New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

First time buyer, need some info

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 06:33 PM
glitch

Default First time buyer, need some info

Hello everyone. My name is Josh and I'm looking at buying a mustang for the first time. I found this site on a google search and I was blown away by the volume and detail of the information here. I've always loved these cars and the few I have driven have been a dream. Basicly I'm comming into some money at the begining of the year and I'm looking at the 89-93s and I need some information.

Here is my main question: What are the diffrences between the the GTs, and the cobras? I've been looking on the web and I've found bits and pieces, but not a basic run down from top to bottom. I'm really leaning towards a 93 GT or Cobra, but I need more information before I decide. I found this page that describes shows the variants on LXs and GTs, but I haven't found one for cobras and GTs: http://www.mustanggt.org/gtvslx.htm

Let me preface this by saying I'm not looking for a race car. I'm looking for a nice car with a solid V8 and drive trian that can turn a head or two. I'm hoping to find one in good condition for less than 7 or 8 thousand and put a little money into fixing any problems with it, or find one with no issues for around that same price.

So, any adivce, oppinions, or information I could get would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:38 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: First time buyer, need some info

Welcome aboard.

The differences between the NEW Cobra ('03/'04) and the GT is the Cobra is supercharged, had a forged bottom end ( crank, rods and pistons) sets in a cast iron block with 32V heads on it. The cobra has a T56 tranny with a 3.55 limited slip rear end on independent rear suspension.

The GT is NA (Naturally aspirated) and the bottom end is cracked powered metal with hypereutectic pistons that sits in a cast iron block also. The GT has a TR3650 tranny and a 3.27 posi trac rear end on a solid axle.

The '01 and previous Cobras come NA also and was a 5 speed just like the GT but the block was aluminum 32V.

The '96-'98 GT's is 4.6 but doesnt have the PI package (performance improved heads and intake) So they are rather slower than the '99+.

Each model has slight differences, such as timing and rear end ratios but nothing drastic.
If I missed anything I will be followed up.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:42 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

f you want a GT dont get a '93. they put hypereutectic pistons in the '93's-BAD. get an '89-'92. forged pistons-GOOD. the only diff between a GT and Cobra('92 GT,'93 Cobra is 10hp. performance wise. the '93 Cobras came w/ sportier suspension, diff wheels(obviously) and a few other lil tweaks. but, not enough to matter imo. so, good luck. and like i said, if you want a GT, get between a '89-'92.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:47 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

hes lookin for a Fox jd, not a New Gen.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:25 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

BLAH [:'(] Get a new one.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:48 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

now thats uncalled for !!! lol
Old 11-29-2004, 07:52 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

LOL I like them.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:19 PM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

cobras have a different grill, and rear bumper is different? cobras have a different intake??? and definetly nicer wheels!!! i dont know much else... wish i could of found a cobra
Old 11-29-2004, 08:31 PM
thelast50ho
2nd Gear Member

Cobras also have four wheel disc brakes and the 93 cobras are more rare then the gt
Old 11-30-2004, 02:23 PM
bacon
3rd Gear Member

welcome to the forums...hope you find what your looking for

Quick Reply: First time buyer, need some info