New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Finally took the plunge

Old 11-21-2012, 07:33 AM
twintornados

Originally Posted by DocSnickers
Kids..... you don't take a automatic and make it a manual that's just not right. Really hurts the cars value later on down the road. Putting her back would really be the most logical course of action. Would not think it would be that hard to put it back, I would not think.
I agree with your sentiments.....gonna visit the local u-pull it in the spring and see what I can come up with to correct this error.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:40 PM
twintornados

SCORE!!! Found a guy that is building up a 1990 Mustang with a new 302 / C4 setup and he pulled the 2.3L / Auto from it....selling me the automatic for $50 and I can get ALL the needed items from it as well (block plate, flex plate, shift assy, etc etc) I will clean it up and toss it in. He claimed it shifted ok and that the car had 90K on it when he pulled the drivetrain out. Claimed the trans fluid was not burnt but honestly, how badly can a 2.3L really beat up an automatic transmission....we'll see, will do a filter change while it is out and of course fresh fluid including draining the torque converter...

I am getting jazzed about my summer runner....lol.

PS: Scored a new top on Ebay for $150....just gonna keep riding the lucky train as long as I can....lol

Last edited by twintornados; 03-08-2013 at 06:40 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:44 PM
sammm
1st Gear Member

Any pics to share?
Old 03-08-2013, 06:44 AM
twintornados

Originally Posted by sammm
Any pics to share?
Sammm, I haven't taken any pictures other than the one that is listed in the "my garage" section....I bought the car real late in the season and after giving it a quick clean up, I stuck it in my garage for the winter and began working on finding parts for it. In about a month or two, I will begin working on it and preparing it for many a summer nights cruise to the area beach to take in some entertainment.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:44 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Welcome!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:48 AM
twintornados

Went and picked up the automatic and related gear, I cannot believe how lucky I am to have stumbled across this deal. The guy selling me the auto is building up a 1990 notchback coupe. I got everything from the crank to the differential and the shifter assembly too. Driveshaft, starter, shift cables, bolts, nuts....I am over the moon on this ....I am on vacation at the end of the month so, I am going to work on the drive train then....whooo hooooo....summer, here I come!!!

I think I am going to enjoy being a Mustang fan after all these years of self inflicted denial.

Last edited by twintornados; 03-13-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:26 AM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Can't beat that for the price even if its not in the best shape. Transmission can always be rebuilt if needed, be a lot cheaper than a new one that's for sure. Good to see you're putting her back to her original setup, that will surly boost the cars value.

If you want to take it completely to factory, check some of the Mustang clubs out in NY. I am sure some of them have some MCA judges that could help you get it back there.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:10 PM
Sparta
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DocSnickers
Kids..... you don't take a automatic and make it a manual that's just not right. Really hurts the cars value later on down the road. Putting her back would really be the most logical course of action. Would not think it would be that hard to put it back, I would not think.
Agreed.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:38 PM
twintornados

Ok kids...got the T5 out of the car.
Tag Reads as follows:
F4ZR-7003-AC
1352-238

Automatic will start to get installed tomorrow. I have the T5 up for sale on Craigslist, $300 or best offer.

http://utica.craigslist.org/pts/3703184869.html

Old 03-26-2013, 04:55 PM
twintornados

Originally Posted by twintornados
..... so he had a 5 speed transplanted...did a decent job converting it, but I am thinking about returning it to the OE automatic setup....why? Why not...lol
Well, let me just say I take back the "decent job" statement....What a half assed job he did putting the 5 speed in. But, now the automatic is up and mostly bolted in and the transmission crossmember is back in place.

The flywheel bolts were just snug....half of the bellhousing bolts were not there, he used whatever was lying around to put spacers between the bellhousing and T5 since it was originally out of a 1994 V6 Mustang...spacers were a uni-lug from an E.T. mag and a face cover for a Snap-on socket ratchet....I am truly surprised this thing even ran and moved...but, she is on the mend and will be "proper" in a few weeks....just taking my time on nice days...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally took the plunge