New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

So I finally bought one, and an introduction

Old 01-02-2017, 05:09 PM
dochawk
1st Gear Member

Default So I finally bought one, and an introduction

While my preference is Cadillacs from about 1903 to 2004 (the last year they were cadillac rather than rebadged GM with extra leather), well, a Mustang is a Mustang.

So instead of another Cadillac, we picked up a '97 Mustang GT convertible for $1,500 for her this morning (Hope I don't get kicked off the CLC board for this )

So, anyway, I'm an economics professor and attorney (currently now almost all law), and my wife, the redhead, will be driving it.

I also home-brew and garden in the desert (hey, some windmills have it coming!).

This one is for my wife, the redhead.

My daily driver is a '97 Eldorado Touring Coup in amazing condition, which sits in the garage next to a 1972 Eldorado Convertible I'm restoring (just got the fuel tank back on yesterday, now working on replacing water pump and fan clutch, which should leave it drivable again). There's a 2006 Miata next to the house waiting for me to buy a used engine to swap. [I hope it doesn't break forum rules to say as much as I love that car, never buy a Mazda. Transmission failed at 40k, engine at 60k, and rebuilt engine at 70k. Along with all the other problems]

I certainly wouldn't have chosen those huge 20" wheels (and have turned down Caddies for the same), but she likes the hubcaps. It also came with two spare 20" non-matching wheels with mismatched tires but much more tread.

So I need to figure out whether to keep these, or trade them for mustang wheels. Just how much do these kind of tires cost (I'm in Las Vegas, so treadle is irrelevant; they die from dryrot first).

doc

(yeah, since my priest started calling me "Doc", I gave up)
Old 01-04-2017, 07:28 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum, ......from a fellow Caddy driver.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:55 AM
carid
Former Sponsor

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase! It looks great, you made a perfect choice!
Old 01-05-2017, 02:51 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Looks like a pretty clean car for $1500.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:08 PM
dochawk
1st Gear Member

If you look closely, there's actually a small piece of the hood missing. And a couple of bad scratches/gouges in the paint on the hood.

But my wife loves it, and it's for her to drive. I'd remove that silly M from the hood, but she likes that, too. She can't seem to decide whether it's her initial, or for "Mama" . . .

The silver is flaking badly on the bumper, and a bit about the taillights, but that's probably just a sandpaper and spraypaint job. It's the original black showing through, and I suspect it was only spray-painted in the first place, without even sanding.

Indeed, it does seem to be $1,500 well spent.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:33 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Welcome aboard.

Great price on the car....

Search this Thread