Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Other > Off Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.
Sponsored by American Muscle

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 02-10-2009, 01:35 AM   #1
mattlowe01
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 93 notchback
Default History of the Mustang - Research Paper

Heres a research paper i wrote about the history of the mustang that i found on my computer while cleaning out all the ****. Feel free to read it if youd like

The Ford Mustang

When you talk about American history, one of the most exciting and revolutionary eras were the 1960s. With the Vietnam War, the moon landing, civil rights movement and the assassination of JFK, the 60s were full of commotion. One of the most looked over events of the 60’s was Ford’s introduction of the Mustang. The Ford Mustang not only revolutionized the automobile industry it also defined a generation, and era, of American History.
In 1957, the word “teenager” was added to the dictionary (Clarkson). After WWII, there was a substantial increase in the number of babies being born. By 1965, over 40% of the U.S. population will be under 20 years of age (Lacocca, Lee). This new generation was completely different from their parents. “Ford saw America was getting younger, cleverer, and richer. They saw the baby boom coming,”(Clarkson). “As the baby boom turned 18 in 1964 they were ready for the part. The beach boys brought the music, the Mexicans brought the spoken materials, Mary Quant brought the clothes, and Ford brought the car,”(Clarkson).
Ford saw the potential of this revolutionary car and launched an all out advertising campaign. They wanted to build up as much public hype as they could about the Mustang. ‘On march 11th, two days after the first production Mustang was built, young Walter Buehl Ford II, nephew of chairperson Henry Ford II, was allowed to drive an undisguised prototype convertible to a luncheon in downtown Detroit,”(Forty Years of Fun 25)The car was quickly spotted by Fred Olmsted, auto editor for the Detroit Free Press, and was soon photographed by Ray Glonka. Newsweek and other publications quickly picked up the picture and ran cover stories(Forty Years of Fun 25).
The big day was coming soon for Ford, the day the mustang would be revealed. On April 16th, Ford purchased the 9pm spot on all three TV networks. Some 29 million people watched the unveiling of the first Ford Mustang(Lacocca, Lee). On April 17th, over 2600 newspapers ran announcement ads and articles while the Mustang was revealed to the public at the New York World’s Fair. The advertising reached over 75% of American households. Twenty-four top magazines ran cover stories as well, with a circulation count of over 68 million(Lacocca, Lee). There were over 150 journalists at the event, which ford sent off in a 750 mile road trip to Motown. But this was not the end of the advertising; Ford managed to get a Mustang as the pace car for the 1964 Indy 500 and recreated over 200 of the Indy pace car to be given away in dealer-sponsored contests (Forty Years of Fun 25).
“Public reaction was beyond even Ford’s expectations, and ‘Mustang Fever’ was soon a national epidemic,”(Forty Years of Fun 25). The Mustang created such a frenzy that thousands of people were rushing to the dealerships to buy one. One trucker got so distracted by the mustang in a San Francisco showroom that he drove right through the window (Forty Years of Fun 25). A Pittsburgh dealership had one of their mustangs hoisted on a lube rack, only to find that so many people crammed into the showroom they could not get the car down until dinner time. One Chicago dealer had to lock his doors to stop the crowds from crushing the cars, and each other (Forty Years of Fun 25). Another dealer had 15 people offer to buy the same mustang, so he auctioned it off. The winning bidder insisted on sleeping inside the car until his check cleared. Ford originally aimed to sell 100,000 in the first production run, but they sold 100,000 in the first 4 months (Forty Years of Fun 25). By mid-September, 1965, Ford has sold 680,989 mustangs only a few months later, they had sold their one-millionth Mustang in a total of 17 months (Lamas, Jonathan). It was the most successful vehicle launch in history, and still holds the record for most cars sold in one year, a record that has never been broken(Clarkson).
The Ford Mustang was also the first vehicle to offer what we call today an options list(Clarkson). This made the car configurable for all types of people, slow to fast, basic to stylish, there were hundreds of variations of the Ford Mustang. There were three base models: the coupe, the convertible and the fastback. From there, you had options to change everything from the wheels, dash, engine size, body style, differential, windows, down to mechanically assisted seat-belts and warning lights (Clarkson). This made the car customizable for just about everyone; “Yes, It was for your father, but with 4 seats it was for your mother, and with a price tag of $2,300 it was for your sister too. There was even a version for your delinquent drag racing brother,”(Clarkson). Ford also offered many limited edition models such as the GT350, GT500, GT500KR, Cobra, March and the Boss 302/429. These versions were aimed at the high performance crowd, offering mind blowing performance for the race tracks. These cars were the “Kings of the Road,” hence the “KR” tag on the GT500KR (Ford Mustang).
You didn't even have to buy one of the high performance Mustangs; one could hop on down to your local Hertz dealer and rent one. For 17 dollars a day and 7 cents a mile, one could drive your very own GT350H. These cars became known as the infamous Rent-A-Racer. This hold true even today, one can still head on over to your local hertz dealer and rent a ford GT500, the high performance model of today’s Mustang (Clarkson).
The 1960s introduced the muscle car and hot rod era. Along with the fast cars came ‘car hops,’ a popular hangout spot to show off your ride, as well as drag racing. Car hops became a haven for fast cars, sport cars, and muscle cars, the perfect place to show off (Clarkson).
The success of the ford mustang caught the attention of other car manufactures such as Chevrolet, Dodge and Pontiac. Soon, every car manufacturer was producing muscle cars. Chevy released the Camaro, Pontiac released the Firebird, dodge released the Challenger, Mercury released the Cougar and AMC created the Javelin (Pony Cars).These cars became known as “pony-cars,” a tribute to the car that started it all, the ford mustang. The requirements of a pony car were attractive sporty styling, affordable base price, extensive options including a six and an eight-cylinder engine and aggressive youth-orientated marketing and advertising (Pony Cars). The muscle cars and pony cars were known for their “long hood-short deck,” with a large engine bay for the motor and the seats near the back axle. Soon, car hops and roads would be saturated with these loud, fast, cars. These cars were used as status symbols, almost on the same level as cell phones and gadgets are today. If you were cool, you drove a muscle car. This idea was pushed by aggressive advertising towards teens and young adults.
Classic rare Mustangs are worth a pretty penny today with so few still in existence. Some of our greatest celebrities are proud classic Mustang owners. These include Jay Leno, Tim Allen and Patrick Dempsey (Lamas, Jonathan). Not only do celebrities own Mustangs, but Mustangs have been featured in countless films since it was created. These include Bullit, Gone in Sixty-Seconds and is even the star vehicle in the new remake of a series, Knight Rider (Mustang in Movies)
In fact, the Mustang chase scene through the streets of San Francisco of Bullit is considered the best car chase scene in any film. “What made it stand out for me, is that unlike any other car chase, there was no music to enhance the action. Apparently the director heard the noise these engines made and thought, ‘that’ll due’,”(Clarkson).
Even today, the Ford Mustang lives on as the only pony car to be in continuous production since its release, 44 years ago (Classic Mustangs) It still remains as the most affordable sports car in its class and still has countless customizing options whether factory or after-market. There are thousands of Mustang clubs and hundreds of thousands of members and over 500,000 hits on Google for “Ford Mustang.” It is truly a historical car, owning a Mustang is more than just owning a vehicle, its being part of a long lasting heritage. “Greatest car ever? Well, it has changed the world, mobilized a generation, redirected the way we thought about cars and sounded like God, shouting. So I should say so, yeah,”(Clarkson).
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

mattlowe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:46 AM   #2
Rdot9
DubStep Stu

Send a message via AIM to Rdot9

thats a short paper... *goes to read it*

-Ryan-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margarita Girl View Post
Better spit instead of swallow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlistr_07RR View Post
He asked if I was ghey, I told him yes, I suck his dad off every night while his mom watches.
http://asudubstep.com/
Rdot9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:52 AM   #3
steelybuns
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1998 Mustang SVT Cobra

nice. I like it.

1998 Mustang Cobra 'Vert
K&N CAI
O/R H Pipe
Dynomax Ultra Flo catback
King Cobra clutch
steelybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:53 AM   #4
Rdot9
DubStep Stu

Send a message via AIM to Rdot9

nice paper though

-Ryan-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margarita Girl View Post
Better spit instead of swallow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlistr_07RR View Post
He asked if I was ghey, I told him yes, I suck his dad off every night while his mom watches.
http://asudubstep.com/
Rdot9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:20 AM   #5
mattlowe01
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 93 notchback

You know, its nice to drive something with so much history behind it. Its amazing what ford was able to do with it. It gives another aspect to driving.

Or, in the words of my mom when i handed her the keys to her 91 LX notch.

(Pointing to the pony on the dash)"Its kinda cool to be driving something around with that on it"

mattlowe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:55 AM   #6
cominus
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1999 Ford Mustang

Im stealing this shyt.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:23 AM   #7
Hlistr_07RR
I always jizz first

Vehicle: 2001, SVT, Cobra

*Copy paste* save as, print, take to teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07BLACKGT View Post
Hell, I got slammed up the poopar at 40-45 mph
Hlistr_07RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:41 AM   #8
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Vehicle: 1967 Fastback & 2002 GT Convertible

Click the image to open in full size.

Governments are extremely dangerous.
Death, imprisonment, theft of property
and loss of freedom will result from
giving them too much power.
fastbackford351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:26 AM   #9
fast65
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2004 STi, 1965 Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to fast65 Send a message via Yahoo to fast65

Nice job on the paper. I remember when I wrote my research paper on the Mustang, I used a lot of quotes Jeremy Clarkson as well lol.

'65 Mustang GT-stroker 347 w/Toploader 4-speed
'84 SVO-2.3T at 17 psi
'04 WRB STi
"Dead is dead, it's pretty clear cut"
"Yeah, until we show up with drugs and jumper cables and argue about it!"
fast65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:15 AM   #10
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Vehicle: 1965, ford, mustang fastback
Send a message via AIM to rmodel65 Send a message via MSN to rmodel65 Send a message via Yahoo to rmodel65

what grade did you get?
rmodel65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:15 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
cumface, ford, free, history, musangs, mustang, mustangs, paper, papers, research