New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

86 GT Convert

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 05:03 PM
pilgrim6

Default 86 GT Convert

This is my third Fox Body. (technically its my son's, but the brakes failed when he tried to drive it to his new home about 80 miles from here. I ( wisely) suggested he leave it here until I can make it "safe". ( First fox was a '78 Hatchback 4 cyl, and second was a '83 convert 6 cyl)
It has turned into more of a project than I first wanted. It needs a new starter--its on order from - and its new; not remanufactuered. Thanks for warnings posted by members about enlarged bolt holes on the reman units. As tight as the starter clearance is, I want to do it once.
I have completely gone thru the brakes--new metal lines and all new flexible lines, and rear wheel cylinders, shoes and hardware. Also I was able to free up the E-brake cable.
It had a cowl induction F/G hood, rather poorly installed---using sheet metal screws as alignment bumpers! It also allowed a great deal of rain water into the cowl area messing up some electrical connections.
Had a dented RR quarter. Yes, I know that cutting out and welding in new metal is the correct repair, but sometimes, the budget is limited. I was able to pull, and push to about 1/4" from true, and then used plastic filler for the final contours. Then some bad paint flaking from an earlier repaint ( by a previous owner), and before I knew it, I did a complete repaint.
I finally found a way for him to afford the new top it disparately needs. I have measured the old bow locations, and removed the top. I have posted for some additional info over in "convertible tech" If you can help, please respond to that posting.
Parts should all be in by mid Sept. I have a few more interior projects until then. It is in the garage.
No, its not a restoration, but I have added a few years to its life until someone can afford to make better repairs.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:10 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Welcome and congrats on tackling the project yourself. Especially the body work and paint. That's the hardest for me. I'm fine with a wrench, but trying to get a body panel flat....... No Thanks lol.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:02 PM
pilgrim6

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
Welcome and congrats on tackling the project yourself. Especially the body work and paint. That's the hardest for me. I'm fine with a wrench, but trying to get a body panel flat....... No Thanks lol.
Its easy!!! take a gallon of bondo, and apply it is thin lifts --one golf-ball sized dollop at a time, and sand it all away. The the pile of bondo dust exceeds the gallon container it came in, you are close.

Seriously, the most important thing about sanding bonding is to think about the surface under the sander. That sounds logical, but its difficult for many people to understand.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:38 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

welcome