Obsessive Detail Your source for premier detailing products. We carry Poorboy's World, ClearKote, Optimum, Stoner, Lake Country, and Porter Cable.

First no-rinse order: opinion

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 09:24 AM
garyd9

Default First no-rinse order: opinion

I recently ordered a bottle of the no-rinse product along with a "The Green One" wash mitt. For those looking to order something like this, I thought I'd share my experiences...

First, let me describe why I _need_ a product like this. I live in a townhouse, with no way to run a hose from my house to my car. The local "self-serve" car wash places around me all forbid water buckets and hand washing. Up until now, I've been either paying someone else to wash my car, or using the self-serve place to spray off the excess dirt, and then using a quick detailer to actually wash with.)

Delivery from Obsessive to Maryland was quick.. only took 3 days during the holidays with normal shipping. The box contained exactly what I ordered. I immediately filled a bucket with 2 gallons of warm water and drop in the required amount of no-rinse, followed by the green wash mitt... and out to the car with a drying towel.

My car wasn't incredibly dirty, though had tons of dirty water spots from all the rain we'd been seeing in Maryland over the last few days. Being my car is dark blue (vista blue), each one of those spots is very visible. It could only be worse if the car was black. So, going one panel at a time, I rinse, wipe, rinse, wipe, dry.... and it works nearly perfectly as a simple car wash.

Rather than trying to describe everything 'right' with the products, it'd be easier to assume perfection, and then describe the two flaws I found:

The no-rinse works great for water spots, dirt, dust and other "loose" dirt. However, there were a couple places on my car that had stickly stuff (no idea what it was - almost seemed like masking tape residue) that the no-rinse didn't pick up. I ended up using a quick detailer to lube those areas and rub off whatever it was. Its probably unfair to call this a flaw with the no-rinse product. I was just more comfortable with the lube properties of an oil based quick detailer than with the no-rinse for rubbing out that kind of dirt.

The only other issue I had with my order was the green washing mitt. It left pieces of itself all over my car. One of the benifits of using microfiber products is that they are supposed to be lint free. This mitt, however, shred green fibers all over my car. It got bad enough that I stopped using the wash mitt and went back to using my "plain" microfiber cloths that I buy in bulk from Costco. When done, I threw that mitt into the washing machine in hopes that it'll get the rest of the loose fibers out...If the next attempt to use it results in the same mess of green fibers, it'll be heading for the trash can.

One other thingon that no-rinse: It worked great for my waxed wheels - it did a good job getting the brake dust and other crud that sticks there.

Finally, the best part of the experience: I was able to wash my car in a parking lot with no hose, in the sun,while it was 31 degrees outside.

Would I use the no-rinse again? Oh yeah - absolutely. Weekly.

Would I use the green wash mitt again? I'm leaning against it, but will give it one chance to redeem itself. There's no sense washing the car when the process leaves bright little green pieces all over the car.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:11 AM
Juztang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: First no-rinse order: opinion

I'm glad you are happy with the No Rinse. It is an awesome products.

This is the first bad experience that I've heard with the wash mitt, I've sold a ton of these too. One thing that I recommend with all microfiber products is that you wash them before you use them. Sometimes when they are new there might be some residue which should go away right after you wash them.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:16 PM
garyd9

Default RE: First no-rinse order: opinion

Okay, the green mitt thing worked better after a washing. No more little green pieces all over the place.