New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Buying 2005 mustang. Any advice or things to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 09:54 AM
jrylander1

Default Buying 2005 mustang. Any advice or things to look for?

I found a 2005 mustang V6 on craigslist. It has 155xxx miles and the owner says its in excellent condition inside and out. He has it listed for $4950 OBO. What are some things to look at for that year mustang. any common problems this certain model has? If it is in excellent condition is this a good price for this car with the higher miles on it?

thanks for the help guys.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:06 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Sounds like a good deal.

No major problems I know of. If it's an automatic make sure it shifts fine.

4.0 motor is good for a long time.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:08 AM
jrylander1

Yea its an automatic. How should I test the shifting. Should I floor it on the highway and see how it shifts or is there a better way to test the tranny?
Old 02-11-2016, 06:51 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum, make sure it shifts fine during normal driving and full throttle. Pull dipstick out and look at color of tranny fluid, should be a bright red, not dark red with a burnt odor. Good luck
Old 02-11-2016, 08:46 AM
jrylander1

Thanks guys. The guy sold it on me last minute. I ended up picking up another one same year 2005 with 111k miles for $5700. The car came from NY and has never seen a winter so the body is in excellent condition. It seemed to shift fine under normal driving and when I floored it.

The car seats are ripped and have some burn marks. Is there a good place to get seats? I would like to get some black leather front seats if I could for a decent price.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:47 AM
Drophead08
1st Gear Member

Congratulations! Sounds like you got a nice car at a good price and I'm sure you will have fun with it. This is the time of year to do all the cool jobs on the car you want to do so you'll be ready for Spring driving season.

I think there is a sub-forum around here dealing with "Appearance" and you may find some helpful hints there. I know you can buy whole interior packages but that would be kinda pricey. Good luck.