New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New Guy in SE MI!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 12:27 AM
93formulalt1

Default New Guy in SE MI!

Hello everyone! I posted a thread in the SEMMOC section, but I thought I would post here as well.

My name is Nick, and I feel like I'm entering the Dragon's Lair. . . lol

I'm an F-Body enthusiast who has always been a GM guy, but a deal came my way that I can't pass up. I was offered a trade for my truck, the trade being a '89 Mustang 5.0 Convertible. After seeing pictures online, we both decided we wanted to do the swap, and we should be meeting to exchange keys and titles on Tuesday afternoon.

Now, a little about me. I am a college student, and I'm a regular on all of the F-Body oriented sites, and I'm a moderator on a couple. I currently own a couple of Hi-Po GM vehicles, including my daily-driven 1993 Pontiac Formula LT1 (hence my username, lol), which should be right around 350hp at the wheels by next spring, and my 1970 Chevy Monte Carlo (we built it as an SS454 clone) with a strong 468 cid BBC and a built TH350 that is putting down somewhere from 675-750hp. . . We don't drive that much. . . lol

The car I'm hoping to acquire is a 1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Convertible. It's got 124,000 original miles. It is close to stock, but it does have a couple of things done to it. It's got longtube headers, a shift kit, 3.55 rear gears, and some sort of aftermarket exhaust (I can't remember what brand, but I was told it's not stock. lol). It's got a brand new top, the paint is nearly flawless, it has smoked headlights and turn signals, and the tires will soon be replaced with new BFG Radial T/A's. Other than that, I'm not really going to do much to it. I'm going to start driving the Mustang daily until Winter hits, then I'll be driving my winter beater, a '95 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0 V8 w/ traction control, and the Formula will be used for weekend fun and AutoX events.

Anyway, I hope to be able to stick around and get information from the site, as well as become active in the Mustang/Ford community as well as remaining active in the other places that I frequent. I am very involved in a few clubs, and I attend car shows almost weekly. Cars keep me calm, they keep me busy, and for some reason, when I'm working on one of my cars, all of my problems disappear. . . I'm sure I'm not the only one that experiences that effect.

Thanks for making me feel welcome here, I'll try to be cool. haha It's hard registering and posting on a forum like this when it seems that car clubs in general put up walls around our model-specific "cliques", and since I've been active in exclusively F-Body circles for so many years. Anybody want to see pics of my Formula or the Monte Carlo? I don't know if that is grounds for internet execution here. . . haha I'll get some up later this week, when I post up pics of the 'stang.

See you on the boards!
Old 09-22-2008, 02:38 AM
ponyandajag
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:01 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Welcome to Mustangforums!
Old 09-22-2008, 05:23 AM
MsBlur
1st Gear Member

Welcome aboard!! Let's see the pics!!
Old 09-22-2008, 10:21 AM
93formulalt1

Okay, here are a couple of "teaser" pics. . . The mustang should be coming home with me tonight or tomorrow, so I think I can post a pic up of that for you guys. . .

Here's the Mustang:

The Formula:

And the Monte Carlo:

Old 09-22-2008, 01:41 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:46 PM
allaflhollows

Dude, I think I know that strip mall! Where in MI are you at?
Old 09-22-2008, 02:08 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Welcome to MF. I was wondering where in MI as well. You should also post in the mid-west section. A lot of SE MI people there.

Man it must be nice to have a spare ride just in case.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:05 PM
mzeg98gt

Default Welcome to the forums man

Welcome
Old 09-22-2008, 11:01 PM
93formulalt1

Originally Posted by allaflhollows
Dude, I think I know that strip mall! Where in MI are you at?
I'm in Adrian. Quiet little town in Lenawee County. I'm 45 minutes SW of Ann Arbor and 45 minutes NW of Toledo, OH. I will be picking the Mustang up from Toledo tomorrow evening, so I'll get her detailed and take some pictures for you guys.

Oh, and the "Spare Ride" thing is pretty great. lol The Formula is mine, I bought it last June with an extra student loan and paid it off over the summer. The Monte Carlo is a project vehicle that my father and I have been working on since I was about 5 years old. It was purchased for the princely sum of $500 cash, with a tired 350 and even more whipped TH350 trans. We bought and rebuilt a 454 BBC and had the stock TH350 rebuilt and beefed up to handle the power. The car has less than 100 miles on the restoration, but it is still not complete. We bought a custom fiberglass 4" cowl hood that is already cut in but the exterior surface is still in black gelcoat, and we replaced the fenders with NOS parts, they too are already cut in, but the exterior surfaces are still in grey primer. I don't think it will be finished this year, but next summer, I'm going to break out my paint gun and touch up a few other spots while I'm finishing the front end. I went out today and got the new front bumper ready to install.

I've also got a truck, but that is being traded straight-up for the Mustang tomorrow evening, so I'll only have the two cars for myself, and we all know that RWD V8 sports cars aren't exactly winter creatures. . . I'm going to cut down my driving to getting to and from work and classes, so I can share a car with my Dad, who doesn't work, so he isn't using it much anyway.

The Formula and the truck are the only two vehicles I personally own right now, I do have a company car available to me, but I'd rather not drive it, since it is pretty old and it's kind of disappointing dropping off my 300hp Firebird at the office to pick up the 88hp 1989 Cavalier 4 door sedan. . . I should be getting a new G6 as a company car soon, the boss is going in this week to test drive a few possible vehicles. Should be much nicer than the Cavi. lol

Quick Reply: New Guy in SE MI!