New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

My pony has a sick tyranny...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 10:00 AM
Wannabett

Default My pony has a sick tyranny...

The transmission in my 08 4.0 suddenly lost all gears while driving. Has anyone else had this issue. And what was the culprit? I most note that fluid levels were good and that I found no shavings in the pan or filter.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:39 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

If it is the automatic transmission it is a 5R55S and that is a sealed transmission.

You shouldn't change the fluid yourself.

There is no dipstick to add fluid to it.

Best to take it to a reputable shop or dealer and see if they can get it going for you.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:38 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum, hope it's a simple fix....
Old 07-19-2017, 02:43 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Wannabett
The transmission in my 08 4.0 suddenly lost all gears while driving. Has anyone else had this issue. And what was the culprit? I most note that fluid levels were good and that I found no shavings in the pan or filter.
For those that have interest, the two most common reasons for this to happen is either the Input shaft and/or transmission pump failed. No pressure, no gear, no go.

Found that out the hard way. Mine did exactly the same thing at 83,000 miles last week. It's now getting a remanufacturered tranny with 3 yr/unlimited mile warranty.

Under moderate acceleration, as it went from 2nd to 3rd, I heard what sounded like a small spring bouncing around a metal room and that was it, no gears and no more acceleration. Since The trans shift cable was working fine I had it towed to the dealer. Fluid level was good, color/condition was good. Everything appeared ok but no pressure was the red flag. They can't/won't tell me more unless they can tear into it ($) which is just not worth it IMO.