New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

HELP!! 2004 ford mustang shaking, hesitating, ABS light on, and burning smell

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 10:08 AM
julieann23

Default HELP!! 2004 ford mustang shaking, hesitating, ABS light on, and burning smell

I have a 2004 ford mustang V6 convertible, 94Koriginal miles and I am the ONLY Owner. Irecently had ALOT of work done to her to make her road ready and safe for me (beforethe winter, the brakes went bad and I had a hesitation issue that scared memany times - felt like the car was going to conk out on me... on majorhighways). After sitting all winter, Itook her to my mechanic to have him do a full workup – he inspected her,replacing brakes and rotors, plus many other things (all listed below). I got her back... and thought my problemswere GONE... but now....

My current issues are:
  • BAD Shaking - startsafter being on the road for more than 10 minutes - happens when I am goingabove 50mph, and sometimes stops and starts again. I can go 70mph for 5 minutes w/ no issue...then all of a sudden it starts to shake and pull back / slow down... scary!
  • Slight wobble - onlyhappens after the shaking... I noticed this when I was stopping and going intraffic - slow speed.
  • STILL Hesitating -this ALWAYS and ONLY happens when I drop down between 1.5 and 2 RPM's - I'vehad this issue since last year - I asked my mechanic to give me a tune up (eventhough he said I didn't really need it). He installed new spark plugs, a new battery, air filter, fuel filter,and gave it an oil change.
  • ABS light on - notsure why?
  • Burning smell -second time I smelled this and it's the 2nd time I took my car on the road fora 45min or longer trip (this is new so it probably has something to me gettingnew brakes and rotors recently??).

Anyway... I am at work now... 1 hour from my home...and I am afraid to drive her home now

What else can I have done that I haven'talready? My mechanic said she wasperfect and ready to go (overall inspection passed!) NOW WHAT? My husband thinks I'm crazy.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:39 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear all the troubles your having.

I'm not familiar with the newer Mustangs, but you'll get more help if you start a new thread in the Tech section for your year car. That's where these types of issues get solved. Good luck
Old 05-23-2016, 10:46 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Find a new mechanic. And a new Hubby that listens, lol. A car shaking and smelling is not good. Shakes and smells are never good, no good thing ever came from a car shaking and stinking. The shake is probably a combination of things. Does the steering wheel shake or the whole car? Does it seem like it's coming from the front or the rear? I'd check all of the tires for bulges in the sidewall and for any tread defects. I'd bounce each corner of the car to see if any of them is different from the others.

The burning smell and the ABS light tell me (inho) that your mechanic may have screwed up the brakes. I'd look at the rotors with a flashlight and look for rough groves in them. Some wear lines are normal, if they look like sand paper or have deep groves they are part of the problem. My guess is the brakes are stuck or installed incorrectly. Do not touch them to see if they are hot after driving for a while, you may burn your hand. You can spay them with water and see if they sizzle, don't use much or you will warp the rotor. My guess is one will be very very hot, the others will just be hot.
Good luck, keep us up to date!
Old 05-24-2016, 11:25 AM
julieann23

Default Thank you!

I am just catching up on the responses now. I haven't discussed with anybody yet but I did make it home ok last Friday... and I parked the car. The ride home was ok... no shaking, no burning smell... but I still had the slight hesitation occur when I dropped under 2RPM's?
I will try her out again tonight and check the tires and the rotors (to see how hot, etc...). I will update the post when I figure out (or have somebody else figure out) what the issue is...
Thanks!