Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Jeremy Clarkson's Pasty English Ass Comes To America To Drive Some Mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 07:06 AM
MustangForums Editor
MustangForums Editor

Default Jeremy Clarkson's Pasty English *** Comes To America To Drive Some Mustangs

Welcome to Sunday Matinee, where we highlight classic car reviews or other longer videos I find on YouTube. Kick back and enjoy this blast from the past.

I always enjoy the British motoring press' take on American muscle cars. Many of them look at our Mustangs and Camaros and Challengers with this kind of detached amusement mixed with smug superiority. Maybe it's some kind of colonial thing.

But if they scoff at muscle cars, they're the ones who are missing out. While they zipped around in their little MGs and Sunbeams and dreadful Rovers, we were smoking rear tires and going really, really fast in a straight line. Handling? That's for weenies.

So it makes me happy that in this Top Gear clip from 1992, Jeremy Clarkson shows at least a little bit of appreciation for what may just be the quintessential American car, the Ford Mustang. We see him roll in a five-point-oh with the top down as he recounts the Mustang's history, kindly leaving out duds like the Mustang II. Very kind of you, Jeremy.

It's not a long clip, but it's a fun one, and it even closes with the host saying "God Bless America," most likely the first and only time in history that he has uttered that phrase. Be sure and rock out to the sweet Don Henley music, too. I know I did.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:59 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

F Jeremy Clarkson.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:45 PM
carlspeed
1st Gear Member

Awesome video
Old 02-12-2013, 07:36 PM
steev
2nd Gear Member

Not sure why this was reposted...

Anyway, I just managed to watch Sunday's episode of Top Gear. Not only did he explain why we love RWD cars in his 'review' of the Toyota GT86/Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ, but he gave Carroll Shelby a nice send off when he picked a GT500 as his £35,000 car for their train vs car race.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:59 PM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
F Jeremy Clarkson.

This.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Det.FrankBullitt
1st Gear Member

I have been a long time fan of Top Gear. Yea, they talk trash about American Muscle Cars, but its BS. Jeremy Clarkson has owned 2 Ford GT's and pulled a lot of strings to get them. {Top Gear, Season 8, Episode 1 7 May 2006} His co host Richard Hammond owns a 1969 Dodge Charger R/T, a 1967 Ford Mustang GT with a 390 in it, And a 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT-8. It seems to me what they say and what they do are two different things. Thats a lot of heavy duty American Muscle cars in my book. Perhaps they are saying what the BBC want's them to say after all it is TV. Jeremy Clarkson's personal life cracks me up. He acquired an F1A Jet Fighter XM172 and placed it in the front garden of his country home. The Lightning was subsequently removed on the orders of the local council, which denied Clarkson's claim that it was a "leaf blower" To me thats my kind of neighbor.

Last edited by Det.FrankBullitt; 02-12-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:50 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by 65Raven65
This.
I second this.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:45 AM
steev
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Det.FrankBullitt
I have been a long time fan of Top Gear. Yea, they talk trash about American Muscle Cars, but its BS. Jeremy Clarkson has owned 2 Ford GT's and pulled a lot of strings to get them. {Top Gear, Season 8, Episode 1 7 May 2006} His co host Richard Hammond owns a 1969 Dodge Charger R/T, a 1967 Ford Mustang GT with a 390 in it, And a 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT-8. It seems to me what they say and what they do are two different things. Thats a lot of heavy duty American Muscle cars in my book. Perhaps they are saying what the BBC want's them to say after all it is TV. Jeremy Clarkson's personal life cracks me up. He acquired an F1A Jet Fighter XM172 and placed it in the front garden of his country home. The Lightning was subsequently removed on the orders of the local council, which denied Clarkson's claim that it was a "leaf blower" To me thats my kind of neighbor.
There seems to be a party line there as they get some funding from the TV License fee.

Although since owning a Mustang, I don't really see much too wrong with the live rear axle handling wise that they complain so much about. Once you stiffen and get hefty anti roll bars, your wheels aren't really that independent...
Old 02-13-2013, 11:26 AM
Det.FrankBullitt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by steev
There seems to be a party line there as they get some funding from the TV License fee.

Although since owning a Mustang, I don't really see much too wrong with the live rear axle handling wise that they complain so much about. Once you stiffen and get hefty anti roll bars, your wheels aren't really that independent...
I agree. I think the real reason they like live rear axle's is easy to explain. Did you ever see the roads in England, they are so narrow compared to our roads. My drive way is wider. They must have head on collisions all the time. When I watch videos of them test driving a car in their country side it scares the crap out of me. Also they most likely are still mad that we kicked their Butts in the Revolutionary War, and if we hadn't come to their aid in WW2 they would all be speaking German now! Just my humble opinion.

Last edited by Det.FrankBullitt; 02-13-2013 at 11:28 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 02-13-2013, 02:49 PM
steev
2nd Gear Member

Well, we followed you into a few misguided battles since World War 2, but thanks for getting in after we did all the hard work...

What's weird is they love the 205 GTi, which when it was being made used a torsion beam rear suspension, which is basically joining the rear wheels together. Meh. I loved my 205 GTi, close ratio gears in a car that weighed a little over 1000kg was great fun, especially when the rear would slide out when I lifted off mid corner. I think it costing stupid amounts of money for petrol (I worked out it would be the equivalent of $130 to fill up my tank if it was in the UK) was the main reason the Mustang is frowned upon back home...

Quick Reply: Jeremy Clarkson's Pasty English Ass Comes To America To Drive Some Mustangs