New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Help?? First car purchase EVER and on craigslist too.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 02:02 AM
mustangmoney

Default Help?? First car purchase EVER and on craigslist too.

I'm not sure how long I could make this but if I have to divide it into 2-4 parts I don't mind, I need some help, advice, recommendations.

03-09-15
I have just saved up barely enough money to buy a mustang and I had $2400. I went onto craigslist and found an asking price similar to mine ($3500). This is the original link ( http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/4910957630.html ) not sure if still works. So I checked out the post, seemed suspicious a little cause it barely had any details on the car. If the original posting doesn't work, I will include the details anyway.

" 2004 ford mustang odometer: 200000 fuel : gastransmission : manual title status : clean
Only call
Only call
I am gonna sell it today
No low ballers no dealers
No email no text

First come buy
200000 mileage. It has rebuild engine

Mint condition Mustang
Doesn't have dent or damage
Interior is in perfect shape
You can't have any mustang this clean
It has 19" black foose rims. It has new engine manual transmission beast car
Runs fast
No mechanical issue

No PayPal or scammers only serious customers

Contact info
310-67** "
I was really excited by the price around me, and the visual the car had, it was customized with I believe a roush front bumper, smoked head lights, new grilles. IT WAS ALSO ADVERTISED AS A MUSTANG GT*** And so then I clicked on the next picture, it's a different image of the first picture. I wasn't thinking and just decided to message the seller.

03-10-15
We decided to meet up, and he brought it from $3000 asking price to $2600. Let's call him Benzon. He sent me his address and I brought along a mechanic and my friend. I was almost there and he sent me a different address and I still ignored this sign since I was almost there. We finally arrive at the new address in Los Angeles, right by west Hollywood. I parked my car way up the street, and told him I was outside. He comes out with the car and I was shocked it wasn't the one displayed with the roush bumper, smoked headlights. I asked him why it wasn't the one in the pic and he says it's from the Internet, so I'm a little pissed. The mechanic opens the hood inspects it, the Persian looking guy inspects the vehicle and claims its a V8, rebuilt engine. The mechanic only speaks Spanish and he said it was a V8 as well. I know info about mustangs and it did not sound like a V8, no ex badges of it, dirty old single exhaust pipe. He was bull****ting but I was just in the moment of, I'm finally going to own a mustang. So the mechanic inspects it, says the car needs motor mounts, and an oxygen O2 sensor. The mechanic says, not worth it. The guy, let's call him Benzon, tells me not to waste his time, and so we leave.

03/11/15

He texts me out of nowhere and offers me $2,400 I have that much in my bank and am get the feeling of excitement I will own it and drive it. I paid $54 for a car fax, and the vehicle was not stolen and so it seemed clean. We then decided to meet up, but he gives me his actual address, in LA. I brought 3 of my friends, which apparently all knew nothing about purchasing cars and had no knowledge what so ever like me. We meet up at his house, and I see him sitting in a BMW. I park, and he comes out with the same car, reving the engine to make it sound like a V8, which didn't. So I try to get a lot of info from the guy whose selling it, and he just tells me bring this to DMV. Which is the bill of sale, I just listen to what he says, and then I noticed the handwriting was very shaky and the signature looked forged. (I told him about the title and he just says he lost it, so I was like ok, must be a way around it.) I questioned him about forged signature and he said it was in another persons name, so he gives me the previous guy, who sold it to him, his address and phone number. okay. We go to DMV, I checked VIN In car to made sure they all match. They did, not stolen at least. So I give him the $2400 in cash, he counts it, I drop him off at home. When I drop him off, he doesn't look at me in the face when I pass by him, and he goes into a BMW behind the one he was in. I suspected he was a car salesman. Okay so, we go to the DMV and the line is too long so we just leave.

03/12/15

It's midnight. I go on CARFAX.com and make sure the car is not stolen again, cause the lock key hole is lose, and the lock falls out the door. I also stumble upon that ACCORDING TO CARFAX THE REGISTRATION EXPIRED IN 2011. I googled everything about expired tags and I thought I would have to pay like $300. I threatened the dude and told him, WHY WOULD U SELL ME EXPIRED TAGS so I call police and let officer know about my situation. He tells me to remain calm, and that the most important part, the vehicle is not stolen, and the registration expired 3 days ago. He then mentions I can sue him in small claims court, and get back what I paid for. Woo what a relief. So I apologize to the guy about that carfax information isn't even correct and that everything's okay.

03/13/15

I google information about requesting duplicate title since it was lost. I contact the previous owner (Let's call him E) who sold it to Benzon (LA guy). He said the car was an auction car and it came with no plates, no smog papers, and no title (I think??). E tells me he gave Benzon the lien paper from the auction, and I think a title? I don't remember. But he says he definitely gave him the lien paper. So I try to pick all of this process up and give him a call and ask him about plates and title. He tells me, it didn't come with plates nor title so then I get real mad. I realized I am dealing with a person who sells vehicles without titles, forges previous owners name and signature, and then expects the new buyer to get a way around the process to register it by contacting last seller. I am only assuming this is this master plan to rip people off and make money like this. I have never heard of this EVER.

03/12/15 part 2:

I meet with E the same day and tell him I need help and he tries his best cause his name is on the lost supposedly "lost title". He gives me a bill of sale that a towing truck company gave him. On top of that, he gives me a bill of sale that goes to my name. He told me he doesn't register cars either, it doesn't bug me cause he is a legitimate person that cares, at least I think. So i left, I googled many things and found out

1. need to complete a duplicate title form
2: Needs to be filled with actual owner which is towing company.
3. Will not pass smog, check engine light on.
4. I hate everything.

Now E has told me to ask for lien paper and title, and Benzon is really furious with me and keeps claiming he doesn't have any title paper or lein. He says he lost the lein paper, and to get a new one from E. I annoy him one more time about title paper, and send him a screenshot image of him saying he lost the title. With his name he used to fill out on E's lien paper. He calls me and tells me what the f*** am I trying, why am I wasting his time, why am I immature, I don't know what I'm doing, and then he says again to stop
wasting his time and if I don't want the car, he can f***king buy it back and hangs up.

03/13/15
So blah blah blah fast forward I find out people have done something similar to this and found something related to title jumping? I couldn't find much information on it, but it says I have been in an illegal action ?? I don't know so much about it.

I also have to get the duplicate title paper signed by the towing company if i want to get the title onto my name. Since they are registered owner. It's a very annoying process someone can ever go through. And honestly I'm pretty pissed my first car deal ever went like this, I'm a college student trying to study to further my education and buy myself a car to get around and get to work. I just wished I knew more info about car buying and everything else man. I've been typing this for about 2hours now and regret everything. The dude wants to buy it back for a reason so he can scam another person. ***AM I RIGHT OR Wrong?? He wants $1500 and then I say $1700, and then he says deal, and I call it off cause I lose like $700. After that angry conversation that pissed him off, I think he said he would pay more so I can stop annoying him. I wasn't too sure because I thought he was going to go after me and I was nervous.

******what should I do now? I have to pay for expired registration, new plates, fix check engine light, pass smog, insurance to pay for car. I don't know if I can even take his *** to small claims court, or not. I believe I was partaking in an illegal transaction?? I have his name he used to sign bill of sale, his address, and phone number. I'm stuck with the car and his low *** selling price

WHAT CAN/ SHOULD I DO??????????!!! BUG HIM TILL HE GIVES ME BACK MY FULL AMOUNT, $1900, OR CALL POLICE ON HIM FOR FRAUD? He still wants the car.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:50 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Sorry, I lost interest by the third paragraph and skipped to the end. I don't know the laws out there, but in Wisconsin, as soon as cash trades hands, all car problems are yours. Nothing you can do except small claims court which can get expensive.

Welcome to the forum by the way, hope this works out for you.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:39 AM
shanewilsonjr

Hi there, Welcome to Mustang Forums ! Hope you BUY your dream Ride soon !
Old 03-19-2015, 09:36 AM
mustangmoney

Default DMV

I feel like I over exaggerated the whole situation and the DMV half way registered my car. I just need insurance and to pass the smog lol. And thanks for the welcoming