New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

2010 Mustand clunking in front end

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 04:24 PM
Pontcar

Default 2010 Mustand clunking in front end

New to this forum but recently fixed the clunking in my front end. Typical clunking noise going over small bumps and into driveways. The swaybar frame bushings had play in them. Tried to move the sway bar and everything felt tight. Wedged a piece of wood between the swaybar and frame, drove down my gravel driveway where it always made the noise and clunking was gone. Removed the bushing brackets, closed them a bit to reduce play between the factory poly bushings and the bracket. Also placed a small piece of rubber (a piece of innertube from a think thorn proof mountain bike tire) between the bushing and frame to to allow additional tightening so the bracket wouldnt bottom out on the frame before they were tight against the bushing. Applied a bit of lithium grease to eliminate any future squeaks. Noise is competely gone. Hope this helps anyone who is having this problem. My ride.......2010 convertible with 2015 GT premium wheels with 275 40 19's.
Attached Thumbnails 2010 Mustand clunking in front end-161202_044-2-.jpg  
Old 12-07-2016, 06:27 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the tips.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:15 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Yep, welcome and you found one of the often overlooked sources of front end clunking on the 2005+ models.

Same thing happened to me. The bushings are cheap enough though if you look on Ebay. I'd recommend replacing them since the inner tube rubber you added will eventually slip out or wear out. Inner tubes were not designed for the heat of automotive applications.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:16 PM
Pontcar

Thank you !!! Happy to be back in a Mustang. Been awhile.