New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Mach1 needs complete rebuild - need advice and feedback

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 01:27 PM
dbeckwith

Default Mach1 needs complete rebuild - need advice and feedback

Hello all,

I've joined this forum as my siblings and I inherited a 1973 Mach 1 that my father purchased about 10 years ago. It was running when he bought it, but he wanted to completely rebuild it. He got it disassembled all the way, but never got around to actually start putting it back together. It is currently sitting in two different barns in Cassopolis, MI area.

There is really only surface rust on most of the parts. Its got the 351 Cleveland.

My questions are:
1. Is this worth trying to tackle the job of putting her back together? Or should we look to part out the pieces?
2. If we were to have someone do this work for us, whats a rough guess on man hours for that work?
3. If we were to try and sell everything as is, whats a rough guess on value?

Meant to include this link to photos.

https://goo.gl/photos/jnX4oJsPdxME7Ujz7

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-28-2016, 07:38 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum.

Those are tough questions .

Parting out a complete , classic Mustang is frowned upon by some. But in your case it might be a choice as having someone start from scratch and assemble the car on your dime will cost a fortune.

I'd throw some ads up for the complete package on Hemmings, Craigslist, eBay, or other classic car sights and see what happens.

Good luck
Old 11-28-2016, 09:13 AM
dbeckwith

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
Welcome to the forum.

Those are tough questions .

Parting out a complete , classic Mustang is frowned upon by some. But in your case it might be a choice as having someone start from scratch and assemble the car on your dime will cost a fortune.

I'd throw some ads up for the complete package on Hemmings, Craigslist, eBay, or other classic car sights and see what happens.

Good luck
Thanks for the feedback. Agreed, I definitely don't want to part it out if we don't have to. I just know that in parting it out, this pile of parts has a decent amount of value. Far more than the $500 someone offered soon after my dad passed.

I am a big car guy as well, and would love to get this guy back together and running. Unfortunately, I don't have the time, energy or extra cash to do so. I already inherited his mid-life crisis supercharged Nissan 370z, so the remaining amount owed on that and upkeep takes enough time and money as it is.

Any idea what a reasonable price for the mustang as is would be? Are we talking $500? $5000?

Thanks!!!
Old 11-29-2016, 06:34 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Sorry, I'd just be guessing at a value as I'm not familiar with the going rate of the older Mustangs. But honestly it would be closer to the $500 figure than the $5000 if it's completely disassembled now.

You could try asking in the Tech section, there's one devoted to Classics and they will probably know more.

Good luck and enjoy the Z.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:47 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

If all those pieces amount to a complete car, then it would be an awful waste to part it out. It'll take forever, and you'll just wind up with a smaller pile of parts that haven't sold. You'd eventually end up having to truck the remainder off to a scrapyard to get rid of it.

Paying shop labor to put it back together will undoubtedly cost several thousand dollars. A more accurate figure depends heavily on the condition of the components and the quality of the restoration. It's one thing to just bolt everything back together again, but quite another to clean the dust/mold/etc off, reupholster, and paint.

I think your best bet is to put it back together in your spare time, or sell the whole kit at a price that will attract someone with the resources and motivation to tackle such a big project. I hate to say it, but a 3-figure price might actually be appropriate here. Most of the car's true worth is offset by the amount of work needed.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:01 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

If it were me I'd sell it as is.

You could sell it part by part but that might take a long time..

Based on the year of the car and how much work would take to put it back together it would be a nightmare.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:54 PM
dbeckwith

Thanks all for the advice!!