New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Newby Has Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 05:56 AM
Muffstain76

Default Newby Has Project

I am new to the Forum and hopefully I can help some and get some help sometimes. I bought three mustangs, an 83 GLX, 88LX, and a 91GT for 2000.00. My goal is to have one mustang when I finish. I am using a three step process...Functionality, Beautification, and Performance. First step will be to get it running and functional. Second step will be to make it beautiful, and third step is to go ALL out.

I have already parted out the 83 and sold most of the parts on ebay, I recovered 700.00. The 88 LX is my keeper, I am going to make her shine. Unfortunately the 88 was a four banger, but now it's a clone. The Gt's inards went inside the 88lx...complete wiring harnesses, engine, trans, rear,..etc..

The 91GT was wrecked really hard and bent the frame, so it's a donor. Also the parts I didn't need such as interior sold on e-bay for 700.00+. So basically I have very little money in my car.

Mods: when I reassembled the 88 I replaced ALL bushings with polyurethane energy suspension bushings, even mounts, BBk upper and Lower Control arms, Eibach Springs, Weld-in subframe connectors (with crosses to seat mount), Customized (I made) 2024-T3 nitrous switch panel under ash tray door. Customized 4130 fwd e-brake cable retainer. The 91 GT had a different rear than stock, it was disc with 3.55's but NO cables. I found the cables on e-bay for 20.00 and had to make a retainer to make them work. New shocks, struts, blah blah blah this thing is going to be brand new..

Much more parts to come such as the BBK Long tube 1-3/4 ceramic headers, BBK matching SS O/R X-pipe, and the Mac catback exhaust.
I chose Mac for the price and that it was steel,..I need steel to weld in my electronic cutouts later. These parts are paid for but have yet to arrive.

I am just tooling along little by little , paycheck by paycheck,..anyone need a rear bumper cover for a 91GT,..It really looks good.
Thanks for looking
Justin
Old 03-08-2004, 12:17 PM
hotrodman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Newby Has Project

welcome seems like you going to be busy for awhile...
Old 03-08-2004, 04:29 PM
Muffstain76

Well, First step is almost done,..the car is red and blue right now. Doors and hatch from the red 91 GT on the blue 88LX, looks like a POS. I just have to button up some few things and get it aligned. Hopefully if the headers come this week I can have the whole exhaust system on by Friday, but I will aim to finish the first step, Functionality. Wish me luck
Justin
Old 03-10-2004, 02:35 AM
T_stang
4th Gear Member

Well Welcome Justin Hope you enjoy it here every ones really cool >> And it sounds like your on the right track
Old 03-10-2004, 05:17 AM
Muffstain76

Thanks for the warm welcome,..I have great news...
The exhaust parts are all here and they look fantastic
I will get some pics posted shortly and let you see my
progress. Hopefully I can relay on some of YOU if
I hit a snag.
Justin
Old 03-10-2004, 08:57 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

welcome and glad you picked the 88 to keep as I have one too!
if you run into a problem you can't figure out, I have the factory manuals for the 88 model year and can look up anything you might need to find out something about.
Best $25 I ever spent back in '87 when I took delivery of my '88 GT. They come in real handy since I have taken mine off the street and made it a full time drag car.
too bad the '91 didn't have 3.73 gears, I had a lot of fun with mine on the street and at the track before I went with a new Strange 9" rear with 4.57 gears. Got my 60 ft down to 1.780 with a still stock motor!
Old 03-11-2004, 02:48 AM
tyybo
3rd Gear Member

sounds awesome man, post some pics
Old 03-16-2004, 05:12 AM
Muffstain76

Pics are coming,.. just have been spending too much time working on the car,..It's like an obsession,..The 1-3/4 BBK Long tubes DO NOT fit an AOD,..but with some slight modification I have made them fit. I will be bolting them on soon. What kinda pics are you interested in?? Right now the car looks like a P.O.S. Red and blue,..in need of minor body work and so forth...
Old 03-16-2004, 01:34 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

you might have gone too big on the headers unless you really plan to step on the motor hard soon. 1-5/8" would have been a better choice for the street, won't lose as much torque compared to the 1-3/4" long tubes. hope it all works out the way you want though!
'88's RULE!
Old 03-17-2004, 05:07 AM
Muffstain76

Perfectly understandable,..however, when I reach my Stage3 I will be yanking the motor and tranny. The 302 will become a forged piston, forged H rod, forged crank 347 (that doesn't burn oil) with AFR heads and a better intake. I have yet to decide on the Victor 5.0 or the GT-40 or the Homeade bread box. I am planning on running two independant nitrous systems,..a 50 shot dry and a 150 shot wet. I already have the 50 shot from my brother's ricer that got repoed. I had to get the 1-3/4's for the FINAL stage now,..because I didn't want to buy headers twice, and I need an exhaust system NOW.

I am not too worried about making it streetable just yet. It is still in the EARLY stages. I don't depend on it as a daily driver nor will I ever, so put your concerns aside, THIS IS NOTHING MORE THAN A TOY!!!

If you have any suggestions please feel free to inform me. I have all the time in the world.
I wanted this to be a five year or more project,..but it's just going together SO fast.

I am proficient in welding, metal bending, riveting, aluminum, SS, Chrome Moly, Titanium, Epoxy, Fiber glass, Carbon fiber, Aramid fiber(Kevlar), wet layups, forming, and molding. I am hoping to use all these skills in this car in some way. I want it to be personalized and 100% custom. I have NO issues with being limited by part availability. I will make them work or make my own.

Quick Reply: Newby Has Project