New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Opinions: Manual or Automatic?

Old 03-27-2014, 08:11 PM
Joeman

Default Opinions: Manual or Automatic?

Hey gang, looking for opinions. Making a 2014 GT Premium purchase soon, and I'm on the fence between manual or automatic. Will be test driving both...would prefer manual but have kind of a long commute with stop go stop go stop go (you get the idea!) traffic.

Any opinions out there on the automatic? Is it "that much less fun" than a stick? Hard to make a decision with a 10 minute test drive, you know? Any input from you all would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 03-27-2014, 08:36 PM
iMuf
1st Gear Member

If it helps I just got an 06' Mustang gt and I had been wanting a stick. My first 2 cars were auto and I got bored of them after a while. But I had a really really good deal come up on this Mustang and I couldn't resist. I ended up with an Auto again and it's been pretty enjoyable so far. But I have only had the car for about a month. At some point I'm going to be getting a ratchet shifter and hopefully that will help keep things enjoyable. But I do feel like I will be wishing I got a manual down the road. Hopefully that will be about 5 years down the road so I can trade it in and get a manual lol

Overall the auto (at least in this car) feels really stout and for the most part does what you want it to. I had a 2006 Monte Carlo SS before this and the auto felt kind of sloppy and it also didn't help that the car was FWD and had displacement on demand.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:00 AM
kanetruck
1st Gear Member

Default I was thinking auto then drove the stick...go stick.

Shifting is easier than I thought it would be. My wife wanted an auto until she drove the stick. So much more fun. Plus my car has the 3.55 gears.
Have fun and good luck.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:29 AM
StangingAround
1st Gear Member

A manual equipped car will always be more fun than an automatic trans.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:30 AM
shouldhavegottheGT
2nd Gear Member

Manual all day. Autos are for rentals.

Most of the used mustangs for sale near me are always autos. I've seen 13 premiums for $26k. I'd go that route over a new 14. Practically the same car.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:30 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

MT82 is known for problems. Go auto.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:40 AM
StangingAround
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd
MT82 is known for problems. Go auto.
Forums exacerbate problems that are otherwise unknown because no one ever talks about the good, only the bad. No problems with my manual and I beat the chit out of it (15k miles).
Old 03-28-2014, 02:52 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

I'm not speaking from forum knowledge. I'm speaking from shop knowledge and plenty of friends (some of which frequent the NMRA circuit) experiencing issues. 5+ very good friends have had to get their trans replaced via warranty. Tried to talk them (Ford) into doing a T56 but got shot down. I wouldn't take my chance on a MT82. Do what you will, when people are pushing serious power on a stock auto, I think I'd go that route.

Last edited by bakerjd; 03-28-2014 at 03:24 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:35 AM
70monte
1st Gear Member

It depends on what you like and your situation. I bought my 2014 GT with an automatic because I have a bad left knee that doesn't put up with much clutch usage. I also don't like driving a manual in stop and go traffic and for me, that takes the fun out of driving it. I don't buy the internet mantra that a muscle car with an automatic is not a muscle car.

To be honest, I don't really get much enjoyment out of manually shifting a transmission so even if I didn't have a bad knee, I would have gotten the automatic anyway. My fiancée has an 07 GT with a five speed manual so if I ever get the urge to shift, I can do it in her car.

You are the one who will be living with the car so if you like to shift and don't mind doing it a lot in stop and go driving, then get a manual.

Wayne
Old 03-28-2014, 11:00 AM
Joeman

Everyone, thanks so much for taking the time to respond. All good points. Will be test driving both, I'll have to see which will be the best fit for my situation. Love the idea of a stick, they are more fun to drive. Need to experience the performance with the auto, though. Thanks again!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opinions: Manual or Automatic?