New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Just A Few More Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 08:29 PM
gforcejunkie

Default Just A Few More Newbie Questions

1. What is the purpose of changing out the under-pulleys?

2. What are long tubes for? Don't they eliminate some sensors or something needed for emissions or something?

3. Besides looking good, does dropping 1"-2" make the cornering handle worst, better, the same?

4. How come I haven't noticed any people's mods list include racing cams? I haven't actually been looking for that, just haven't seen any yet and I'm wondering why not?

Enough for now. More to come I'm sure.

Thanks in advance,
Charlie
Old 11-17-2004, 08:45 PM
94GTNick
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Just A Few More Newbie Questions

1.underdrive pullies slow down the other things drawing power from the engine,like the water pump and alternator. leaving more power to get the car moving.

2. long tubes are just a free flowing type of header, and yeah they are not street legal.

3 droping a car doesnt really make the car corrner better it just help with body lean, stiffer the spring then you will have less body roll. better cornering will come with a good set of upper and lower control arms and a panhard bar. coil overs are nice also.

4 well people in here do talk about their cams, you just might not know what the names of the ones they are talking about if your new to mustangs. like a b303, e303, or x 303 all types of ford racing cams.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:30 AM
gforcejunkie

Thanks.

So the aftermarket underpulleys have less drag or do they release the water pump & alternator temporarily for more power or what?

And another question.
Is shaving the heads on a '98 GT a good idea. I'm thinking it's gonna need more octane. Also, isn't the ecu gonna get confused since the compression ratio is different than what it's programmed for?
Old 11-18-2004, 12:35 AM
94GTNick
1st Gear Member

it will probably never know the difference if you dont take much off the heads but why would you wanna shave the heads unless they are warped? But underdrive pullies just change how fast the water and alternator are turning by putting on a bigger pulley. and the crank pulley is gonna be smaller, thats how they were on my pullies that i had.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:22 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gforcejunkie

Thanks.

So the aftermarket underpulleys have less drag or do they release the water pump & alternator temporarily for more power or what?

And another question.
Is shaving the heads on a '98 GT a good idea. I'm thinking it's gonna need more octane. Also, isn't the ecu gonna get confused since the compression ratio is different than what it's programmed for?
the basic principle of underdrive pulleys is this: it takes power to pump water around the cooling system and to generate electrical current in the alternator. this power is taken from the engine at the crankshaft. by slowly down the water pump and alternator, underdrive pulleys free up some crank HP to drive the rear wheels instead of pumping water and generating current.
shaving the heads is not a good idea unless you're building an all out race engine as this will change the alignment of the intake ports in the intake manifold with the intake ports in the heads. it can also lead to problems with the intake manifold sealing to the heads and block also if you don't compensate for the material removed especially if a lot is taken off the heads. it will also have effects on the valve train geometry and the drive chains for the cams, so I don't recommend you do it unless you're prepared to do some additional work to ensure the other items mentioned work properly with the change.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:02 PM
badtzmaru
4th Gear Member

Man! you are good!