New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

MYSTERIOUS MISFIRE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 10:56 PM
beccapaigexoxo

Angry MYSTERIOUS MISFIRE!

A little history..
I drive a 2001 Ford Mustang 3.8L V6. I have been driving this car for the last 7 years and have had no problems up until 7 months ago. Yes, I have been driving my car with a misfire in 1 and 3 for 7 months.

When leaving a friends house one morning, 7 months ago now, after my car had sat at week in some of the coldest and rainiest of weather here in NC, my car was literally shaking when I would accelerate. I thought my car was going to blow up. The engine light was flashing. I pulled off at the nearest gas station, poured in some fuel treatment, let the car sit and idle for a bit and drove it home. It stumbled, stuttered, and I really did not think I would make it home. When I made it home I let the car sit in the driveway for nearly 30 minutes while the cleaner had a chance to cycle through. Eventually, it seemed as though the rough idle worked itself out and even driving it days after the treatment it had gotten almost 100% better...so I figured why not run more treatments through and see if this problem clears itself up.

Well, here I am today, car is still running like crap. When I run the air it seems to bog the engine down. Going up hills or any type of acceleration right around 35 mph seems to strain my engine. It sometimes backfires. The engine light will still come on at times and flash, but always goes off 30 seconds later. It's time to put an end to it and get it fixed.
Lately, all the hoses, wires, and plugs have been examined by my cheap mechanic; my dad. Everything has checked out fine. Tonight he done a quick test of the coil pack to see if that was causing this mysterious misfire. I have had the codes tested twice but have forgotten them. All I know is I have a misfire in 1 and 3. Since he has tested the coil pack, it seems like it is running worse than before. The misfire in 1 used to be barely noticeable, but now after a stop when I go to accelerate it hesitates. The jerking still remains the worst at 35-45mph.

Anyone who has drove my car or tried to help diagnose this issue always said it is something in the fuel system. Dirty injectors, etc. Next came the throttle body suspicion, and now all eyes are on the coil pack due to the symptoms I am having.

Before I do drop money on a problem that may can easily be fixed, has anyone had this issue? And if so, what can I do to get my car running right again? That's all I want.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:38 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

I would start by just replacing the coil pack for starters. If the computer is throwing the code for a missfire, it's something electrical.

And welcome to the forum.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:12 AM
beccapaigexoxo

Thumbs up

Ok great! I was thinking even if a bad coil pack wasn't the problem that it couldn't hurt. Replace that and then if still the same old thing, I am probably going to have to take it to professional.

And thank you!