New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New Member and an Old 1967 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 11:00 PM
PotteryPal
1st Gear Member

Arrow New Member and an Old 1967 Coupe

Hello fellow members.

After a two year struggle trying to decide between a modern, expensive muscle car or go classic. I pulled the trigger and went classic. The primary reason is I love cars I can work as I like to do most of my own work, second I hate losing money buying new cars!

I purchased a 1967 Coupe which is original except the paint and a rebuilt 289 motor several years ago.

Based on what I have determined so far I want to update the suspension go to 4 wheel disc and increase the motor HP and possibly update the rear end if the motor changes require it.

My question to you is where should I start first; front brakes, rear brakes or suspension? My main concern is I don't want to burn money doing stuff twice, or having to back track because I didn't have a sound plan.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails New Member and an Old 1967 Coupe-1967-ford-mustang-13.jpg   New Member and an Old 1967 Coupe-1967-ford-mustang-01.jpg   New Member and an Old 1967 Coupe-1967-ford-mustang-33.jpg  
Old 02-02-2017, 12:31 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Front brakes do 75% of the stopping so start there.

Great looking Mustang... Enjoy!!
Old 02-02-2017, 11:02 PM
PotteryPal
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by movielover40
Front brakes do 75% of the stopping so start there.

Great looking Mustang... Enjoy!!

Ok. Thanks!
Old 02-03-2017, 12:21 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Do the front and rear brakes at the same time so that you don't have to mess with installing a proportioning valve for the disc/drum just to change it later for a disc/disc. Having said that, disc/drum works perfectly well on that car to be honest.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:09 PM
PotteryPal
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by proeagles
Do the front and rear brakes at the same time so that you don't have to mess with installing a proportioning valve for the disc/drum just to change it later for a disc/disc. Having said that, disc/drum works perfectly well on that car to be honest.
Thanks proeagles. I agree, brakes first. I plan to do front and rear all disc at the same time. I am looking at at full set of Wilwood at Total Control Products. Can you make any other recommendations?
Old 02-09-2017, 06:13 PM
PotteryPal
1st Gear Member

Proeagles. Quick question, Can I do the 4 wheel disc conversion and stay with the manual brakes now but add the brake booster at a future date?