Go Back   MustangForums.com > General Mustang Forums > Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.
Sponsored by CJ Pony Parts

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 09-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #11
TheLockNLoad
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch_Vert View Post
Intellectually, I can follow the "right car for the times" arguement, but I'm not persuaded. Some of the best cars ever maintained their concept, even when the concept wasn't what was expected for the times.

From an emotional stadpoint, I still vividly remember the day, as a kid of 12 or 13, my older (20-ish) cousin phoned to say he was going out to buy a brand new Mustang, and he'd be over right after to give my brother and I a ride.

We spent the entire afternoon picturing this:

Click the image to open in full size.

And THIS is what eventually rolls up...

The only winner in what was a complete tragedy to our young eyes was our other older cousin who'd recently bought a bright blue Maverick Grabber. He was instantly catapulted to the "cool cousin" title
Could have been worse, he could have showed up with one of these:

This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

Bama tune, Exhaust modded, Custom rear air diffuser, FRPP 4.56s, welded axle tubes, BMR Drag Race Package (Level 2), BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, Weld S71 15X9.2.5
Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial 315/60R15, JPC Line Lock... more to come

1956 F350:
Under construction ...
TheLockNLoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #12
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Ford Mustang
TorchVert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLockNLoad View Post

That is in no way "worse" than a Mustang II in my book. Sure, not the prettiest 71-73 ever, but give me a choice between that and a II, and I'm picking that one every time.

2005 Mustang 4.0L V6 'Vert
X-Charger Xtreme S/N 004 * 328 rwhp/ 339 rwtq
First X-Charged manual * First X-Charged 'vert * First X-Charger Xtreme manual
MF Ride of the Month: July 2011

Massachusetts Regional Chapter Forum
Torch_Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:58 PM   #13
Subbz
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2000 Mustang GT

I've been following these guys who's using the 78 Mustang II as their SEMA project car. https://www.facebook.com/ATeamRacingLLC
http://www.a-teamracingllc.com/

They're planning on putting a Ford Triton V10 inside the little Mustang II.

And their concept doesn't look too shabby either.

This is how it's coming along so far

Last edited by Subbz; 09-25-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Subbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #14
potman
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010 GT

The problem with 70's era Detroit is that all the cars were crap. Pure unadulterated crap, designed and built by people who seemingly didn't give a rats *** if it was good or not. It wasn't just Ford, it was ALL Detroit auto makers. Nissan and Datsun came in and Detroit had a ill thought out kneejerk reaction.

Sure, it may have had a great motor in it, but the overdone awkward trim also flew off the car while driving down the road, and the panel gaps ranged from 1mm to a centimeter.

Look at how we dressed in the 70's, then tell me with a straight face we could make a good car..... LOL

Last edited by potman; 09-25-2013 at 05:17 PM.
potman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #15
simpsonfan13
ELEKTRO-FIDE Moderator

Vehicle: .

I have long toyed with the idea of a II. No one has them. They ARE good looking cars when done right. Get rid of the goofy over-sized for the application turn-signals, change the taillights to something that doesn't look like a piece of cubist art gone awry and you are half-way there. The problem is that I too am restricted to a '74, and that resto parts are hard to find.
The traditional 302 is a solid way to go but a hotted-up 3.7 (if you could make it work) would be interesting too.
simpsonfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #16
simpsonfan13
ELEKTRO-FIDE Moderator

Vehicle: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by potman View Post
The problem with 70's era Detroit is that all the cars were crap. Pure unadulterated crap, designed and built by people who seemingly didn't give a rats *** if it was good or not. It wasn't just Ford, it was ALL Detroit auto makers. Nissan and Datsun came in and Detroit had a ill thought out kneejerk reaction.

Sure, it may have had a great motor in it, but the overdone awkward trim also flew off the car while driving down the road, and the panel gaps ranged from 1mm to a centimeter.

Look at how we dressed in the 70's, then tell me with a straight face we could make a good car..... LOL
The cars WERE well designed. The problem was the bean counters trying to save money where ever they could. Detroit rested on it's laurels figuring "the American consumer will never trust those Japanese cars. They're foreign. We can cut corners and keep our customer base." Well look who was wrong. It cost the Big 3 so much that only NOW are they clawing their way back up.
simpsonfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #17
potman
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010 GT

Simpson, you said it all.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #18
VistaBlue09
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2009 Mustang 4.0

Quote:
I really want a 74 (has to be a 74 to get around Cali smog) and drop a BBF in it
You should be good with a 1975, too, in terms of the smog police.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm

2009 Vista Blue V6 Premium w/Pony Package
Auto, 8.8 w/3.73 T-Lok, AM/Bama 91 Tune, BBK CAI, Duals, and some exterior and underhood styling.
VistaBlue09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #19
mustang country
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang

The only good thing I can say about the Mustang II was that it was driven by Jacqueline Smith, Farrah Fawcett, Kate Jackson and Cheryl Ladd in Charlie's Angels. Other than that, there's nothing much to say about that version of the Mustang. But thanks to the oil crisis of the 70s, Detroit underestimated the American consumer when they thought the public would buy their crappy-made cars. Because of this, people started to buy more imports from Japan and Europe. The "Big 3" are still feeling this impact today.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:39 AM   #20
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Ford Mustang GT
Smile

Quote:

I had a '73 Grande 302, C-4, 3.00 rear, decent mileage for the times, and I wouldn't mind having it back.
A best buddy had a '68 GT500KR and to keep miles low, he bought a 1974 Mach I Mustang II V-6 4 spd. It was OK for saving gas then, but looks just weren't there.

tbear853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:39 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement