Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Other > Off Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.
Sponsored by American Muscle

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 05-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #11
Entaille
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 Mustang GT

I had a 2ss/rs with pretty much every option you can get.

I don't know - I had more confidence in the engine and transmission - not that I've had issues with the stang, the LS and tremec are just much more proven atm. I also miss having that 'complete' big brake 'look' from the Brembos on the Camaro. damn floating rear calipers. I miss the halos in the headlights

all in all - very minimal things to miss, the Mustang is the car I should have bought the first time around. unfortunately, when I first test drove one in 2010, I didn't check out the premium interior and honestly dismissed the car due to the base interior. it felt like a ford Taurus inside.. bad color/quality combination.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Entaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:17 AM   #12
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: Guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entaille View Post
I had a 2ss/rs with pretty much every option you can get.

I don't know - I had more confidence in the engine and transmission - not that I've had issues with the stang, the LS and tremec are just much more proven atm. I also miss having that 'complete' big brake 'look' from the Brembos on the Camaro. damn floating rear calipers. I miss the halos in the headlights

all in all - very minimal things to miss, the Mustang is the car I should have bought the first time around.
Those would be the only things I would miss too. I've been in/around them a good bit. The drivetrains do seem very solid (I like the 5.0 better.. the 6.2 just feels like an indestructible tank).. and I hate the mustang's floating rear calipers as much as you do.

The headlights are maddddd sick on the maro. I'm jelly of them everytime I see the half halo things on. Looks aggressive as all get out.

However the interior really blows a bag of dicks in comparison to a premium mustang interior. The options on the Camaro are just not there either..
Old 05-22-2012, 07:09 AM   #13
danman0469
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 12, ford, mustang

Test drove a 2012 2ss before i bought the stang... I was scared pulling out of the dealer lot because of the horrid visibilty. Even with 426 hp, the thing felt sluggish, especially compared to the stang. When i test drove the stang, it seemed to beg me to drive it hard from the time i fired it up.. didnt get that from the camaro. The interior in a premium mustang is head and shoulders above a camaro. I think youll be a happy camper going from a camaro to a mustang.
Eiback pro-kit springs
danman0469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #14
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Ford Mustang GT
Shelty429
Send a message via AIM to Shelty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristoff View Post
I didn't have a 2SS, but I did just trade in my 2011 2LT (V6) Camaro for a 2013 GT / premium with the California Special and comfort packages.

I can't make comparisons about the power, as it would be unfair to even put the two in the same catagory, but Here is a little assessment of the differences.

The Camaro is a large car, but inside you feel pretty confined. Between the large pillars, short chopped windows, and raked front and back glass - you really feel boxed in.

The Camaro tends to drive like a tank. In the world of retro and nastalga, that is OK, but you kind of feel like you are stepping down in quality - even if you really are not. You feel EVERY pound that the car has, but the very low center of gravity and wide stance did make it feel very stable at highway speeds.

You felt EVERY pebble or crack in the pavement in the camaro. With the huge, low profile 20" wheels/tires the car was tough as a daily driver.

I've only had the Mustang for 5 days, but I have not one single regret or wish for anything that the Camaro had that the Mustang does not.

That being said, two things on the Mustang did surprise me a bit.

1. It has a CRAZY small gas tank at 16 gallons
2. I was very surprised that it still has an antenna.

Neither one even gave me a slight pause, but did surprise me a bit.

16 gallon tank is small? since when? its not a truck... despite being as high as one stock...

1966 Chevy Bel Air wagon. 700r4, hedman hedders, and other stuff

2004 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor.-company car with 1/4 million miles on the clock

'91 5.0 5-speed-- sold :-(
Shelty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #15
Hamidar05
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ford Mustang GT

I had a 2010 1SS. After owning it about a year, with the payment and cost for mods, I knew it was not the car for me.

I loved the look, but the more I had it up on jack stands the less I liked it. Not to mention it was heavy and cornered like a pig, really bad understeer. Yes the interior was nice and roomy, so going from that to an S197 could be a jump. My feeling is the mustang wraps around me and I am an integral piece to it. The Maro, I felt like I was along for the ride, kind of a like a turd in the seat.

I live in Denver and the power was less than impressive for a rating of just over 400 HP. I test drove a new 5.0L and the 4.6L mustang and while there is less power, it really didn't feel like much less, and I feel the same way about going from the 5.0L to the 4.6L in terms of felt power.

In any case, I got my '09 and have had the opportunity to start mods and have been exceptionally pleased with the cost effectiveness and the performance it has given me. With a 4.10 gear I might pay $600 for installed, I am pretty sure no stock Camaro SS could compete through 120 MPH. Double or even triple that to mod a Camaro rear diff and then you have to hope the pinion does not shred.... The 1LE might be interesting, but again, it will be a heavy pig. If Chevy goes to the Alpha chassis and lightens the car with the same power plant, things could get interesting.

Until I either have a lot of money to blow or GM gets out of hock and makes a lighter chassis with similar power, the S197 is the car for me.
2009 GT Alloy Ext / Blk Ltr Int - DG Qtr Louvers, Koni STR.T Struts/Shocks, Steeda Boss Springs, GT500 Strut Mounts (notches to the engine), Hurst Billet Pro Plus with Brushed Al T-Handle, Enkei PF01 18x9.5" +35 mm offset, Conti ContiSport 3 275x45x18", JLT S3 w/BBR 91 Oct Tune, AM Raxiom Smoked Coyote Tail lights with LMR sequential turn signal harness, LMR smoked bumper park lights.
Hamidar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #16
Hamidar05
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmat2407 View Post
Please don't make us mustang owners look like ignorant fools. Clearly you have NEVER drove a new SS if you think your 2009 v6 vert has ANY "get up and go" compared to the camaro.

Oh and btw, SS coupe- 3,750 lb , v6 vert- 3,555 lb . 200 lbs is hardly considered massive and heavy considering the extra 200 hp it has on ya
Jmat, just did a quick search and the 1SS manual has a curb weight of 3860, then the AT model is 3913... so 300-400 lbs is significant. If you start talking in lbs/HP, the camaro has 9lbs/hp, a newer V6 or 4.6L around 3500 lbs is about 11 lbs/hp, so yes the camaro has an advantage, however the tire size and gearing is where difference is in "felt power", often referred to as the "butt dyno".. A mustang with 18" wheels and 3.73 gears will end up even closer in perceived power compared to a 20" wheel and 3.45 gears in a typical SS.

I recall my 2010 1SS bogged really bad at my altitude >5000' asl, therefor it felt very sluggish and with the right setup, a S197 V6 could give it a run for a short bit. There is a lot more to it than just the engine/mass, and there is always a ton of injected opinion in comps because we're not all rocket scientists understanding all of the engineering from the pedal to the pavement. I know I don't.

It always makes for good friendly arguments though!

In any case, I think our OP would do well to dump the Camaro until the switch the chassis if it is for performance reasons.

My additional 2 cents.
2009 GT Alloy Ext / Blk Ltr Int - DG Qtr Louvers, Koni STR.T Struts/Shocks, Steeda Boss Springs, GT500 Strut Mounts (notches to the engine), Hurst Billet Pro Plus with Brushed Al T-Handle, Enkei PF01 18x9.5" +35 mm offset, Conti ContiSport 3 275x45x18", JLT S3 w/BBR 91 Oct Tune, AM Raxiom Smoked Coyote Tail lights with LMR sequential turn signal harness, LMR smoked bumper park lights.
Hamidar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:32 PM   #17
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Vehicle: 1965, ford, mustang fastback
Send a message via AIM to rmodel65 Send a message via MSN to rmodel65 Send a message via Yahoo to rmodel65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelty View Post
16 gallon tank is small? since when? its not a truck... despite being as high as one stock...

my tacoma has a 15 gallon tank iirc :P
rmodel65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:15 AM   #18
302army187
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 GT Premium 1989 lx 'vert

S197 tek?

ITT I don't care

1989 - Junkyard 302, Trickflow heads/cam, typhoon intake, V2 Sq Si-trim blower, and other stuff's.

www.youtube.com/Xarmy187

Please support my YouTube channel! My videos don't disappoint!
302army187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #19
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Vehicle: 2012 5.0 premuim

yeah i was going to say, a lot of people quote the 3750 curb weight but that is the 2010 camaro v6 weight, the SS weighs 3860 manual and 3913 automatic... which is one of the reasons the 5.0 is faster with less peak power, being about 300lbs lighter, that and where/how the engines make power and gearing.

The 5.0 is superior in every respect, except for looks.. subjective, but I think the new camaro looks better than the new mustang, also the new mustang looks so much like other mustangs a lot of people don't know the difference between a 1999 and a 2012. side by side they see the difference, but just driving around my dad saw a red new edge and said it looked just like my old mustang (a 2007).

Automatic, Steeda CAI, 4.10 gears, Boss Intake, BBR O/R X, Steeda Tune, M&H Drag Radials.
12.6@112mph (DA corrected 11.7@119mph)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpOnFire View Post
mishri created the universe

Last edited by Mishri; 07-02-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Mishri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:53 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2012, 2013, california, camaro, dont, gt, mustang, special, ss, trade, v6