Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Just a thought but I think Ford is going to have to step it up a notch

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 02:30 PM
XxphantomsnypzxX
3rd Gear Member

Default Just a thought but I think Ford is going to have to step it up a notch

Well with the Camaro concept finally shown officially, and word of its 400hp, I think Ford is going to have to do something to compete, of course the price of the Camaro is a big question mark, if it will be about the same as a new mustang then ford needs to do something but if its closer to the price of the gt500 ford shouldnt be in as big a trouble but at the same time the variable that we can not answer yet is, will the build quality of the camaro be better than its predecessors? I think that will be the difference between mustangs and camaros if they are similiar price
Old 01-10-2006, 02:45 PM
gta289
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Just a thought but I think Ford is going to have to step it up a notch

I personally dont even think the Camero will evn come out, and even if it does, it wont look anywhere near the concept model. Just look at the new mustang when it was a concept, it was way too expensive to build, so in turn they chopped the hell out of it, just liek thay will the camero. I dont think it will come back out because, why did it go down the first time.... lack of sales, and they were built like crap
Old 01-10-2006, 03:05 PM
dragonfans04GT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Just a thought but I think Ford is going to have to step it up a notch

Well, the last I heard, they were also talking about using that bigass 6.0 liter engine for the new Camaro too. Since Ford has already beefed up the 5.4 in the new GT500, I think that they should use the same engine with no supercharger in the GT. It'll be like the 99+ Mustangs in the sense that they had 4.6 2V in the GT and 4.6 4V with superchargers in the Cobra. Of course, that really doesn't make up for the time and money spent designing the 3V. Hell, they could make the 4.6 3V available for base model GTs and the 5.4 only for premium model GTs.
I think that Chevy will need to look really hard before doing anything, as I'm sure that they have. Their latest exploits to make a faster ride haven't done so well that I've seen. Take that pickup they made, I've seen only a very small handfull on the road, but I've seen a lot of SVT Lightnings. Then you have the GTO, good comeback car in concept, but the body on the car was horrible in my opinion. I hear that the new 06 GTO has some ***** to it though. Chevy should stick to the Vette. I really don't think that they can compete in the market and price range of the Mustang...unless they want to drop the price of the Vette about $25K.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:12 AM
turbostang21
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gta289

I personally dont even think the Camero will evn come out, and even if it does, it wont look anywhere near the concept model. Just look at the new mustang when it was a concept, it was way too expensive to build, so in turn they chopped the hell out of it, just liek thay will the camero. I dont think it will come back out because, why did it go down the first time.... lack of sales, and they were built like crap
exactly....thats why it's called a CONCEPT car....it is meant to draw/guage attention. they will not build it like that...too expensive. IF they build one at all, but i can't see them letting the mustang run alone for too long
Old 01-12-2006, 01:39 PM
91 5.0
1st Gear Member

they will make it, but like gta289 said, it will be different. he face is to menacing for the average car. maybe a more subtle v6 and then a mean (concept) looking ss. like ford did with the gt500, a much more aggresive stallion.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:28 PM
757GT
I ♥ Acer

If all of these cars do come out then Ford will need to put more power in the Stang. The GT will be severly outpowered by the Challenger and the Camaro. If Ford does not go with more power than I will probably get the Challenger.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:45 PM
mysticsvtcobra96
2nd Gear Member

yeah i dont think ford will do anything as far as power goes....because look at history..the camaro smokes the mustang in every year that the camaro was built (except for specal model mustangs) and you still see alot more mustangs then you do camaros and t/as anyday
Old 02-04-2006, 10:42 PM
trevman2

ORIGINAL: mysticsvtcobra96

yeah i dont think ford will do anything as far as power goes....because look at history..the camaro smokes the mustang in every year that the camaro was built (except for specal model mustangs) and you still see alot more mustangs then you do camaros and t/as anyday
I did some research on the production numbers, and the Camaro did not outsell the Mustang in every year of production, especially the last few years of the Camaro. For instance, Mustangs outsold Camaro/Firebird/Trans Am put together more than 2 to 1 in 1998 (170,642 Mustangs to 80,647 GM crap). In 1999, just the black and white Mustangs by themselves (43,730) outsold Camaro for the entire year. In 2000, there were 45,417 Camaros built total but there were 39,791 Mustangs built with black exteriors. From 1986-1993, Mustangs totaled 1,392,124 and Camaro was 821,020. The Camaro numbers gradually went down as the 5.0 became more popular after its reintroduction in 1982, and that is why GM took it off the market.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:54 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

I don't think we need to worry about a new Craparo as it would cost GM 1.5 billion as a minimum to develop it and GM claims not to have any money.
I don't see how they can have any money just now......
Old 02-05-2006, 04:53 AM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: trevman2

ORIGINAL: mysticsvtcobra96

I did some research on the production numbers, and the Camaro did not outsell the Mustang in every year of production, especially the last few years of the Camaro. For instance, Mustangs outsold Camaro/Firebird/Trans Am put together more than 2 to 1 in 1998 (170,642 Mustangs to 80,647 GM crap). In 1999, just the black and white Mustangs by themselves (43,730) outsold Camaro for the entire year. In 2000, there were 45,417 Camaros built total but there were 39,791 Mustangs built with black exteriors. From 1986-1993, Mustangs totaled 1,392,124 and Camaro was 821,020. The Camaro numbers gradually went down as the 5.0 became more popular after its reintroduction in 1982, and that is why GM took it off the market.
i think he meant power and performance wise camaros smoked mustangs...but the mustangs still outsold the camaros....

Quick Reply: Just a thought but I think Ford is going to have to step it up a notch