Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Ford Mustang GT vs Dodge Challenger R/T – Which Has the Most Muscle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 08:41 PM
ardian075

Default Ford Mustang GT vs Dodge Challenger R/T – Which Has the Most Muscle?

Ford Mustang GT vs Dodge Challenger R/T –
Which Has the Most Muscle?
http://www.tophotcars.com/ford-musta...challenger-rt/
Old 10-29-2014, 11:42 PM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

While I don't have a new Mustang or a new Challenger, we have a 2009 Challenger R/T and a 2010 Mustang GT.

Here's a review/comparison of the two I posted here and on a Challenger forum a few years ago if anybody is interested:

Challenger vs. Mustang observations

We have one of each in our family. For those who haven't experienced both I thought this might be interesting.

The Challenger of course feels more solid and feels like it rides better, thus making it a bit more comfortable. When you get on it, the power band feels more linear, it pulls steadily and evenly whereas the Mustang gives you what feels like a power boost when it gets above 4000 RPM or so.

Its easier to get the Mustang sideways banging into 2nd gear, possible due to the live rear axle? Its a lot easier to break the tires loose in general in the Mustang also. My 2010 GT will boil the tires from a standstill, and it breaks loose going into 3rd gear too. Anybody that's driven a Mustang knows the 1st to 2nd gear change can be downright dangerous due to the rear of the car kicking out so far.

I know the car magazines say the Mustang handles better and I believe it, but it makes you work for it. The Challenger seems to stick to the road easier, again possibly due to the independent rear suspension. The Challenger seems more "driver friendly", for lack of a better term.

For everyday use I'd probably opt for the Challenger. Its easier to get a kid in and out of the back, and its trunk is more usable. The ride is softer and good for carrying my mother in law who appreciates a comfy ride. That said, when I'm alone I much prefer the Mustang. It's more nimble and can zig zag through traffic on the freeway easier, I guess due to its smaller size.

I love the looks of both, but by a HUGE margin the Challenger gets more waves, thumbs ups, and "cool car" comments. That bright orange beast sitting in the parking lot is a real head turner!

Overall I love 'em both, but would probably choose the GT over the R/T. Of course my wife would choose the opposite, good thing the Mustang is mine and the Challenger is hers!

I love having the both in the family, I'd hate to see either one go.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:51 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Mopar is coming hard this year, I'd like to own both myself.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:14 AM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

Let's see what the extra weight vs. it's new IRS on the Mustang does to it's "actual" figure eight and slalom times, not to mention it's established times at well know road course test tracks.. It's easy to hype a new car, but I would like to see the actual numbers before I say or commit any opinion.

My 06' is completely fit out with suspension, chassis stiffening, brakes, and a twin screw SC, plus standard weight loss items including some of the items above, and it stills weighs 3520 lbs and has a 53/47 weight ratio with the Supercharger. Weight makes a large difference in regular street and tight corner handling. Erik