New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Mustang Impression among US citizens

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 07:10 PM
MustangEnthu

Default Mustang Impression among US citizens

So I am not from US.. I have always admired Ford Mustang ... I like its raw power and the muscle that it provides.... I love the way it looks. I wanted to own a Ford Mustang if I ever came to live in US. Here I am in US, seriously contemplating buying a Mustang very soon. But I have encountered one peculiar thing in US. Are there too many Mustangs here? I always thought of it as a rare breed car and I always thought it would be 'very cool' to own one. Is it so common here that it is not 'cool' anymore?

I dont want to be demeaning to Mustang at all, its just an honest question from me. I would most probably end up buying it because I love it. I just want a discussion as I am someone new to US. Is Ford Mustang so common here that is has no 'cool' quotient attached to it?

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2014, 07:26 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

I don't worry about what other people think of my car. I drive what I drive because it serves my desires. If you like the Mustang and want one, get one. Don't concern yourself with what stupid kids think.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:31 PM
shinerttu
2nd Gear Member

Yes there are waaaay too many mustangs. Many high school girls get them from mommy and daddy. This is why I was a mustang hater growing up...but when I graduated I wanted something cheap and fast and sexy and mustang hits all 3 points. The great thing about mustangs is the HUGE aftermarket community which will allow you to make your mustang unique. Go test drive a couple and see what you think!
Old 02-20-2014, 10:26 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

+1 to what shinerttu said above... The key is doing something to make the Mustang yours, make it a little different from the others... And that's fairly easy to do, because there are so many out there it has led to a great aftermarket community as he says...

It has been a high selling model for many years, so there are indeed many of them on the roads compared to many other pony/muscle/sport cars. But don't let that stop you! It still has plenty of 'cool' quotient going for it. Some people are going to think it's not special because there are a few of them around, but those are the guys that will find something negative about whatever you get, mainly because they're jealous!
Old 02-20-2014, 11:07 PM
VistaBlueGT/CS
1st Gear Member

FWIW - I've loved Mustangs for many years, but just became an owner. (The looks, the sounds - what's not to love?)

There are quite a few of them around, but I'm always surprised/impressed (even irritated while trying to find a good deal on one) by their resale value! I think their relatively high resale values are an indication that they are still desired and not too common.

I agree with shinerttu - go test drive some and see what you think. I love mine so much, I plan to have at least one Mustang for the rest of my life!
Old 02-20-2014, 11:15 PM
VistaBlueGT/CS
1st Gear Member

...sorry - just wanted to clarify...I meant that I plan to have at least one Mustang at the same time and never not have one.

I don't like getting rid of my toys; I prefer to add them!
Old 02-21-2014, 01:01 AM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaBlueGT/CS
...sorry - just wanted to clarify...I meant that I plan to have at least one Mustang at the same time and never not have one.

I don't like getting rid of my toys; I prefer to add them!
I completely agree! Barring some unforeseen financial issues, I too think at this point that I'll always have a Mustang. If I were to win the lottery, I'd build myself a fancy Jay Leno type garage and it would be populated with a few of the choicest Mustangs from over the years, among other cars...!
Old 02-21-2014, 01:24 AM
AricTrueTexan
1st Gear Member

Yea do what you want and a mustang is a breed in itself even if everyone has one you make it your own!
Old 02-21-2014, 05:55 AM
Murgatroy
2nd Gear Member

Even with Mustangs being a very common car here in the US, they are still a desirable and 'cool' car.

Sure, you won't be able to drive down the road without seeing a dozen of them before getting to where you need to go, but you will still get folks that comment positively when you stop for gas.

I have driven Mustangs for twenty years, my first car was a Mustang. For some folks it is just a mode of transportation. Then there are those of us that see it as an extension of ourselves. The massive aftermarket means that even though there are fifty thousand Mustangs identical to yours, you can be unique and stand out.

My workplace has ~100 folks in our office. Four of us drive Mustangs.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:25 AM
VistaBlueGT/CS
1st Gear Member

These guys are right - something else I noticed while trying to find a Mustang to buy is that no two are alike. There are still so many different years/models on the road in many different colors...and with TONS of aftermarket modifications. There are so many different exhaust, CAI, wheel, appearance, etc. options that I've even found it to be a bit overwhelming. I have plans for lots of upgrades myself, but I'm still trying to figure which brands to go with.

It's pretty easy to make yours stand out from the rest in your own way.

Quick Reply: Mustang Impression among US citizens