New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New Member from Cincinnati - 05 GT Manual

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 10:25 PM
timhypo

Name:  FOGLAMPS.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  34.4 KB

Trying to make images work.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:13 PM
timhypo

The day I got it. As you can imagine, offered at $7900, there was a line of potential buyers with one serious one ahead of me who was given overnight to talk to his wife about it - I didn't sleep that night and took $9000 with me to work that day to make sure the deal happened. It turned out that the first buyer was looking at it for his 17y/o son and the wife and insurance saved this car from becoming the late-model wreck that he (and I, at that age) would have turned this thing into.

The day I got it home. Just cleaned up a bit and stickers removed:

Name:  MustangBefore.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  46.3 KB
Name:  MustangBeforeRear.jpg
Size:  42.3 KB

And here it is after I retinted the back window, changed the wheels and tires, tinted the foglamps, and added exhaust tips.

Name:  FOGLAMPS.jpg
Size:  34.4 KB
Name:  MustangRear.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  37.3 KB

I'm really pumped to get the wheels in the deal that I did. I'm real into 50s and early 60s drag cars and, back then, torq thrust mags were it. They just look so right on a Mustang, to me, as well. One of the cars I fell in love with when I was 16 or so hanging out at a custom shop that did hydraulics, stereo, etc (it was the early 90s, cut me some slack) was driven by a guy who paid cash to have lots of custom work done, always had to "run a quick errand" after being paged, and, er, we thought was probably involved in the street pharmaceuticals field - it was probably an '88-91 Mustang GT with T-tops. It had a 5 speed, a supercharger, LOUD exhaust, an even louder stereo, miles-deep purple candy paint, and was lowered on 15x10 Gold Dayton Wire Wheels. He also had the first set of purple neons I'd ever seen. Like I said, gimme a break, it was the early 90s. Even at that time, I loved FAST things more than pretty ones and I loved that car. The wheels stuck out ridiculously much, as in the whole lowrider scene at that time, but it was fast and I've seen it do more than one smoky burnout and donut - nothing like coating a ridiculously expensive paint job with ridiculously expensive rubber! Anyhow, over the 20+ years since then I've gotten into the whole traditional hot rod thing real heavily and still love traditional hot rods and customs more than anything. One of the things I learned between both that and the lowrider scene is that STANCE is everything. For this car, I really wanted something that looked tough and gave my car just a tiny bit of rake. I figured I'd look at used stuff because you never know and there seems to be TONS of used parts for these out there. I found a guy about 90 miles away on Craigs List who had a set of ARE Torq Thrust IIs that he'd ordered for an '07 GT Convertible, run them for a summer, then decided he wanted something taller that tucks in. $550 and three hours later, I have these. I like the stance of the car right now. It's funny, because they're the same size as the stock ones - 17x8, but they're offset 4 inches and I LOVE the way they stick out a little. I'm not ready to go full-reverse in what would be the first early-90s 'euro style' lowrider ever but I love the way they look. Oh I also threw some exhaust tips on. I know it doesn't make the car faster, but it at least fills out the holes cut in the airdam. How does Ford manage to get so much so right and then blow it on the little details like that. Obviously, the foglamps are completely a taste thing, but I think it makes the car looks less like it has 4 headlights and, although they're just stick on translucent pieces of sticky plastic, they look really nice and non-cheesy - pretty much like factory.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:30 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

welcome
Old 04-28-2014, 03:48 PM
96t-bird
5th Gear Member

Welcome.Nice car.