New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New guy with some troubles :(

Old 06-16-2014, 05:08 PM
shadowlogic

Angry New guy with some troubles :(

2000 ford mustang V6

okay so here's the trouble
i purchased this car used, right at 200k miles, noticed a little transmission leak
no big deal, took it to my local trusted mech with a set of seals (front, rear, and torque conv.) he put all them in, i get it home it's leaking again.. figured it's just overflow, couple days later, it's leaked out nearly a quart, so i take it back to the mech, and pretty much demand that he fix it, he says a hose popped loose and is leaking, he fixed it up, no problems.. well i get it back again, and it's still leaking.. what the crap is going on here? either i'm getting screwed by my trusted mechanic, or it's leaking from somewhere that neither i nor he has figured out yet.. any suggestions or questions i'll answer freely,

Believe it's a AOD trans, 3.23 rear ratio and i don't drive it like i stole it i baby this car.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:11 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

It's not an AOD, they came in the older foxbodies up until 94. I'm not familiar with what tranny is in your car, but a trained mechanic that can't find a leak would have me worried. Good luck with your leak and welcome to the forum.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:18 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I had the same Mustang and trans, it developed a leak around the filler tube where it enters the top of the trans. The o-ring that seals the tube was shot. It's kinda hard to get too, you need to drop the rear of the trans to get to the bolts that hold in it.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:47 AM
shadowlogic

AoD meaning automatic overdrive, has a push button to engage the overdrive more than likely its a 4r70w, and I'll check there thanks for posting.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:50 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

One thing I have seen on automatics is a groove on the torque converter where it goes into the seal on the front of the trans. It is caused from either lots of grit in the trans fluid slowly grinding it down, or the spring in the seal rubbing on it, a new torque converter is the only option if this is the case.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:10 AM
shadowlogic

I hope it isn't the torque converter if that's the case that's another 225$ out of my measly 10$ an hour paycheck unless I can find a good one at a scrap yard or a salvage lot. Also developed a small oil leak, 3000 miles in need to change the oil believe its the filter.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:54 PM
shadowlogic

Here's a new question for you guys, to see if anyone is familiar enough with the transmissions of these cars, does anyone have a diagram or something they could send me, or explain to me where if too much were added, would excess fluid would leak from?
Old 06-21-2014, 12:07 AM
BlueBells96

if you added too much she will ****in blow
Old 06-21-2014, 10:01 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I gave my manual to the new owner when I sold mine, there are not very many places for it to leak, but it's hard to tell even when on a lift, the oil goes everywhere. It could be the oil pan, front or rear seal, the converter or the filler tube. There is an inspection plate where you can check the front seal (this is where the converter/trans seal would leak).
The front and real seals should be the easist to see. Oil always drips onto the pan, it usually looks soaked. You might run it through a car wash with a good underbody spray then park it over cardboard and see where it drips.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:05 PM
shadowlogic

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow
I gave my manual to the new owner when I sold mine, there are not very many places for it to leak, but it's hard to tell even when on a lift, the oil goes everywhere. It could be the oil pan, front or rear seal, the converter or the filler tube. There is an inspection plate where you can check the front seal (this is where the converter/trans seal would leak).
The front and real seals should be the easist to see. Oil always drips onto the pan, it usually looks soaked. You might run it through a car wash with a good underbody spray then park it over cardboard and see where it drips.
checked all had all replaced, leaking is centered towards about mid way of the transmission (running down towards the back of the pan) on both sides, something on the top of it is leaking.