New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Mustang shopping... cannot decide what to get

Old 06-08-2008, 08:03 PM
StangIt

Default Mustang shopping... cannot decide what to get

I am shopping new and late model used Mustangs, and just cannot decide what to get as far as engine/trim level. Specifically, I am weighing a V6 vs a V8 (and also a 'vert vs a fixed roof coupe).

Why I like the v8... it's a V8 and this car was made for it. I have driven an 07 V8 stick, and must admit it put a grin on my face.

To get a better idea on whether I would want to live with the car as a daily driver, I ended up renting a V6 coupe and took it on a 1300 mile roadtrip a couple weeks back. My trip really encompassed all kinds of driving. Highway distance driving which it was great at, and city driving around Philly and Washington DC, which it also did very well at. Although it didn't have the jump of the V8, I cannot accuse it of lacking in power either. It had very good pickup and passing power. I was really, very satisfied with it. Also, I was surprised how well it handled, as it had the base level 16 inch wheels and high sidewall tires on it. The car held on surprisingly well. Also, the car felt very well balanced in turns.

Which brings me to my dilema. Although I think of a Mustang as having a V8, I think I would be just as happy with the V6. Especially since the purchase price, insurance and fuel bills should be a bit cheaper. (I cannot believe I averaged 26 MPG on my trip, including over 28 on highway stints!). I would also be driving this car in the winter, thru all but the worst storms (would use snow tires). I would imagine the V6, with a bit less torque, would be somewhat easier to drive in those conditions. I do have a Geo Tracker I can use if things are going to be really bad, with lots of ice or accumulation in the forecast, but I wouldn't drive that all the time.

I guess the point of this is that I like the V8, but am trying to talk myself into the V6 since it fits into the budget far easier, and the recent rise in pump prices, and food prices (and everything else for that matter) make the prospect of most of the fun at significantly less of the cost an enticing prospect.

My other question is whether to go ragtop. I love convertables, used to own Jeeps (and the Tracker I mentioned above), and would really like one. Except, those vehicles really weren't all that great in the winter with the cloth tops. I know the 'Stang as an insulated top. Would you drive a 'vert year round? Or is that just asking for trouble.

At least these are good problems to have!
Old 06-08-2008, 09:16 PM
fyrestang2000

Default RE: Mustang shopping... cannot decide what to get

hey there. u pose a lot of good questions about what to buy. i just bought an '00 GT vert and i'm really enjoying it. the weather issue won't be to much of a problem for me cause i live in atlanta, ga. the winters aren't to bad so i believe i will survive them....lol. i only looked for v8's cause i wanted the power. sure gas prices are high right now, but i hope eventually they will return to somewhat reasonable prices. so i say invest in the future, not in the now. get what u really want because it will be yours for years down the line and you want to make sure you're happy with your purchase. at least that's how i feel about it.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:26 PM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

Fuel mileage between the two engines is pretty close. But the 6 will definatly do better. On a long trip, the differance will be nmoticable. I drove my v6 5 speed to utah last month. I averaged 32mpg cruising at 80mph. Not sure what the 8 gets, but I'd bet it isn't 32.

Remember that the 6 is a bit de-tuned from Ford. There's on 0.6l differance in size. If the two engine had had the same tuning and cam specs, the differance in performance would be very small. Especially when you consider the decreased weight of the 6. That would make it tough to sell the 8 in today's market. What that means is, with a good tune, the gap gets even smaller. Unfortunatly, there are no good replacement cams on the market. Yet.

Comparing similarly equipped 8's and 6's, you'll save thousands on a 6. But there are some quirks. You can't get a traction lock (LSD) rear with a 6, but you can get 4 wheel ABS and traction control.

It's a tough choice between the two engines. Both are good, both have their place. You just have to decide what's important for you.

Same with the hard vs. soft top. An open car on a spring day is a real joy to drive. But I think the lines of hard top are much better. The soft top is also a heavier car. Again, you have to decide what you're going to use the car for, and then decide.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:03 PM
pat123
3rd Gear Member

I had an 06' V6 convertible and traded it last month for a V8 hardtop. I really liked the convertible and it can be driven year round; I like the look of the hard top also. I went with the hard top this round because I just really like this particular car. As far as V6 or V8 the V8 is just a lot more fun.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:32 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Easy...vert V8 and continue smiling...welcome.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:32 PM
07cspony
3rd Gear Member

Welcome to the forums...go with with V8 vert and never look back...you won't regret it.