New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New GT Seems To Be Losing Power

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 02:31 PM
jmusser96

Default New GT Seems To Be Losing Power

Hey guys! I'm a new member to the forums, and proud owner of my first ever mustang, a 2017 GT in Grabber Blue. I have clocked 1300 miles in the car so far, and there are a couple things it's doing that are raising some concern for me. First off, the car shakes intermittently at idle. Not violently, but it's definitely noticeable. I know V8's are unbalanced engines by nature of their design, but I'm not sure this would cause this issue. Secondly, the 5.0L engine doesn't seem to have as much grunt as it did the day I brought the car home from the dealership. At first, I thought it was just a mix of new car paranoia, getting used to the power, and the immense heat MD is experiencing right now, but I don't think that's the case after giving it some more thought. The temperatures have been fairly consistent since I got the car, ruling that out. As for getting used to the power, I definitely expect that to an extent, but 435hp shouldn't seem like nothing. I can't even get the wheels to chirp in first gear as of the past few days. I know there are a lot of variables with new cars such as break in and the ECU learning itself, but one would imagine the car would feel even better after that stuff happened. Not the case here. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore the car, but I definitely wanted to check in here with more experienced owners about these possible issues. And just to let everyone know, I've already taken the car to the dealership. They didn't even want to check it for me and when I insisted they did, they unsurprisingly said that "none of the described occurrences could be replicated". Any and all input you guys could give will be much appreciated! Glad to be a part of the forums
Old 08-15-2016, 03:42 PM
Pr0cl1v1ty
2nd Gear Member

First off, how much do you know about cars? I'm curious to understand your knowledge and how things would need to be explained.

If you cant "chirp" the tires in first, you are doing something wrong.

Is it manual or auto?

Have you turned off traction control and tried accelerating in first gear?
Old 08-15-2016, 03:52 PM
jmusser96

I like to think I know a decent amount about cars. I've done plenty of diy repairs, from oil changes to head gasket replacements, and I'm a professional car detailer. Cars are my passion. haha So no need to worry about being too technical in your explanations. Car has an automatic transmission, so I'm not expecting to spin the wheels a whole lot, but it used to do it a good bit when I floored it in first with traction control off. Lately, not so much. When I floor it in first (traction control as off it is gets), it takes a few seconds for the power to really come on, not much initial power or torque upon flooring it.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:06 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your '17.

I'm not familiar with the newer Mustangs, but the guys/gals in the Tech section can give you better advice than me. Maybe ask in there because when I drove my friends '16 there was definitely no lack of power. Good luck.

And I'd start looking for a different dealer.......
Old 08-16-2016, 08:34 AM
Pr0cl1v1ty
2nd Gear Member

jmusser, have you tried putting it in the "manual" mode and launching staying in first gear?

Have you tried the launch control option?

Have you been driving a lot of highway or ways that require little acceleration?
Old 08-16-2016, 11:46 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Take it to a different dealer. Car should fly.