New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Need help on MPG, 2014 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 01:22 AM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by yourmom6990
curious, is it auto or manual?
Manual, I had a 13 auto and it got similar. Altitude and humidity might be a factor, I've mainly driven at sea level, but I didn't notice any large change when I went higher, humidity is generally the same where I've driven, but it can be a factor.

Like I said, drive it hard for a bit and see what that does, and also be sure to use good gas, I'm not saying you have to use premium... Just a good brand. I have always used 91 octane or better.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:33 AM
berzerk_1980

Originally Posted by ticopowell
I get 22ish city, and 25 highway in my 14 GT MT, and I have driven it hard for over 14k miles. I actually got my best mpg's last weekend at 26-27 through flat parts of colorado/new mexico/texas/oklahoma, so I think either it needs to still be broken in (possibly harder than what you are doing, aka drive it like you stole it), or you are driving it harder than what you think you are doing. There could be something wrong, but you aren't really going to know for a few thousand miles... if you get to 3-4k on the odo and you are still getting teens for mileage then talk to the dealer.
That is crazy! How are you getting 22 in the city? Also, are you using the overall mpg screen, the trip mpg screen, or calculating by hand?
Old 10-06-2014, 09:39 AM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ticopowell
Manual, I had a 13 auto and it got similar. Altitude and humidity might be a factor, I've mainly driven at sea level, but I didn't notice any large change when I went higher, humidity is generally the same where I've driven, but it can be a factor.

Like I said, drive it hard for a bit and see what that does, and also be sure to use good gas, I'm not saying you have to use premium... Just a good brand. I have always used 91 octane or better.
Unless your car is tuned for 91, you're wasting your money. Maybe it's your driving style? When I want to get good gas mileage, I make sure to keep it around 2k when shifting and trying not to go over. I usually get 25mpg combined.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:05 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
That is crazy! How are you getting 22 in the city? Also, are you using the overall mpg screen, the trip mpg screen, or calculating by hand?
I guess city isn't quite the normal city, Going to and from work I get 21-22, If I am sitting in stop and go a lot (hardly ever with where I drive) I have seen it go down to 18.
All this is both the average mpg screen and hand calculating, they are usually within 1 mpg depending on when I reset the meter last.

The coyote motor gets better hp with higher octane, with 85-87 octane the engines are only rated to about 405hp vs the 420hp with 93. They use the knock sensors to adjust the timing until it knocks then backs it off until it doesn't, and it keeps testing it constantly. This is why it makes a difference in these cars. The 2015 has something like a 13% drop in hp with lower octane gas on the Ecoboost, not sure what the difference is on the 5.0 but I think it is about 1% from what I have read, if there is a difference on the V6 it is probably less than that, so you most likely won't notice it, but it is something that could possibly be affecting the mileage of the OP.

Now if you have a tune, make sure to only run the octane that the tune was written for.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:30 PM
Shahabkosari

curious, is it auto or manual?
automatic
Old 10-06-2014, 08:44 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shahabkosari
automatic
weird. I would def get it checked out.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:44 PM
Shahabkosari

I talked to them at the dealer they told me wait until the first oil change (5k miles), I guess I ain't got a choice!
Old 10-15-2014, 01:07 PM
Shahabkosari

For future reference if anyone had my problem, I just wanted to say when I passes 500 miles I started getting better and better mpg. I'm a 630 miles now and i'm getting 18 city - 25 highway.. about 21-23 combined... I think I just had to break it in...
Old 10-16-2014, 02:01 AM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Unless your car is tuned for 91, you're wasting your money.
If you have a v6 this is true, the GT has an adaptive computer that self adjusts for octane.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:05 AM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shahabkosari
For future reference if anyone had my problem, I just wanted to say when I passes 500 miles I started getting better and better mpg. I'm a 630 miles now and i'm getting 18 city - 25 highway.. about 21-23 combined... I think I just had to break it in...
OH My Science that's good to hear.
Wow nice Sig pic, about twice as big as it should be though.

Quick Reply: Need help on MPG, 2014 Mustang