New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New Mustang Convertible

Old 10-14-2015, 11:58 AM
Juanlargo

Default New Mustang Convertible

Hi everyone, I just joined the forum although my ne Mustang is still a couple of weeks away. I ordered a GT Premium Convertible from the factory since the dealer could not find anything that matched my want list anywhere on the East Coast.

I have already obtained Ford racing 19" wheels and tire, Ford racing lowering springs, and a sub-frame K member brace. I'm waiting to get the car to see if it already has a Strut Tower brace, if not I'll get one of those too. So my goal is to seriously reduce or eliminate cowl shake and make the GT drive like a real convertible GT should.

I will post my results as I go along and if anyone has suggestions based on experience please send them my way. Looking forward to sharing with the Ford community.

John
Old 10-14-2015, 03:36 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Welcome aboard and congrat's on new car purchase.

Post pictures when you get the car....
Old 10-15-2015, 05:57 AM
Carolina Man
3rd Gear Member

Welcome
Old 10-15-2015, 07:42 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Welcome John, glad to have you. And congrats on your new Mustang.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:49 AM
carid
Former Sponsor

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase! Wishing you a short wait and look forward to seeing the pics with the first mods.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:54 AM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Congrats and welcome
Old 10-23-2015, 09:28 AM
Juanlargo

Thank's everyone, I just got a set of Ford racing 19X9 - 19X9.5 wheels for it but the guy at the tire store put a 275 tire on a 9 inch rim and a 255 on a 9,9 inch rime so when we unknowingly put them on the car the oversized front rim rubbed against the strut. Took them back last Tuesday and got them swapped so they will fit correctly now.

Lesson learned, if you run staggered wheels always measure them before you put them on the car.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:34 AM
Juanlargo

Almost forgot to post a picture.
Attached Thumbnails New Mustang Convertible-mustang-day2.jpg  
Old 10-23-2015, 08:05 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Beautiful car, welcome.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:39 AM
Juanlargo

So we put the new Ford Racing wheels on it last night. Tried last weekend but the tire store guys put a 225 tire on a 9.5 inch rear rim, and a 275 tire on the 9 inch front rim. Needless to say they did not fit correctly.

Next project will be the lowering springs. I got a set of Ford springs from CJ and they should work well. Later we will be installing the K member brace and the rear sub frame connector.

The care came with a strut tower brace and C section firewall brace. There is no noticeable cowl shake, the new chassis are much tighter than the older fox body cars. Anyway, here are a couple more photos of last nights tire swap and a picture of it with the stock wheels on it.
Attached Thumbnails New Mustang Convertible-just-got-it-home.jpg   New Mustang Convertible-new-wheels-two.jpg   New Mustang Convertible-stock-wheel-coming-off.jpg  

Search this Thread