Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Shelby GT350 Catches Fire at 100 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 01:00 PM
MustangForums Editor
MustangForums Editor

Default Shelby GT350 Catches Fire at 100 MPH

Major engine failure in a Shelby GT350 at Roebling Road Raceway caused this scary scene.

Read the rest on the Mustang Forums homepage. >>
Old 08-06-2016, 09:16 PM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

Article said Ford bought the car back after the cause of the failure was determined. Gotta give Ford kudos for that!
Old 08-06-2016, 11:20 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Plus being such a high profile car for the company, you know they will dissect and inspect, to find a fix, so that it won't happen again.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:29 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

And there I was thinking that only Ferraris and Lamborghinis self-combusted.
I bet the driver's seat was brown by the time HiPo Joe stepped out of the car, and it was a blessing that he could run away from it.
Kudos indeed to Ford for buying the car back but I now wonder whether they'll issue a safety recall to replace the suspect oil cooler thermostats on other GT350s so they won't suffer the same fate and cost Ford millions of $$$$$.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:13 PM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
Kudos indeed to Ford for buying the car back but I now wonder whether they'll issue a safety recall to replace the suspect oil cooler thermostats on other GT350s so they won't suffer the same fate and cost Ford millions of $$$$$.
I seriously doubt they'll issue a safety recall over one incident but as AK_Kayaker pointed out, they will do some serious investigations as to the problem and applying a fix. They will at the very least, issues a service bulletin to the dealer networks on this one. Then again, it might just turn out to be a fluke, an improperly installed retaining clip maybe? It'll be interesting to see what they discover.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:02 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Joe is a cool driver.

I would have panicked.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:58 PM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by movielover40
Joe is a cool driver.

I would have panicked.
Bet he wasn't "feeling" very cool there for a few seconds!

Everyone is different. In that situation, his only chance to avoid really bad injuries or possibly death, was to keep his composure and not give up. Even with everything going to he** in a handbasket, he never quit driving the car. That's the key, never quit driving the car, no matter what. Circumstances may add up to it not making much difference sometimes. Then again, as in this case, it can make all the difference in the world.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:26 PM
thestigmach1

Default Moral of the story remove cats

So essentially what we learned today is that catalytic converters are dangerous and cause fires, therefore they should be outlawed and all of them removed. The cars will run better without them anyway.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:56 AM
User 92421
IN JAIL!

Originally Posted by thestigmach1
So essentially what we learned today is that catalytic converters are dangerous and cause fires, therefore they should be outlawed and all of them removed. The cars will run better without them anyway.
that's not how cars work bro
Old 11-20-2016, 07:42 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Intrepid175
I seriously doubt they'll issue a safety recall over one incident but as AK_Kayaker pointed out, they will do some serious investigations as to the problem and applying a fix. They will at the very least, issues a service bulletin to the dealer networks on this one. Then again, it might just turn out to be a fluke, an improperly installed retaining clip maybe? It'll be interesting to see what they discover.
Have you tried to buy a new (not used) GT350 in the last 5 days? Ford did issue a recall for this issue and if you check Carfax on used ones, the same recall is outstanding. Worst part is that repair parts are not in the system with scheduled release sometime in the first quarter. It is a $21K fine if a dealer sells a new one with the recall. Every car within 350 miles of me is on hold at dealers, at least the dealers diligent enough to check before they send the car out the door.