Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Ford Dealership Totals Owner’s Shelby Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 04:08 PM
MustangForums Editor
MustangForums Editor

Default Ford Dealership Totals Owner’s Shelby Mustang

Imagine taking your 2008 Shelby GT500 to a Ford dealership to have the vehicle routinely checked and then learning that a serviceman totaled your car and you won’t be fully compensated.

Read the rest on the Mustang Forums homepage. >>
Old 04-17-2015, 04:28 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

since when can u sue for "previous service" lol its tough but if u mod a car you had better let your insurance company know so they can up the coverage to cover your mods.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:48 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Insurance be damned. The dealer should pay out of pocket for damages not covered by insurance. THEY caused this damage due to their negligence and abuse.

This is *precisely* why I tape a note to my dash when I drop my cars off at the dealer. The note makes it very clear nobody is authorized to take my vehicle off their property without my presence. The mileage is logged, hours on the clock, fuel, etc etc.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:45 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

that sucks Im sure there was some sprited driving. Its why i dont like taking my car to dealership. I have on a limited basis. Now Ill take my car to the performance shop (Brenspeed) and they will always test drive the car after the modifications are done. I expect them to abuse it a bit just to make sure its gonna run strong. But they are also use to cars having power and the techs at ford get a car like this and oh I have to check the tranny. Its shift weird so that means ah I get to beat on it a bit
Old 04-18-2015, 12:52 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Yeah, that sucks a lot. I don’t see how the guy could expect to get money back for previous service, or for any mods that he did. Just like when selling a car, you rarely get the money you paid for mods back. I’m surprised he actually got back more then he paid for it and way more then the car is worth. According to kelly blue book, that car is worth between 23k & 28k from a dealer and between 22.5k & 25.5k from a private party with (I’m guessing) 71k miles on it. The article says he paid $37k for it and got $39k from the dealers insurance company. I think he made out like a bandit on the ‘deal’.

btw, according to kbb, the car would have had to have between 5k & 10k miles on it in very excellent condition for it to be worth $37k.

Last edited by petrock; 04-18-2015 at 01:01 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:43 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Those cars don't usually have a lot of miles on them. It is likely it only had maybe 20k miles on it.

I'm curious what modifications were done on that car.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:22 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

My brother-in-laws ’07 GT500 has 70k+ miles on it. It’s his daily driver, though. Either way, with 20k miles on it the thing is still not worth $37k even in absolutely mint condition. Everyone knows mods don’t really increase the value of your car no matter how much we wish it did. But yeah, it would be interesting to know what mods were done since those cars are pretty tricked out to begin with (at least in the powertrain). Looks like it does have aftermarket rims though.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:11 AM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

I can't say I blame the guy. He made out ok but I can see him wanting more. Imagine having a car, taking care of it and then having it completely destroyed by some jackass tech who thinks he can drive. You then can't find a car as clean as yours, or one with the same options as well taken care of. The mods on the car should have been part of the payout too. He should get every penny needed to replace that car with those mods. On top of Ford offering him something to keep him as a customer.

This is why I never bring my car in for service anywhere. I do it all myself. If I have to drop it off, I wait and watch it like a hawk and set the tuner to limit RPM to basically nothing. I've gone as far as screaming across a parking lot at a tech who tried test driving my car. I specifically told them NO TESTDRIVES. I made him throw the car in reverse and park it. These techs beat the **** out of our cars more than we do. We do all the work, all the maintenance, pay for everything with our hard earned money and then they get to destroy it because they have a job that gives them access to awesome cars. Sorry I think the guy is right in wanting more.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:37 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I agree with 69mustangcoupe