Mustang Videos This forum is for video's pertaining to Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, Mustangs, and Off Topic.

SRT-4 vs. Vette C5

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 03:18 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: SRT-4 vs. Vette C5

ORIGINAL: own3dbyyou

why is he a dumbass? Seems to me it was a setup race, meaning they were probably just having fun racing each other...Everyone always turns that into a life and death competition where the slower guy is always a ****ing retard or something.

They're probably good friends and just want to see what the SRT4 had, slower yes, but it's getting there. I'm sure theres a bunch of 12 second SRT4s out there right now.

Honestly...I just think the Vette either paced him or didn't use his n20 to see what the SRT4 had against him.
Not that im saying the guy IS a dumbass, cause I dont agree, but your saying you go out with a video camera and film yourself screwing around? I have never lined up with somebody and not given it everything she had, at least thru the first couple gears. Even when something stupid like a avenger etc revs ya at least gotta burn em down thru 1st and 2nd.

I would assume the vette is mostly stock, if not completely so. My sound is ****ed up atm so I cant hear the cars.

I do agree that someone is NOT a dumbass for racing a car, even if they have no hope. I would race a big block car, just for the simple fact I acutally enjoy seeing a high horsepower car run. To me, nothing is more impressive than a moderatly fast car getting its *** handed to it several times over by a super fast one
Old 05-01-2004, 03:23 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stinger

First off those SRT are pretty quick and can whip most stock stangs. Yea sorry to hurt some of your guys egos. I drive 2 stangs and my 2 cars run pretty good but when my 91 GT vert was Bone Stock it best at 95Mph and a time of 14.6 . He would beat me . Wow ! So if i had a 13.5 Stang and raced that C5 would i be a Dumb @ss? Probally no one would say anything other then good kill for the vette. Those guys might not be driving a GT stang or a ZO6 but doesnt mean they are any less cause of it. Bet his gas mileage is nice. Also its probally a 1/8th mile mark when they pass the camera and the Vetter had almost 2 cars on him . So even if the Neon does 13.5 and that vette does 13.2 would make them almost even at half track so i think he was using the 100 shot. Driver makes a big differnce you all no this .Plus it makes a diifernce if he has a bottle warmer and if its a wet or dry kit. Just cause he has a 100 shot doesnt automatically mean he just got 100 more HP. There is forum racing and then there is street racing and in street racing stuff happens. Well thats my 2 cents .Stinger--->
The fastest (that I have seen/heard of) SRT-4 was at about 500 HP, and that was a completely rebuilt and tweaked setup, new turbos, built bottom end, headwork etc.

Most run of the mill modded SRT-4s dont run much under a 13 flat. The problem lies in what the owners are so proud of, aka the car is a factory tuned car. All this really means to me is that there isnt much more performace to be gotten out of the stock setup.

There is absolutly no way a stage one SRT-4 was doing that well against a vette with a 100 shot. There is no evedence from the vid that he miss shifted etc, and from what I can see (cant hear) the vette didnt smoke the tires.

Mustang vs SRT-4, I gotta go with the stang at any time. Once again this was a car well within my pricerange at the time I purchased, so I did do some reasearch on it. Stock vs Stock a 99+ should either pull on one or run door to door with equal drivers. And as I said, things start getting real hard to improve around the 13.0-12.7 range, or so it seems from what I have seen/heard/read.
Old 05-01-2004, 03:36 AM

no 2kgt, I've never filmed myself out racing, I really don't have the time or money to waste the premium gas right now. If anything revs at me (which is very VERY rare) I don't really care anymore. I let them burn and get the ticket. I don't want it.

and in your next post you say the guy built the bottom end of his srt4 to handle 500 hp? Was he a retard or was that an un-educated guess on your part? those motors are already built for mad crazy hp numbers from the factory.

They're nothing but Dodge-parts-bin motors.... and very well thought out ones at that.

Old 05-01-2004, 03:53 AM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

srt4's are so underated...rated at 220 crank hp, they actually dyno 220whp...
Old 05-01-2004, 03:58 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

no 2kgt, I've never filmed myself out racing, I really don't have the time or money to waste the premium gas right now. If anything revs at me (which is very VERY rare) I don't really care anymore. I let them burn and get the ticket. I don't want it.

and in your next post you say the guy built the bottom end of his srt4 to handle 500 hp? Was he a retard or was that an un-educated guess on your part? those motors are already built for mad crazy hp numbers from the factory.

They're nothing but Dodge-parts-bin motors.... and very well thought out ones at that.
What i am saying about the filming is, you acutally think someone would bother to get out a camera and film a race, and one of the people wasnt trying?

The information is is coming direct from the SRT forums, about a vid of a SRT-4 dynoing at 500 or so HP. The numbers they are producing are impressive, until you stop to consider that most if not all of the componets of the engine have been replaced, as well as the turbo.

The main reason I didnt get an SRT-4 is because of the money you start getting into if you want to dip past the 13 range. Its super easy and cheap to get them to 13s, but it starts getting pricey from there. Comparing this to a mustang I can get into the 12s easily with a few thousand dollars, I didnt see much of a competition. SRT-4s are interesting neat little cars, but in the end you are still driving a neon, no matter how fast it is. 14 second car or no, its still a rental car at heart.

This is all about 4 month old data however, as my computer got a reinstall a while back and I didnt bother to save my password. After this I just didnt bother to get another login on the SRT forums. However I have still not seen anything on an SRT-4 over about 500 horse.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:39 AM

I challenge you to get your 2kGT into the 12s with "just a few grand"

What would that be? a v chip and a 150 shot of nitrous? Yeah. See the SRT4 has only been out for a little bit of time, let the aftermarket get up on it's rear and you'll start to see 500 hp SRT4s on stock blocks all over the place. I have already seen a video of an srt4 peaking the dyno past the 500 mark.

At the heart the ONLY thing associated between the SRT4 and the normal Neon is the body, nothing else. So whether you think it's just a "rental car" or not is irrelevant and, frankly... wrong.

But the funny thing is the "Neon" platfrom is running 14s and is right along with Fords v8 pony car.

Old 05-01-2004, 02:46 PM
Denis85
1st Gear Member

own3d its really easy to mod a turbo car for less money, its hard to get a N/A car, its impossible without NOS to make it for 2k$ 2 sec faster in 1/4. But I still like my v8 n/a than any turbo or s/c car. The reason I didnt buy a 03 cobra was cuz s/c.
Old 05-02-2004, 01:25 AM

ORIGINAL: Denis85

own3d its really easy to mod a turbo car for less money, its hard to get a N/A car, its impossible without NOS to make it for 2k$ 2 sec faster in 1/4. But I still like my v8 n/a than any turbo or s/c car. The reason I didnt buy a 03 cobra was cuz s/c.
Thanks. you backed me up. Weerd.

Old 05-02-2004, 08:41 PM
motrV8ed

I think the IDEA of the SRT-4 is cool...but it's still a neon. And neons in my book are FUGLY, plus I've seen them riced out too many times in VERY bad taste.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:42 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I challenge you to get your 2kGT into the 12s with "just a few grand"

What would that be? a v chip and a 150 shot of nitrous? Yeah. See the SRT4 has only been out for a little bit of time, let the aftermarket get up on it's rear and you'll start to see 500 hp SRT4s on stock blocks all over the place. I have already seen a video of an srt4 peaking the dyno past the 500 mark.

At the heart the ONLY thing associated between the SRT4 and the normal Neon is the body, nothing else. So whether you think it's just a "rental car" or not is irrelevant and, frankly... wrong.

But the funny thing is the "Neon" platfrom is running 14s and is right along with Fords v8 pony car.
Well except the interior, the frame, and the build quailty. Its not a spectacular car. Its an attempt to recapture what the mustang did originally, a car that is as fast as it's peers, but affordable to almost anyone.

They have been out for almost 2 years now. While 500 HP is impressive out of a 4cyl car, its not like there are more than a few. For the longest time they didnt even break the 13s. Unless plans have changed in the last few months, dodge isnt planning on contiuing them much past the 04 year, or so the rumor goes on the SRT board.

So far, I have spend right around (with tax) 2000 dollars. This isnt counting my drag radials, but I needed new rubber all the way around anyway. 600 more gets me a 50-150 shot from zex. It will be running around a 75 shot to start.

Add in a custom tune for the shot (200 or so dollars) and im into the 12s for under 3K. If i had wanted to add the spray sooner it could have been cheaper, but I want the car ready for the spray.

Its an impressive little car, don't get me wrong. I have alot of respect for the SRT-4. However in the end I do not beileve it is going to be as easy to get one into the 12s, and certianly not into the 11s. Not to mention the fact that in my area support for the SRT-4 is even more lacking than support for the 4.6 modular engines. I have only seen one SRT-4 running around my area, and never seen a modded one. I have absolutly no chance of getting any kind of tuning or support, unless there is an unheard of shop around here.