Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Interest in Special Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 04:32 AM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

Default Interest in Special Mustang?

Before I start, I've read the rules, and what I'm asking here is for feedback to gauge interest. I am the Internet/eBay Sales Manager for a dealer in Houston. I'm trying to get permission from my general sales manager to build a special Mustang to sell. Currently the car described does not exist and is not for sale. If this car does come into existance, I will notify y'all in the classified section. (Also, in case you're wondering, I'm on my fourth Mustang - I've had an 85 GT, 89 GT (10's @ 128mph), 99 Cobra, and now I have an 03 Mach I)

I came up with the idea because I got tired of dealerships putting excessive cosmetic upgrades on Mustangs and trying to charge out the nose for them. I want to build a mustang that puts all that money into performance. (no offense to those who choose to install body kits, etc - many of them look way-cool, but it's just not for me)

It would consist of the following:

Mustang GT, base 5-spd model (still has ac, pwr windows, etc)
Dampers M-18000-A (struts)
Lowering Springs M-5300-K
Sway Bars M-5490-A
Strut Tower Brace M-20201-S197
All components are designed to work together as a package Lowers car approximately 1-1/2"
Dampers, uniquely tuned by Multimatic Motorsports
90mm Cold Air Kit M-9603-GT410
4.10 ratio Ring and Pinion M-4209-G410A
Gear Installation Kit M-4210-A
Shorty Headers M-9430-S197
Super Short Throw Shifter designed by Ford Racing and Hurst M-7210-T
High-Flow exhaust (Borla or Bassanni)
Includes the Pro-Cal tool with official Ford Racing calibration
Gram Lights 57S (18x8.5) with Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position (255/45YR18)

So the question is how much would something like this be worth? In order for my boss to go for it, I'd probably have to show an adjusted MSRP around $33k.

So what do you think?

Old 02-17-2006, 11:14 AM
sicride
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Interest in Special Mustang?

honestly, this is one of those things that you'll get the money from a few people for it.. but it wont be a big production. If you build like two of these then set them on the lot or in your showroom and advertise on Ebay or something you could probably get the cars sold and then slowly produce again one or two.

There will be a market, but it'll be slim in comparison to all the other options people have out there. The good part is you're going with all Ford Racing so the warranty wouldn't be void. Thats a huge selling point.

I think in order for it to really sell you'll have to put some sort of identifying visuals on. You have no exhaust listed... If you could find a company to custom make a side exit exhaust fully legal for a good price and make like 10 of these.. Then maybe a custom emblem replacing the GT emblems I bet this car would sell a ton better and even go down in the books as a unique special edition.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:52 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

I second installing some kind of aftermarket exhaust on it, and some kind of visual clue that it is something special whether that be stripes, or emblems, or both. What you're describing reminds me of Yenko and Baldwin-Motion, those names are of course legend now, but many people don't realize those are actually dealership names.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:50 PM
ByPopularDemand
5th Gear Member

Its funny how that works. Visual cues work better than performance upgrades. Wouldnt camber plates come in handy if you drop it 11/2 inches. I agree you need an exhaust upgrade too.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:16 PM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

Thanks, yeah, I noticed I didn't list an exhaust (what self respecting Mustanger wouldn't have an exhaust?!), consider that fixed!

I'm not sure if I could get away with replacing the GT emblems. Also, I wasn't kidding myself about selling lots of these - I was thinking maybe one per month ... maybe. I am trying to keep the cost down - there're already enough $50,000 Mustangs out there - we need one for the rest of us!

keep the feedback coming - maybe some ideas for a name?

Old 02-19-2006, 02:08 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Your employer could be putting himself in a lot of jepordy by making and selling the cars due to EPA standards and also the safety folks.
As much as I love cars the world is what it is and with a lawyer every 35 feet a lot of good times/fun is ruined.......
I like the basic idea but I also second an aftermarket exhaust system (that works) and the CnC plates........
Old 02-19-2006, 05:21 AM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

I was careful to select packages from Ford Racing that are EPA certified, so there's no issue with getting the car inspected - even in California. As far as other liability issues, another dealer I worked for did suspension work, body work, etc. But, they concentrated more on dress-up stuff than performance and the prices were such that they would wind up giving it away because, in my opinion, the cars lacked "bang" for the buck from a performance standpoint. As someone who has always appreciated performance, if I were to spend $33-$35k on a Mustang, I better be getting something for it. Looking good is one thing, but I want to be able to back the looks up. You could always add "visual cues" I suppose, but I'm wanting to keep the price down. I do like chin spoilers (like my Mach I) and the Saleen style spoiler. Another reason I'm trying to stay away from too much visual stuff, is for the stealth effect.

My current employer is owned by a corporate entity. They may be more restrictive, but "better to beg forgiveness than ask permission" if you know what I'm saying!

This is all great feedback - keep it up - thanks.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:40 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Badge it as the Mustang FR. I would say the FR500.......but thats a different beast that's already done, and the "500" moniker has been tossed around Ford products far too much. A really cool custom designed FR badge to replace the GT emblems on the fender and rear deck would be well done. If this baby comes down off the lot with lots more performance (both power and handling wise) you can bet there will be a few ppl (like myself) who will take interest. Good luck, whatever route u go.

BTW....if you want to go with at least one cosmetic change to the stock appearance, I say have a shop design a custom ducktail kit. And I'm not talkin about one of these "tacked-on lookin" ducktails........but a unit that has perfect curves that meld in seamlessly with the body lines of the car. THAT would be just the perfect accessory to set it apart from all the stock GTs out there.