New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 10:14 PM
redGTstang

Default Newbie

hi, i'm 17 and i just got a 99 automatic gt stang... i'm confused on what to do to the car first... i don't know whether to mod the performance, styling, suspension, etc... all i need are some hints... thanx
Old 01-06-2003, 01:12 PM
pimpinserg

Default Newbie

hello, I think you should go for a ROM chip cause those are not that expensive and they help your performance somewhat. Also i would say that tuning the suspension is a good idea, lower the stang about an inch or two. Superchargers are great but they cost a lot. Changing the throttle body to a bigger one would also increase power. There are so many things you can do to a car it is not funny. Spend your money on what you would like to do, like styling or performance. Also with mustangs, think weight reduction.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:54 PM
Websy7

Default Newbie

I would go with performance in your case such as a Hypertech computer chip, or CAi, or a different exhaust..
Old 01-09-2003, 10:52 PM
noslow50
I ♥ Acer

Default Newbie

what is your #1 priority? speed or stylin?? u have to start somewhere..
Old 02-02-2003, 07:26 PM
Justang46L
1st Gear Member

Default Newbie

Hey man. I"d start w/ simple things and work ur way up. the other guys are right. chips are a good start, along w/ intakes and exhaust mods. there's so many types out there you're bound to find one that you like. one warning about the chips though...sometimes they are programed for premium gas instead of regular, so make sure to read all the details first. good luck.
Old 02-16-2003, 09:50 PM
spike306
2nd Gear Member

Default Newbie

exuast and intake first(you gotta breathe)

gears and pulleys and chip next, all cheap but all good. once you have a little bit of muscle then work on the suspension. it already has nice sway bars and a good k-member, i would work on lowering it and sub-frame conectors
Old 02-17-2003, 09:58 PM
lloydchristmas
3rd Gear Member

Default Newbie

Gears exhaust and nitrous first. Cold air setup. Nice intake(good call Spike) Subframe connecters are a must.
Old 02-18-2003, 01:07 AM
noslow50
I ♥ Acer

Default Newbie

TYPICAL... everybody says chip... UH NO u do all the other mods first then u have a chip custom burned for your mods the only true way to get total performance outta any chip.... u all mention sh*t that is only nessecrey with other stuff done to the car.... i say do what spike started with... intake exhaust.... and lil sh*tlike that....personally again i would say no to the pulleys casue those truely r a waste of money... hit me up if u need any more info...
Old 02-18-2003, 03:51 AM
spike306
2nd Gear Member

Default Newbie

noslow50 and lloyd are both right, the only reason i suggested pulleys an chip right of the bat for this kid, is because he's young and this is his first experience in the stang gang. you gotta crawl before you walk. and no offense to the kid, but i don't think he has a whole lot of time and money @ 17 to do the things that we would really recomend.

good luck redstanggt, you started off on the right foot by choosing a stang, now take all of this good advise and work it!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2003, 09:45 AM
lloydchristmas
3rd Gear Member

Default Newbie

Good point noslow50 A chip should be built around your existing mods.

Quick Reply: Newbie