Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Rustoleum Paint Job!?

Old 06-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

Default Rustoleum Paint Job!?

I saw a car today in the parking lot with a flat black paint job. It was surprisingly even so I went home and looked up cheap ways of painting a car black. I came across some youtube videos of people painting their cars with Rustoleum, some paint thinner, and a roller!!! And it's all for about $50!! Is this true?? I'll post some links to the videos because it actually looked like it turned out good and the videos have good ratings. Remember, I've got that giant *** scratch on the side of my car and a paint job with a little bit of sanding would get that out. Tell me this is real!!!

And there are so many more good videos!! Don't just shoot me down here because this is actually looking very promising! Don't hate until you watch the videos.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:33 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Every little thing will scratch, chip, discolor that paint job. It will look like crap.

Maaco will paint your car for $200, but it will also look like crap and not last.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:35 PM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

Here's a link to another guy. What I like is that at the bottom he includes updates for up to three years. Three years and the paint still looks good!
Old 06-23-2012, 05:24 PM
ninefooter
1st Gear Member

Aren't you the guy that spray painted the interior of your car from brown to black and had overspray everywhere and it looked like crap? Spray painted your seats and ended up having to put new ones in anyway? Do yourself a favor and steer clear of spray cans As your friend (or not).. trust me.. put down the spray can and step away from the vehicle. Help me help you.

OR the other options keep spray painting everything and just become amazing at it.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:36 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Dude, really. I DID rattle can my mirrors and my SHR louvers, but please don't try anything bigger...not if you value your car anyway.

If you want to play with a $3k daily, I'd understand. If you care about your car though, you won't do this. I skimmed through the videos. Those finishes look good on older cars, but on yours, you'd regret it. I bet in person you can see the errors and problems with the finish much better. Guarantee those are 5 foot paint jobs at best.

Last edited by BleedinBlue; 06-23-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:48 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ninefooter
Aren't you the guy that spray painted the interior of your car from brown to black and had overspray everywhere and it looked like crap? Spray painted your seats and ended up having to put new ones in anyway? Do yourself a favor and steer clear of spray cans As your friend (or not).. trust me.. put down the spray can and step away from the vehicle. Help me help you.

OR the other options keep spray painting everything and just become amazing at it.

lolololo

Honestly man, the scratches will look better than trying to cover it up with spray paint.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:38 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Two words: vinyl wrap.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Cristoff
2nd Gear Member

Please do not try this at home. That truck in the first video looks OK, but it is only because the bar was set really low...

You will NOT like the results.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

This is a good way to ruin the resale value of your car. No scratch in the world is going to lower that like a rustoleum paint job will.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:29 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

21 hours before you can take the tape off??? Can you imagine how much dust would be in the paint before it is tack free?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rustoleum Paint Job!?