Go Back   MustangForums.com > Other > Off Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.
Sponsored by American Muscle

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 02-28-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
simpsonfan13
ELEKTRO-FIDE Moderator

Vehicle: .
Default Lowering bills

So were starting to feel the economic squeeze (THANKS, BUSH!) and Im about to take a hammer to my head. I can't seem to find a way to lower our bills.
Mortgage is $800/month. This is set in stone. Refinancing is NOT worth it at this moment.

Phone/TV/Intewebs is $160 and is going up by $7 dollars next month to rent out the ****ing modem. the problem here is that there is only one company in town for cable. They have a complete monopoly. Neither FIOS nor UVERSE is available and if I try to get rid of our premium channels the bundle falls apart and the grand total goes up. Seriously, **** bright house in the *** with the broad side of a rusty rake. ****ing thieves rail-road people by not gicing them any options.

Natural Gas/Electricity. Trying to conserve as much as possible, but again only have ONE choice for both.

Insurance is $130 a month for full coverage on the Ram and 5.0. And like Bright House, All Sate said that if we lower coverage on one vehicle they would raise the premium on the other. Im working on lowering this one and with any lucky by next month it should be down to about $86 with the Hartford (since my dad qualifies for AARP, rates are lowered.)

Cell phones. $86/month for two basic phones with unlimited text through Verizon. I tried Sprint and At&t and they're more expensive. Im looking at T-Mobile next but I need solid coverage and I hear they're kinda weak in that respect. I ain't got no need for 3g or any smartphone silliness. aint nobody got time for that.

GAS. The ****ing Hemi is raping me. 14 mpg city. And I do 90% city driving. Lately it's been slipping beneath 14mpg and thats with a tune up done less than a week ago. The 5.0 is no better. Im trying to sell both but people aren't buying. I've had ZERO calls on them. People here want to buy dirt-cheap and sell STUPIDLY high. Even when their 170K mi POS is a salvage title, they still ask over blue book. And about 50% of the cars here are salvage titles. No lie. Im thinking of trying to trade the 5.0 for an MPG car. Maybe an older 3.0 Accord or the like?

The rest goes to food. IDK WTF to do. Any ideas? Neither my parents can work and Im having a hell of time finding a higher paying job. The job market is dry here. I think it's time to get the hell outta dodge.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
simpsonfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
Joolander
Lord High Protector

Vehicle: 2007 Mustang GT/CS
Joolander

do you have more than one tv on with a box?

do you need more than one?

also, its hard to sell/buy cars in space. perhaps you should move back to earth

Joolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
simpsonfan13
ELEKTRO-FIDE Moderator

Vehicle: .

i'll destroy you, and they wont find the body.

im essentially in bakersfield. and i have two boxes on HD and one in my room to get any channel worth a damn. (anything except local basically) but again if i dump HD BOOM! rate increase, if i dump my non-hd box BOOM rate increase! not as much as as having the boxes/HD but to the point were we're only saving like $5/month.
simpsonfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
Joolander
Lord High Protector

Vehicle: 2007 Mustang GT/CS
Joolander

your second non-HD one is in the bundle? because if that were the case thats seriously messed up. you should check again with the service provider (i know brighthouse sucks to deal with, but its your only option)

Joolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:54 PM   #5
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: a car

Get rid of that cable package all together, Shop around for internet. You can find ISP with decent speeds on the cheap now a days.

Now You sound like you have the nationwide talk and text plan on Verizon ( My employer ), You can add Home phone connect for 19.99 a month on a 2 year contract special. You share your cellular minutes but utilize your Mobile to mobile, Nights and weekends and Friends/Family then your minutes should be fine specially with two basic phones.

Use Netflix and Hulu online streaming, I cut cable a year ago and now save $100 bucks a month by spending $14 for both services... never regretted it once since I stream sports events and cable shows like Game of thrones and Dexter for free online.

As far as the vehicle situation I recommend trading in on a small gas sipping car, I traded my truck in for a Camry. my payment stayed the same but I now save over $300 a month on gas alone.

As for the Job situation just work a crappy part time job, Every penny counts. I was making 45k a year but still netting an extra 8k for 3 months in the summer mowing lawns 1 day a week. You just have to think outside the box these days when it comes to financial situations, but anyways good luck and I hope your situation turns around for ya.
Mr Graystang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:54 PM   #6
SKAR

Vehicle: 90' Miata, 50' F47, 88' Notch

Cancel cable, keep interweb. Get netflix for what its worth and legally download the rest via torrents....

Be smarter about buying food.

Do you NEED the truck? It can be justified having it if its something you want either way but it sounds like you could save quite a bit of money.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:54 PM   #7
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: Yes
SyNdicateZ

Have some kids n go on welfare. Then buy a new BMW.

02 GT 5spd. 4.10 Geared, Accufab Plenum/70mm TB, K&N intake, Steeda Pullies, SLP Line-Lok, Flowmaster super 44 Catback, MAC Hi-Flo catted H-Pipe, Custom Dyno tuned W/ SCT Eliminator Chip,by Performance-Dyno.com Loudon, NH. Many other misc stuff not listed..
SyNdicateZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:58 PM   #8
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyNdicateZ View Post
Have some kids n go on welfare. Then buy a new BMW.
Or Escaldadadas ! Cadillacs for da win.
Mr Graystang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #9
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: Yes
SyNdicateZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Graystang View Post
Or Escaldadadas ! Cadillacs for da win.
Ya. N give it some 24" spinnahz

02 GT 5spd. 4.10 Geared, Accufab Plenum/70mm TB, K&N intake, Steeda Pullies, SLP Line-Lok, Flowmaster super 44 Catback, MAC Hi-Flo catted H-Pipe, Custom Dyno tuned W/ SCT Eliminator Chip,by Performance-Dyno.com Loudon, NH. Many other misc stuff not listed..
SyNdicateZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:16 PM   #10
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

Vehicle: 92 Geo Metro

Your insurance seems really high. Try esurance.com, and pay a little under $1100 a year, and almost every car I've looked at is cheaper than a mustang to insure. I've never had to file for anything so I can't tell you whether or not they're dicks. Spend time and really look at what you're paying for, and do your homework to figure out if you really want to pay for it. If you're a decent driver, you probably don't need to pay for 100's of thousands of dollars. Insurance is bull**** run by bull****ters. I bet you could save a couple hundred a month.

Cancel cable... get netflix or something.

What's your 5.0 like and how much will it cost me to make it fast and street legal? How far above my bathroom are you?

GO BEERS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoward View Post
Or anus

Last edited by redass02gt; 02-28-2013 at 11:19 PM.
redass02gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:16 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement