Go Back   MustangForums.com > Other > Off Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.
Sponsored by American Muscle

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Has Ford lost there minds?

Old 04-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #41
4LiterSonic
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Sonic Blue V6
Remember Reach

Quote:
Originally Posted by danman0469 View Post
Ford is not making money on the brembo package on the 2012's. No way. The whole package (brembos, 19's, upgraded suspension) is 1700 dollars. Go to tire rack and look at the cost of one Pirelli pzero in 255/40/19. Like $360 a pop.
I doubt Ford buys their tires from Tirerack.com

You're looking at at prices that are marked up for retail.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
It's like building a howitzer that also shoots BBs just so you can use it around the house.
4LiterSonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #42
Hinojosa
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Ford Mustang GT Convertible

mustangs have always been expensive in mexico, i have a 08 gt convertible, back in 08 the sticker on this car was 650,000 mexican pesos (~55k) and its always been this way
Hinojosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #43
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ford Mustang V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt93style View Post
Look, I love Mustangs but for goodness sake Ford has lost there f'ing minds.

I have be browsing the new mustangs at dealers (maybe its my area..bit upscale) and I am flabbergasted at the stickers on these things...who the hell is going to drop $40k + on a mustang? I mean no disrespect but come on! Seriously...in the mist of a recession at that, but even still...I would never even though I have the means.

I really think they have forgotten there target market.

What's funny in the end, they got me by the ***** cause I still want
one.

I thought I would never get a brand new car. When the 2005's came out I wanted one in the worse way, however there was no way I could afford it. I had a very good paying job but my credit sucked. I was convinced that thats the way it was and i accepted it. However I never gave up repairing my credit and it does take time. As long as you dont screw up, pay bills on time, build up your good credit time is your friend.
well after chasing that carrot on a stick in front of me I finally was able to obtain the credit and I GOT MY CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hang in there and keep working on it and it will happen.
CaptainRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #44
Art161
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Mustang GT

While most of the members here are performance oriented, I don't think that's Mustang's target market. If Ford had to rely on the 5.0 for total sales, we probably wouldn't have Mustangs on the market at all. We only have the 5.0 available because of all the V-6 sales. That said, I do think there would be a market for a lesser powered V-8. That's the way it used to be--several choices if you wanted a V-8. I haven't checked, but in addition to the cost of the car, insurance has probably also gone up on a car with an engine rated at over 400 hp.
Rear Spoiler Delete
Interior Sport Appearance Package
MGW EJECT Power Point Plug

If you pursue perfection, you will never attain your goal. You may, however, achieve excellence.
Art161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #45
Hinojosa
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Ford Mustang GT Convertible

i think they cant continue pushing the price so much unless bmw and audi push their prices too, a stock mustang up there with an M3? most people would go for the M3
Hinojosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #46
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 Kona Blue GT Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art161 View Post
I haven't checked, but in addition to the cost of the car, insurance has probably also gone up on a car with an engine rated at over 400 hp.
My insurance went up $9/mo when I traded in my 2005 GT for my 2012 GT, keeping my deductibles at $250 for collision and comprehensive. Not bad IMO, but I also have USAA.

Don

BigDinTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #47
SD 197
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 05' GT Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace View Post
Wow, some incredibly bad information floating around...

wcgman - Nothing personal... but the thread isn't about finding a decent paying job. It's about how Ford justifies their jacked-up prices and putting the Mustang V8 out of reach for the every day man; what made it a popular choice in the first place. The S197 launched and was made available in GT format for around $25k. That was 7 years ago and Ford for the most part is still using the same design and everything with a little tweak here or there, so they've already made their return on investment and are milking it for everything they can (and more so with the increased prices).

SD 197 - Options sold at cost? I highly doubt Ford is going around buying stuff at cost. The brembo kit is costing Ford probably less than 1/4 of the price they are selling it for. That is business.

jthorn9 - Lastly... your breakdown is pointless. You don't have to go way back to 95 to compare and justify what ford has done. All you simply have to go back to is 2004. Introduction of the S197. Sure, there are a few more bells and whistles, which are OPTIONS. Though how do you justify the $25k '05 to the $35k '13 in your post? The new engine? Transmission? Oh... because I forgot... new parts means the old parts equate to nothing? The new engine and transmission can be had for around the same as the old engine and transmission, so in reality we're still at the $25k mark. So help make up for that $10k.
That's what the Ford executive said about the track pack / Brembo pack, Ford offers them at cost. Could he have been exaggerating, of course, but that's the word on it.

As for your $25,000 price vs. $35,000 with a $10K Mark Up is not exactly correct. You are not comparing apples to apples here.

The base price for a 2005 GT was $25,000, but the base price for a 2013 GT is $31,000.

The Mark Up is about $6,000, which after 8 years, additional 120 hp (for GT), improved standard options and interior, seems fair to be honest. Hard to point out many cars that goes though almost a decade of production without price increases, either by equipment or just inflation forces.

You can pick-up a 2012 base GT ($30,000 MSRP) for about $26,000 with discounts right now.

Last edited by SD 197; 04-08-2012 at 07:03 PM.
SD 197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #48
JimC

Vehicle: 2013 MCA convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinojosa View Post
i think they cant continue pushing the price so much unless bmw and audi push their prices too, a stock mustang up there with an M3?

most people

would go for the M3
I think you may be wrong there - the Mustang has the biggest following of any car and most of us who are fans of the Mustang (and have been since seeing the first one in 1965) would NOT opt for the BMW. Different things completely and appealing to different markets; the Audi and BMW isn't competing for the Mustang market.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #49
tomkay
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Ford Mustang Shelby CS8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinojosa View Post
i think they cant continue pushing the price so much unless bmw and audi push their prices too, a stock mustang up there with an M3? most people would go for the M3
An M3 for 40K, tell me where! They average 60K.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #50
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by danman0469 View Post
Ford is not making money on the brembo package on the 2012's. No way. The whole package (brembos, 19's, upgraded suspension) is 1700 dollars. Go to tire rack and look at the cost of one Pirelli pzero in 255/40/19. Like $360 a pop.
You realize the Brembo package is above the cost of the standard wheels and tires that come on the car. When you get this package, you don't get the standard wheels/tires to take home... LOL

08 GT Premium, Manual, 3.55s, HIDs, IUP, Premeir Trim, Amb Light
Appearance: HID Fogs, Smoked Fogs & Signals, 14" Ant, Black Mirror Caps, Sequentials, GT500 Spoiler & Rear Bumper
Steeda: UDPs, CMDPs, HD Motor Mounts, HD Strut Mounts, Tri-Ax Shifter, Alum DS, Billet LCAs, CAI w/CF Elbow
Other: Detroit Rockers, JBA Shorty Headers, Catch Can, Flow ATs, Koni STR.Ts, GT500 18" F/19" R Wheels, Brenspeed 93 Tune, Ethanol-Free Gas
jdmcbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #51
Art161
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinTexas View Post
My insurance went up $9/mo when I traded in my 2005 GT for my 2012 GT, keeping my deductibles at $250 for collision and comprehensive. Not bad IMO, but I also have USAA.

Don
That's fantastic. My insurance on the 2007 GT keeps going up, even with no tickets and no at-fault accidents. I guess it's the cost of repair. Somebody hit the front bumper cover while my car was parked and the cost of repair (not a new bumper cover) was $760.03, which should be recovered from the guy who hit my car. I think that's a reasonable cost for a quality job these days. I don't qualify for USAA.
Rear Spoiler Delete

If you pursue perfection, you will never attain your goal. You may, however, achieve excellence.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #52
danman0469
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 12, ford, mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcbride View Post
You realize the Brembo package is above the cost of the standard wheels and tires that come on the car. When you get this package, you don't get the standard wheels/tires to take home... LOL
Absolutely, it is above the price of standard wheels and tires. But ford still has to pay for the 19" wheels and tires. Even if theyre not paying retail prices, im still certain theyre not making money on this package.. but thats beside the point of the this thread. No matter which way you slice it, the mustang is still probably the biggest performance bargain you can buy.. Even at 40 thousand dollars.
Eiback pro-kit springs
danman0469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #53
nj07
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 ford mustang gt

Prices are crazy we are crazy for paying them and anybody paying those prices you might as well buy a used gt500 and have a better car to start with and mod that or mod your 05-09 or hell your 2010 too! 35,000+ for a new gt even 31,000 for a base gt with no leather and black plastic all over inside anybody buying these cars new your all a bunch of suckers to spend money to buy and then put more into it! Once again I drove the 5.0 no big deal and maybe untill they bring out a new model all together maybe I might think twice about it or just by a used gt500!
Bbk cai, steeda udp's, bmr lower control arms, bmr panhard bar, set of roush springs, cmdp's, strut tower brace, nitto 255's out back, 5%tint all around, sequantial tail lights, minor int. mods., custom 93 tune, 4:10 gears, tci rachet shifter, o/r pro chamber, mac boomtubes, 6" shorty ant., shelby hood pins, hood struts, Updated brakes on all four wheels, cdc classic chin spoiler, eibach camber plates, smoked front turn signals.
nj07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #54
danman0469
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 12, ford, mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj07 View Post
Prices are crazy we are crazy for paying them and anybody paying those prices you might as well buy a used gt500 and have a better car to start with and mod that or mod your 05-09 or hell your 2010 too! 35,000+ for a new gt even 31,000 for a base gt with no leather and black plastic all over inside anybody buying these cars new your all a bunch of suckers to spend money to buy and then put more into it! Once again I drove the 5.0 no big deal and maybe untill they bring out a new model all together maybe I might think twice about it or just by a used gt500!
Youre kidding right?? The 11 or 12 base gt is as fast or faster than the previous model gt500. Oh, and i paid 31.5k for a gt premium with the brembo pack.
Eiback pro-kit springs
danman0469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:08 PM   #55
Shift
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2014 Shelby GT500
Dusk1 livesleepshift

The prices seem to get more and more ridiculous. I don't know about older Mustangs but I hope they hold well. In 2010 I got my 2008 GT for 27k at 11k miles but it had over 380 rwhp, was loaded with mods, and was a premium base. Might sell it in a few years for a better Daily Driver when I graduate from College, but I cant really fathom doing so. Love Mustangs though so I don't know what I'm going to do, especially with prices all the fun American Cars are headed towards. I.e. Mustang, Chargers etc.

Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:13 AM   #56
svt93style
2nd Gear Member

I seem to have been unclear in my post and some are under the impression that the motivation for the the post was that I can not afford the car. I don't mean to toot my own horn but I could right a check for the car if need be, but thats not the point.

Point is for a Mustang its just getting out of control.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:58 AM   #57
boomee
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: somthing new
not on XBL anymore doberman1978

alot of cars are like that they go threw there in demand and no so indemand times just be paitient wait for prices to be more resonable it sounds like you have the time and the money. or better yet wait till a used one or certified preowned one.
Proverbs 27:17,Galations 6:7-10 PSN-doberman1978
boomee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:19 AM   #58
S197 650
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium

Inflation:

a 1995 Mustang 5.0 retailed at $18,105
a 2013 Mustang 5.0 retails at $30,595

According to this inflation calculator, $18105 back then has the same buying power as $27046 today.

I think the $3K difference is worth it (+170hp, better gas mileage, safer, better features)
Old 04-09-2012, 02:45 AM   #59
Art161
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S197 650 View Post
Inflation:

a 1995 Mustang 5.0 retailed at $18,105
a 2013 Mustang 5.0 retails at $30,595

According to this inflation calculator, $18105 back then has the same buying power as $27046 today.

I think the $3K difference is worth it (+170hp, better gas mileage, safer, better features)
Well, more features anyway. I don't know the current differences between the base 5.0 and the premium 5.0. A couple of years ago, I was looking at the differences on Ford's website. In order to get a power driver's seat or leather, for example, you had to get the premium. These were not available as options on the base. The premium included all kinds of stuff as standard that I really don't want, such as SYNC and MY FORD TOUCH. I was in my dealer's waiting room a few weeks ago, reading an article in Motor Trend. Ford's CEO was quoted as saying something to the effect that Ford is not an automobile company; it is a technology company. Indeed, some of the Ford commercials on TV say that driving a Ford is like driving a computer.
Rear Spoiler Delete

Old 04-09-2012, 07:09 AM   #60
Menace
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang GT

If anyone has ever worked in retail you will know how much products are generally made for/sold for. There is ALWAYS a large margin of profit. That $3 dollar socket probably cost $.05 to make. That $300 tire probably cost $10 or less to make. Your $25 hat cost $.25 cent to make. Of course these prices are exaggerated but in some cases they are even more astronomical. This whole beef on inflation is rather crazy. The point I was trying to make (and why I disagree with trying to compare 1990ish Mustangs to Today) is that Ford is for the most part still using the same equipment and tooling as they did on the 2005+ mustang. Which means very little change to the manufacturing of the item. So for the past 7 years they have been just pushing buttons and popping out parts with very little change. It's not costing them a dime other than materials, where as when something new comes along and they have to retool everything (costing them money) so for the past years they have been just milking it for all they can get.

Also,... back on the 2005 vs 2013. If we go by retail the 3v + Transmission... Probably around $9k. The 5.0 + Transmission retail is probably around $9-10k. I use this as comparison because people frequently say "You're getting more power for the price." But it's the nearly the exact same costs for both platforms which is where I cannot see the hike in prices. My 2006 GT Premium with the Gears option, IUP, Anti-theft, Shaker 1000, Wheel options, etc was MSRP'd around $29,000. Just the 2013 with IUP, Shaker 1000 alone is = $37,500. Call it inflation if you want, but those are some crazy inflation numbers.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:09 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2013, 2015, ass, at, bad, cost, craigslist, gallon, gt, miles, mustang, nh, nhcraigslist, premium, sticker, v6