Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

2014 Mustang will be the high point!

Old 06-02-2014, 02:28 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Default 2014 Mustang will be the high point!

Everything I see points towards the Mustang becoming just another mass produced car. (I HOPE I'M WRONG!) Based on the moves Ford is making they want the Mustang to sell more units like the original model, which was more a 20 year old girl secretary's car than a performance car. The styling of the 2015 is very close to half a dozen other cars which is not bad, but also not distinctive. From the headlights to the hood it is similar to other cars. The 2015 no longer grabs your eye like Mustangs always have. Now, people will say, "Is that a Mustang or a ....?" At least they are keeping the 5.0L Coyote, but who knows how long that will last? Marketing it worldwide will likely move towards a small, high economy engine. I note that very few 2014 GT's are seen on lots among the vast numbers of V-6 cars, which are a good choice for everyday use commuter use.

I just wish they would leave the Mustang as a high performance sports car for Mustang enthusiasts. I'm afraid in a few years the name Mustang will mean as much to Ford as did the name Thunderbird!

As Yogi Berra said, "It's Deja Vu all over again!" From a cool looking car in '57 that just needed some high performance added to make it great, to the horrible eyesore below still called a Thunderbird! How sad!

Could this be the 2019 Mustang with its cool 2.0L ecoboost engine?

Last edited by Mr. D; 06-02-2014 at 02:40 AM.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:52 PM
Ford604

I agree. Ford has made some great moves as well as some bonehead ones over the years and I fear that changing the Mustang to the more global design will end up ruining our beloved Mustang. The new body style for the 15's is already too much change for me. I don't like the look at all.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:10 PM
Cristoff
2nd Gear Member

They are going to lose a small percentage of "purists", but gain 10X as much in global sales.

What multi-national Company wouldn't do that? Change is scary, but needed if your company wants to survive. Who would have thought BMW would make a full electric car?

You have to think bigger than your own driveway.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:16 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cristoff
They are going to lose a small percentage of "purists", but gain 10X as much in global sales.

What multi-national Company wouldn't do that? Change is scary, but needed if your company wants to survive. Who would have thought BMW would make a full electric car?

You have to think bigger than your own driveway.
Indeed. QFT

Personally, being an older guy I'm stuck on the retro and consider my 10' to the pinnacle retro model year. But love is blind.....
Old 06-05-2014, 05:40 PM
Murgatroy
2nd Gear Member

For every 'this is the end' fairweather Mustang lover, that turns thier back on the new path, there will ten more to pick it up and love it.

It is the way it has been for decades. I personally didn't like the SN95 or the New Edge at all. However there were those that did.

You are more than welcome to stand on your soap box, but don't expect everyone to feel the same.

The more and more I look at the `15 Mustang, the more and more it grows on me. The more and more I read about the specs, the more and more it grows on me. This car is made to sell the world over and go toe to toe with other established sellers in different markets. Sure, here in the states we will still buy the V8 for a performance option, but I have a feeling the rest of the world is going to love the Ecoboost, and it will be targeted against BMW 2/3 Series and VW GTIs in Europe. Those are some pretty heavy hitters on that side of the pond. I think the World Mustang will do great.

But I happen to like my `13 more.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:40 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Some are taking this discussion as if it is an vengeful attack on the new Mustang rather than just expressing differences in taste. I like Mustangs, but the design of the 2015 Mustang is not likely to make me jump off a bridge. I have other reasons for that!

The point I was trying to make about the 2015 is that it seems Ford is letting go of the "distinctive look" Mustang got back to finally. The 2015 Mustang is morphing into a XYZ look like a Toyota Camry when it copied the Mercedes body style look! The Mercedes. Toyota, Honda, etc. looks was a practical design, but not very distinctive! I hope the 2015 is very successful as it is good for the Ford workers. I just look at the new Mustang and notice how it is getting to look more like a quite a few other cars. I'm sure Ford thinks that will help sales world wide, and they are probably right. My point is a purely selfish one! I like cars like the Mustang to look like no other car, to be completely distinctive! I might buy a Toyota or Honda for a practical transportation car and not care if the styling is very common, but with a Mustang, I want it to look more distinctive.

Look at the two pictures below and tell me you don't see my point! OK, I cheated & Photoshopped the one on the right a bit to make the point! The Jaguar looks similar too! (SMILE) Can you tell what I did? Actually more changes then you might pick up immediately! I think I improved the Fusion! (Grin)

Last edited by Mr. D; 06-06-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:50 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

The front looks similar. The rear though is distinctive (which is what most people will see hyuk hyku khklyufk).

I have seen a few yesterday (at a distance, one with camo, one without) and the rear end with the tail lights lit up at a stop light was very distinctive.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:01 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
The front looks similar. The rear though is distinctive (which is what most people will see hyuk hyku khklyufk).

I have seen a few yesterday (at a distance, one with camo, one without) and the rear end with the tail lights lit up at a stop light was very distinctive.
Maybe I'll like the looks of a 2015 GT 500 better!
Old 06-07-2014, 01:45 PM
Genxer
1st Gear Member

I am going to wait until seeing one in person before gaging my like or dislike. With all the spoilers/ stripes / wheels, etc that is usually available, Mustang owners can set them apart as much as they want.

Like it or not many cars today have similar shapes now due to design standards such as crash test safety and aerodynamic efficiency. They are cars intended for mass appeal so compromise is going to happen.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:54 PM
Cristoff
2nd Gear Member

I guess it's pretty easy to find things that look alike...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 Mustang will be the high point!