New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Hello! - New Member

Old 02-05-2013, 09:59 AM
SmileyOr

Default Hello! - New Member

Hello,

I'm in the market for a late generation GT sometime in the next year. I'm here to learn about the differences in the model years 2005 to 2007, possibly newer.

I currently own and drive a 2007 Acura TL Type-S. My fiancee has an older van and a PT Cruiser. She wants an SUV so I'm looking at an older MDX. I asked her what second car we should have and she answered "Mustang". I first learned to drive and received my driver's license in a 1966 Mustang with a 289 mated to an automatic transmission. She's driven an older mustang herself and likes the look of the latest generation Mustang.

I'll be trying to meet the requirements in the next few month's to open up all the forums so I can research the model years I'm interested in and compare local prices to the auto market here.

I'm not much of a modder so I won't be looking to upgrade performance. From what I've read the stock GT already gets zero to 60 faster than my Type-S

She and I drive in to work together most days so we'd have our choice of car. When she drives separately she wants the SUV so I'll have something enjoyable to drive. But if I need the size of the SUV for something she'd be able to drive the Mustang with automatic. I'd prefer a manual for the fun of shifting and the additional control in braking and cornering.

I have completed an Audi (had an 2005 Allroad 4.2) driving school in Bremerton, WA and the Team Continental Performance driving school at Portland International Raceway (also in the Audi). During the Team Continental Driving school my Allroad's brakes overheated so I didn't run the final session and instead rode with my instructor in his car. He had the Latest Mustang, a Shelby GT 500
Old 02-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Welcome to MF! ... I'd personally look for a 2011 (or newer) 5.0!!!!
Old 02-05-2013, 12:59 PM
SmileyOr

I don't want to spend the money on the later model cars. But, if I find myself with the extra cash and the motivation, what is the value of the 2011 over previous model years?
Old 02-05-2013, 01:52 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

If she said "Mustang" then yeah you definitely need to turn her from fiance to wife!

I am not sure about the variations within the same model 05-10 years, but the simple difference between them and the 2011 GT is the newer much improved Coyote 5.0 liter engine over the aging 4.6 liter design, and about 100hp/tq improvement. There's much more to it than that of course, but that's the simple highlight...
Old 02-05-2013, 02:35 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

welcome & good luck!

Originally Posted by SmileyOr
Hello,

I'm in the market for a late generation GT sometime in the next year. I'm here to learn about the differences in the model years 2005 to 2007, possibly newer.

I currently own and drive a 2007 Acura TL Type-S. My fiancee has an older van and a PT Cruiser. She wants an SUV so I'm looking at an older MDX. I asked her what second car we should have and she answered "Mustang". I first learned to drive and received my driver's license in a 1966 Mustang with a 289 mated to an automatic transmission. She's driven an older mustang herself and likes the look of the latest generation Mustang.

I'll be trying to meet the requirements in the next few month's to open up all the forums so I can research the model years I'm interested in and compare local prices to the auto market here.

I'm not much of a modder so I won't be looking to upgrade performance. From what I've read the stock GT already gets zero to 60 faster than my Type-S

She and I drive in to work together most days so we'd have our choice of car. When she drives separately she wants the SUV so I'll have something enjoyable to drive. But if I need the size of the SUV for something she'd be able to drive the Mustang with automatic. I'd prefer a manual for the fun of shifting and the additional control in braking and cornering.

I have completed an Audi (had an 2005 Allroad 4.2) driving school in Bremerton, WA and the Team Continental Performance driving school at Portland International Raceway (also in the Audi). During the Team Continental Driving school my Allroad's brakes overheated so I didn't run the final session and instead rode with my instructor in his car. He had the Latest Mustang, a Shelby GT 500
There's actually not too many differences between the 2005 - 2009 Mustangs....just things like HID's (2008's & newer I believe), different rear end gears (2005 & 2006 manuals came with 3.55's, later one's came with 3.31's), etc....nothing big.

Originally Posted by Timspony
Welcome to MF! ... I'd personally look for a 2011 (or newer) 5.0!!!!
Definitely!

Originally Posted by SmileyOr
I don't want to spend the money on the later model cars. But, if I find myself with the extra cash and the motivation, what is the value of the 2011 over previous model years?
The 2011's would definitely run you a couple more thousand than the 2005-2009's.

Originally Posted by Schmalgar
If she said "Mustang" then yeah you definitely need to turn her from fiance to wife!

I am not sure about the variations within the same model 05-10 years, but the simple difference between them and the 2011 GT is the newer much improved Coyote 5.0 liter engine over the aging 4.6 liter design, and about 100hp/tq improvement. There's much more to it than that of course, but that's the simple highlight...
Good advice!
Old 02-05-2013, 02:35 PM
96t-bird
5th Gear Member

Hi, welcome.I also agree she said Mustang. Try test driving the models years you are looking at with your fiance. Since you are not just seeking speed .You can get a better feeling for the car you want. Good luck.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:38 AM
95 BLOWN GT
5th Gear Member

welcome to the site
Old 02-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Dawghouse
2nd Gear Member

Welcome to MF!
Old 02-10-2013, 05:10 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Welcome!