New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Looking to get a Mustang in Alabama.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 02:27 PM
volsfan4life252

Talking Looking to get a Mustang in Alabama.

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I'm buying a mustang this week after my tax returns come. I'm excited and I've always wanted one!! It will be my daily driver opposite of my motorcycle.

I'm narrowed it down to 2 and my budget is 5k or as close as possible....

Here are the craigslists ads....

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/cto/4312142196.html

He said he would take 5k. He said it has a clear title and has never been wrecked. He claims he bought it at auction after it was repoed by carmax and all that was wrong with is was an exhaust leak that has been fixed.

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/ctd/4278445650.html

This one is a dealer and he said he'd take 5k as well (plus tax and title etc...)

My questions are as follows...

1. Are these good prices?
2. Are there specific issues with these models that I should look for. Both claim that they run and drive good and have no other issues whatsoever.
3. Generic question I know but what kind of mileage can i expect out of these?
4. Is there a free/cheap place to get a vehicle history report on the first one? I just want to make sure since it is from an individual.

Thanks guys
Old 02-04-2014, 03:17 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

Well, if they're both in reasonable condition, I would certainly think the GT for the same price would at least be a better deal, if not a great deal. Plus, it seems to be Competition Orange, a bit rarer than some of the other colors, many people dig that...

The usual checks, kbb and nada, suggest that $5k might be a fair price.

I'm a bit miffed with carfax, I bought a 5-pack of checks about 2-1/2 years ago and only used one. I was willing to burn another for you but they say I don't have an account based on my email address, even though I have the emails from that time so I know I'm using the correct email address. Schmucks. But I did see that there are 22 records for it, but not the details...
Old 02-04-2014, 03:39 PM
pkugrsq
1st Gear Member

Looks like the GT is overall better with the Competition Orange paint job, the 4 speed stick shift. The only iffy part is the exterior. Maybe because it's in a not-so-clean-ish background and he didn't take a picture of the engine bay. Convertible top looks clean, but the quality doesn't say much. Has a hood scoop and a unique spoiler.

The V6 however, the whole opposite. It's the Oxford White (I think they called it that back then) color, very used (not saying that's bad at all). Though it does have a very nice tan interior and a seemingly well taken care of top. - its an automatic. They don't mention the speedometer, but I'm sure that's just a simple question away.

I'd go for the 2004 GT. But that's my 2 cents.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:44 PM
volsfan4life252

Thanks for the reply. I'm defiantly leaning toward the GT. I saw that too. Is 22 records pretty typical? I guess it all depends
Old 02-04-2014, 04:18 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

They track ownership transfer and some service reports among other things, not just accidents. 22 seems like it might be a bit much, but over 10 years they can add up, especially if it was sold, repossessed, auctioned, and purchased again, that cycle probably added quite a few. But of course you won't know for sure until you run a check...
Old 02-04-2014, 04:21 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

Also, happy to see you're going for a convertible! It's the only way to drive

And I just caught the Tennessee end zone colors in your avatar, and then after that really paid attention to your name! So hey, that might be another reason to go for the orange one!
Old 02-04-2014, 04:25 PM
pkugrsq
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Schmalgar
Also, happy to see you're going for a convertible! It's the only way to drive

And I just caught the Tennessee end zone colors in your avatar, and then after that really paid attention to your name! So hey, that might be another reason to go for the orange one!
Well the end zone has white sections too! But yes, Orange stands out more.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:32 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pkugrsq
Well the end zone has white sections too! But yes, Orange stands out more.
Heh yeah, true wasn't even thinking that the other color is white and the other car is white... But nobody counts white as the team color... Tennessee is orange...
Old 02-04-2014, 06:30 PM
volsfan4life252

I have always wanted an orange car. Is buying a mustang with 150k miles a waste of money? I haven't seen many for sale with more than 200k
Old 02-04-2014, 07:19 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

I've seen plenty of folks on here with SN95s with 150k miles and more. The car and the engine are certainly capable of lasting that long with proper care. The trick of course is trying to tell if it's had the proper care...

I had an 04 GT with almost 100k miles on it I think, and it was in fine shape when I traded it in...

Quick Reply: Looking to get a Mustang in Alabama.