New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

1965 smell like gas inside

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 01:03 PM
sand235

Default 1965 smell like gas inside

I just bought a 1965 Mustang with a Cobra engine 347 CI, the car is all restored, lots of new parts, new engine, runs really well etc.. After 5 min driving it I smell like gasoline, fumes...I took it to a good mechanic that I trust and he could not find any leaks under on the fuel lines or gas tank. Could it be the carburetor that is not burning the fuel properly? I have e feeling the gas its not going thru the exhaust in the right way.
I really appreciate any sugestions or opinions about it. also sorry about, I am new to muscle cars and trying to learn more how to take care this fun Mustang
Old 04-09-2016, 01:05 PM
sand235

]I just bought a 1965 Mustang with a Cobra engine 347 CI, the car is all restored, lots of new parts, new engine, runs really well etc.. After 5 min driving it I smell like gasoline, fumes...I took it to a good mechanic that I trust and he could not find any leaks under on the fuel lines or gas tank. Could it be the carburetor that is not burning the fuel properly? I have e feeling the gas its not going thru the exhaust in the right way.
I really appreciate any sugestions or opinions about it. I am new to muscle cars and trying to learn more how to take care this fun Mustang
Old 04-10-2016, 09:44 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Your engine could be running really rich which your trusty mechanic should have spotted if he ran the engine.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:51 AM
jakebrake

to fill the passenger compartment?

that would be running beyond rich, if at all. that sounds more like a leak.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:43 AM
sand235

Default 1965 smells like gas inside

The second mechanic also did not find any leaks under or anywhere else, he thinks it maybe the carburetor adjustment or problem with it, not sending the gas properly thru the exhaust, does it make sense? The car does not choke, it runs really well, solid sounding engine with 4k miles on it. I appreciate the feedback guys...any thoughts? thanks
Old 04-10-2016, 12:46 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

If your engine is running rich, the spark plugs will be black, not tan. If you hold a white rag over the end of the exhaust pipe, it will start turning black in 20 to 30 seconds.
Is this a fast back?
Old 04-10-2016, 05:24 PM
sand235

Default 1965 smell like gas

It is a coupe, all restored, engine with 4k miles...also I noticed it start to smell after 15 to 20 min of driving it. The impression I have is that the smell comes from the middle to the back of the car, not from the front...Thanks for the feedback
Old 04-10-2016, 07:58 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Is this your first classic? All of the old cars smelled like exhaust, most ran rich and needed frequent tuneups. It's possible that the smell is normal, just getting sucked into your car through a poorly sealed window or the trunk. I'd make sure the exhaust pipe extends past the bumper about an inch. Do you smell it more with the windows open or closed? Moving or stopped? Did you check all of the rubber seals in the doors and the trunk?
Old 04-10-2016, 08:39 PM
sand235

Default 1865 smell like gas inside

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow
Is this your first classic? All of the old cars smelled like exhaust, most ran rich and needed frequent tuneups. It's possible that the smell is normal, just getting sucked into your car through a poorly sealed window or the trunk. I'd make sure the exhaust pipe extends past the bumper about an inch. Do you smell it more with the windows open or closed? Moving or stopped? Did you check all of the rubber seals in the doors and the trunk?
It is my first classic. I expected a little bit of smell but it is a little too much. With windows closed i feel less and stopped or moving is there the smell. Could it be a problem with the carburator? Thanks for your feedback Chromes shadow!
Old 04-10-2016, 09:00 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I think the exhaust is getting pulled in as you drive from around a seal. You might turn the fan on high with the windows closed. Might not hurt to grab a battery carbon monoxide detector for a while.
Check all of the seals, look for holes in the trunk or under the body. You can also try to block the exhaust pipe(s) and see if there is too much pressure to hold it with your hand. It will be hot, you'll need a glove. If you can block it, there is a leak.

Quick Reply: 1965 smell like gas inside