Obsessive Detail Your source for premier detailing products. We carry Poorboy's World, ClearKote, Optimum, Stoner, Lake Country, and Porter Cable.

waxes and polishing compounds

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 08:54 PM
connor90
4th Gear Member

Default waxes and polishing compounds

well i was sent over here to see what i should use. i wetsanded my car with 2000 grit sandpaper and need advise on what polishes, pads, etc. to use to yield the best results. it is just a single stage red paint job so there is no clear. thanks
Old 04-26-2007, 09:16 PM
Juztang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: waxes and polishing compounds

I just responed to your post over in the detailing section. I just now noticed this post!

What are you using to apply the polish/swirl removers? Most of the bodyshops around here use the Optimum HyperCompound I carry after wetsanding and then use the Optimum Polish as the final polish.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:47 PM
connor90
4th Gear Member

well i willbe using a polisher but i havnt bought it yet...what would you reccomend to look for when shopping for a polisher?
Old 04-26-2007, 10:44 PM
Juztang
5th Gear Member

If you are experienced with polishing I highly recommend the Hitachi polisher. That is what I do when I'm going major paint correction. Do not use this if you don't have experience with a rotary, you can burn your paint up easy with this. The Optimum line of polishes work great with the rotary.

If you are a beginner with polishing I would go with the Porter Cable polisher. You can get excellent results without having to worry about burning up the paint. I have a kit that has everything needed to polish and remove swirls. It comes with the PC,backing plate,orange light cutting pad,white polishing pad, and gray finishing pad. I also have Porter Cable kits with the Poorboy's or Optimum polishes. The Poorboy's is great for a beginner to learn the correct process and you can get excellent results. The Optimum polishes are more advanced and can be worked in longer. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have anymore questions. Thanks!
Old 04-26-2007, 11:12 PM
connor90
4th Gear Member

ya this would be the my first time using a polisher. what makes the porter cable different than the hitachi?
Old 04-26-2007, 11:17 PM
Juztang
5th Gear Member

The Hitachi is a circular polisher that actually spins in a circular motion that generates a lot of heat and can damage the paint real easy if you aren't familiar with using it.

The Porter Cable is a high speed orbital that spins in an oval motion and doesn't generate a lot of heat. It takes quite a bit longer to remove swirls and scratches, but you don't have to worry about hurting your paint.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:20 PM
connor90
4th Gear Member

oh ok...thanks a bunch.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:42 PM
Juztang
5th Gear Member

No problem bud!
Old 04-27-2007, 02:39 AM
connor90
4th Gear Member

hey, just curious...how long does it take to get good with one of the circular polishers? i mean i did the paint myself and i could always test on a panel and if i mess it up i could just put a quick coat on and start over. are there any special tips if i decide to go with the circular polisher? again thanks a bunch for all of your help
Old 04-27-2007, 10:17 AM
Juztang
5th Gear Member

I don't even think you are going to need a circular polisher since you didn't put on a clear. I would start out with the Porter Cable and really get the hang of it before you move onto a circular. You have to keep the circular moving at all times so you don't hurt the paint, unlike the PC. If you are new at polished the PC is so much easier to work with and learn on.

Quick Reply: waxes and polishing compounds