is the only current offering, and Chevy will be joining the ranks again with their new 2014 SS sedan. (late 2013).

My mustang is 7 years old, and I love it. But with one child, and another in the future if nature wills it, the mustang will become a secondary driver. I'll need a sedan, and I won't give up on the V8 just yet.

Since Ford axed the vic / marquis I can only look at a Dodge Charger R/T or the base V8 offering of the SS sedan when it comes out. I'd love if ford would bring back a full size rear wheel drive sedan, but I guess they manouvered the Taurus in that slot with it's AWD V6. And while the sho is no slouch it is still a V6, and misses that signature exhaust tone I've grown to love.

I hope Dodge puts a manual in their chargers in the near future. I really hope the 2014 SS sedan will have a manual option. Automatics are ok, but if I can row my own gears I am more likely to go with that vehicle.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:30 PM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JayyVee
If you want a true american muscle car you don't get a car with 4 doors. (Yah I know, what about the Charger... What about it? Not my fault they Effed up and put 2 extra doors on their 'previous' 2 door model by that name... Heck 'true' charger fans don't use doors LOL) Is that american muscle? No.. it's a 4 door sedan with a big motor.. Just like a Magnum (but with even more glass..) Is it fast? Sure. But it's not 'american muscle' anymore (sorry baby boomers..). 5, and 7 series BMWs can go fast. They are sedans. They don't blotch their marketing by trying to be 'something else'.

4 doors =\= sports car by nature.
2 doors with 2 or 2+2 seating = sports car, sports touring car

There are plenty of fun sedans out there - why spoil or taint a brand, to make a handful of mustang fanatics 'pleased'?

I am a married man. I have 2 girls aged 6 and 8. This is my DD, they rarely travel in it. Thus my decision to get something more I'd prefer, something affordable, decent on gas yet still give me some excitement. A fun to drive sporty DD. We have a SUV people mover, when it's family time we use it. I can always toss a seat down in my car and let the whole family crawl in (I did this week actually) and it's still fine. Darn, we had to move a seat to get them out...)

If I had a need to transport them more often in my car, I'd make a clear decision to not get a 2dr car in the first place. If I couldn't afford 2+ cars, I would not ask that a brand be spoiled to make what I would need, I would 'get' what I need from what's already available. I would never consider a 4dr SRA mustang as a good sedan - EVER. Sorry.. Already spent time in 'good' sedans. They already exist, why re-make the wheel?

If you are trying to weigh what you want vs what you can afford, and what you 'need'.. Well don't add 2 doors to my Mustang to make 'that' happen.

(No flames intended Stuart, just continuing the flow of thought here!)
Yeah, I definitely see your point here, but there is still a market for nice four door American cars and right now being dominated by Chargers, as their is absolutely no competition in that sense. Yes, there are all the other four-doors that are out their by, say, Lexus, BMW, etc., but none are quite like the Charger.

By introducing a 4dr Mustang, potentially you could be splitting the sales for the Charger in half where Ford would be getting the other half. It would definitely make money, but like you said, may not be popular with every crowd.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:51 AM
Hamidar05
2nd Gear Member

Ever heard of a Torino, Galaxie, or the 500... or the Taurus with the Eco Boost!? There are plenty of models FORD could bring to the table to fill the role of a 4 Door performance car...

Doing that to the Mustang would be a betrayal of it's spirit.

Do I understand this is not the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, or even 00s...? Yes. Do I understand FORD can do what ever they think is marketable...? Yes. Do I like the idea? Hell No!

I can tell you I got rid of my Camaro #1 it was a big pig, #2 it was made in Canada, and #3 it has Metric bolts. Call me a dinosaur, an antique, a purist, whatever this is my opinion. I would rather they kill the line and not build them for several years then butcher it. We all see where Euro styling and lifestyle is going.....
Old 05-19-2012, 03:53 PM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

Wait, everyone who's hating on the four door, what if they were suicide doors? That would look sick! Or even if they did release the four mustang but you bought some hinges that would make them suicide? Look at the RX8 for a good example of suicide doors!