New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Washing a Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Zacmustang
Banned

Default Washing a Convertible

I am new to the forum and am not sure if this is the right place to ask a question, but here it goes. I own a 2011 Convertible Soft-Top Mustang. Is it ok to take through an automatic car wash? I am most worried about when the drying part of the wash goes over the car blowing the water off. Could this get caught on the lip of the soft top? Any feedback woud be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2013, 08:11 PM
go-part
Former Sponsor

The chemicals in cleaning soap aren't too friendly with the soft top. Its suggested that you just wash it yourself, in one of the clean your own car bays.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:14 PM
Zacmustang
Banned

Thank you very much!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:42 PM
DK Pony
4th Gear Member

I have owned several Convertibles over the years and have to say that my 2013 Convertible (see sig) is the "tightest" top of all the cars I have had.

But with that said I personally wouldn't take it through an automatic car wash. I wouldn't worry about the top getting damaged or anything like that but I would worry about water being pushed upwards against the windows and forced past the seals.

It's just me and I am probably being overprotective of my baby.

I don't know what products you are using on your top but I use Raggtopp products. You can get them from Amazon and they have two different types. One for a cloth top and one for vinyl. I highly recommend it.

Good luck.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:03 PM
Zacmustang
Banned

I was wondering what to use to clean it, so thank you very much!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:18 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

I've had cause to run a convertible through car washes before. I never had a problem with damaging the tops, but as DK Pony said, I've had issues where water gets past the seals and into the car. That tends to happen more at 'touchless' washes that use higher pressure water. High pressure sprays can also make chips or other damaged paint worse by further peeling the paint away once it's loosened. A friend of mine had his paint severely damaged in such a way, where a small chip became a huge damaged area. Because of that, and to reduce the chance of scratches in general, I prefer 'soft touch' washes that have the softer dangling sponges/cleaners that lightly wiggle over the car instead of the spinning drums. And yeah my biggest concern was always the air dry at the end as well, but I never experienced any issues with it.

I think many convertible owners will recommend that you wash the car yourself, but if you need to run it through a wash, it seems safe enough to me. I haven't heard about the chemicals being bad for the cloth though, that might be worth looking into. I never experienced any fade or damage, for whatever that's worth.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:31 PM
DK Pony
4th Gear Member

Amazon Amazon

I really like this stuff.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:53 AM
95 BLOWN GT
5th Gear Member

detailing section
Old 02-05-2013, 11:55 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Welcome to MF! .... I always hand wash my cars!
Old 02-05-2013, 02:25 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

welcome (again).....automatic cars washes = BAD.....hand wash = GOOD

Quick Reply: Washing a Convertible