Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Why The Mustang II Doesn't Deserve All The Hate

Old 09-13-2013, 02:06 PM
MustangForums Editor
MustangForums Editor

Default Why The Mustang II Doesn't Deserve All The Hate

Man, people sure do love hating on the Ford Mustang II, the malaise-era replacement for the icon that started the Pony Car genre. And you know what? This video convinced me that they're wrong.

Read more...
Old 09-13-2013, 03:47 PM
TheLockNLoad
1st Gear Member

Ha! I've been trying to tell people this for ages.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:02 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

My wife thinks I am crazy for wanting a 70's cobra.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:23 PM
TheLockNLoad
1st Gear Member

I really want a 74 (has to be a 74 to get around Cali smog) and drop a BBF in it

Last edited by TheLockNLoad; 09-14-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:31 AM
Hamidar05
2nd Gear Member

Nostalgia... is it's only value, just like Pinto and Gremlin lovers. Maybe you listened to Stairway to Heaven and lost your virginity in one... that would make you love any car and that is your right as an American.

"Yes, it's not all that attractive, and it's not very fast. Do you know how many cars from the mid-to-late 1970s were fast and good-looking?" This statement says it all

It's not so much I hate it, as I don't even acknowledge it as a Mustang. Just because Ford slapped a badge on it does not mean it was some engineering or aesthetic design wonder. It was a scrambled response to a crisis to try and stay competative with an economy based vehicle vs the shunned performance monster. But some people will pay money for anything and love it if it has 4 wheels.

Oil Price Chart

Hmmm.. is history repeating?

Last edited by Hamidar05; 09-14-2013 at 07:32 AM. Reason: cause I'm an idiot
Old 09-14-2013, 12:51 PM
vbstang13
3rd Gear Member

Motortrend car of the year for 1974, they even put a 302 v8 in the 1975 version.

The Mustang II was not what the first generation was nor is it what the current Mustangs are. It was a car for the times (remember the gas crisis) and sold well 385,000 in 74 versus 135,000 in 73. You can't get to the Fox body without having the Mustang II, it has and will continue to be an evolution for this iconic car.

I would love to add a 76 Cobra to my collection someday.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:50 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hamidar05
Hmmm.. is history repeating?
HaHa, get ready for the mustang 3 in 2015, AKA the 2 door fusion.

I hope I'm just joking.

I actually had a 74 (2800cc V-6) in the late 80's, at the time (for a teenager) it was a fun little car to drive, when it ran... it was a maintenance nightmare though, chasing problem after problem in that german engine, eventually had to abandon it at a junkyard in '93.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:44 AM
Mustang No.7

Originally Posted by danzcool
I actually had a 74 (2800cc V-6) in the late 80's, at the time (for a teenager) it was a fun little car to drive, when it ran... it was a maintenance nightmare though, chasing problem after problem in that german engine, eventually had to abandon it at a junkyard in '93.
I owned the same year model in 76. I put hooker headers on it, a weber two stage, two barrel carb and kicked the snot out of Datsun Z cars which were all the rage at the time. Did have problems with the tranny that were present when I bought the car, but after getting those fixed, it ran like a top. One of the few cars of the era that had true duals, I ditched the cats and swapped out the dual outlet muffler for dual glass packs. Sounded very European, looked good for the era and handled fairly well. While I like the CobraII, the spoilers were disproportionate to the rest of the car. But who can complain about the vehicle that restored the 302 to the lineup.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:50 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Intellectually, I can follow the "right car for the times" arguement, but I'm not persuaded. Some of the best cars ever maintained their concept, even when the concept wasn't what was expected for the times.

From an emotional stadpoint, I still vividly remember the day, as a kid of 12 or 13, my older (20-ish) cousin phoned to say he was going out to buy a brand new Mustang, and he'd be over right after to give my brother and I a ride.

We spent the entire afternoon picturing this:

And THIS is what eventually rolls up...

The only winner in what was a complete tragedy to our young eyes was our other older cousin who'd recently bought a bright blue Maverick Grabber. He was instantly catapulted to the "cool cousin" title

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 09-15-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:04 PM
Hamidar05
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
Intellectually, I can follow the "right car for the times" arguement, but I'm not persuaded. Some of the best cars ever maintained their concept, even when the concept wasn't what was expected for the times.

From an emotional stadpoint, I still vividly remember the day, as a kid of 12 or 13, my older (20-ish) cousin phoned to say he was going out to buy a brand new Mustang, and he'd be over right after to give my brother and I a ride.

We spent the entire afternoon picturing this:

And THIS is what eventually rolls up...

The only winner in what was a complete tragedy to our young eyes was our other older cousin who'd recently bought a bright blue Maverick Grabber. He was instantly catapulted to the "cool cousin" title
:icon_rofl:

Now that's funny right there!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why The Mustang II Doesn't Deserve All The Hate