Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Other > Off Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.
Sponsored by American Muscle

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 01-23-2014, 09:43 PM   #1
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 4.0
Wade Angel MadStang40
Default Re-introduction and a super duper mega gigantic critical question

I haven't posted to these boards in over a year and a half and a lot has happened since then, mainly college graduation over a year ago and newly engaged, both of which has had some pretty serious impacts to my bank account for the better and for the worst.

I/m now sitting here and contemplating my next vehicle and have been doing such for the past 6 months and I'm looking for genuine opinions from a board I've come to trust (and I'm not posting this in OT to get way off track from my main purpose). I know I've come to a mustang board asking for next vehicle advice and I know that in the end, I have to determine what's best for me, but I'm genuinely looking for viewpoints I have not considered yet.

I'm trying to decide between a 2011+ (maybe even a 2015 if I save long enough) F-150 supercrew 4x4 and a 2011-2014 5.0.

Reasoning for the F-150 - I'm getting more into hunting and hope to soon own a dog within the next 3 years (between a lab and golden retriever). This would be the perfect vehicle for hunting and a future family and plan on keeping the truck for 10 years or until it falls apart at the seams. I want to start having kids by the time I'm 30 (about 6 years away) and a mustang is no vehicle to strap a newborn into in logistics and safety perspectives.

Reasoning for the 5.0 - I'm almost 24 years old and will be young only once and for so long. I have a passion for mustangs (bordering unhealthy) and I don't want to see that being ruined by kids and then put on the afterburners until I'm damn near retirement. My dad lives 1.5 hours away in Tampa and we've always hunted together and he owns a 2010 supercew lariat. I'm not considering the 2015 because of cost and because I much rather have an SRA since I have no intention of autoXing the car. The SRA and off-the-line speed of the late S197s are more than enough for me (until the mod bug bites of course).

So, what are your opinions? Target the 5.0 or the F150? And yes, I've test-driven them both within the past 6 months.

Thanks all.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

2007 5spd Vista Blue 4.0L

93R tune/ Steeda CAI/ true dual conversion w/ Flowmasters/ Pypes shorties/
Tokico HP series dampers/ Eibach pro springs/ 18x9 and 18x10 AM GT500 wheels/
255/40/18 and 275/40/18 Nitto NT555s

My compilation video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FClEtojW-9I
Walk around and rev: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyrqvJN2T3Y
MadStang40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:55 PM   #2
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadStang40 View Post

Reasoning for the 5.0 - I'm almost 24 years old and will be young only once and for so long. I have a passion for mustangs (bordering unhealthy) and I don't want to see that being ruined by kids and then put on the afterburners until I'm damn near retirement. ... etc ...
Easy one here .... you should end the engagement and forget about kids, you aren't near ready for either and they (wife and kids) will only suffer because they will "ruin" your "Mustanging" (your "passion") as to do justice to them, they will have to be elevated as your real passion.

You should just get the Mustang and play ..... IMHO

Last edited by tbear853; 01-23-2014 at 09:58 PM.
tbear853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:21 PM   #3
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 GT
Josh Baker JoshuaDBaker xxPanduh

Get the Mustang. The lady certainly has a family oriented vehicle, correct? Not like you need two of those. 5.0 FTW!

2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium Triple Yellow - Ordered
2006 Ford Mustang GT Premium Screaming Yellow - 1st Car/Soon to be Retired Daily Driver/April '12 ROTM
2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Dark Shadow Gray - Gone
2004 Ford Mustang GT Premium Oxford White - Gone
bakerjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:38 PM   #4
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang
Bowman2071 Bowman2071

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbear853 View Post
Easy one here .... you should end the engagement
To tell him to end an engagement is just silly to just get a Mustang.

I'm probably going to go the opposite of most people on here. I'd say get the F150.

Trucks are always good to have no matter what you like to do. My first vehicle was a smaller S10 and I still have it. There have been times where I needed to throw tools in the back and go help someone fix their car. Or i'll help out friends moving. That truck has been the most dependable thing I have ever owned.

You're Stang is amazing, man. Why not just throw on F/I later on and call it a day? I'm sure that would keep you happy for quite awhile.

When you get a dog, are you really going to want him to go in the 5.0? My dog would tear my interior up, so he's a no-go in my sixxer. Are you really going to haul around all your hunting gear with you're 5.0?

My dad was about 24-25 I believe when he had me, and I was the second child. He had his unhealthy obsession with his '71 Z28, and STILL has it to this day, among several other fun cars. Getting old is just a mental state. You won't ever grow out of loving cars and going fast. You have your whole life ahead of you to mod your cars away. That's just my honest opinion.

One question. Are you planning on trading in your current mustang for one of these cars?
2007 Satin Silver 4.0L V6 Auto SMR #2143
BBK CAI / SCT X3 w/Bama 93R tune / True Dual / X-pipe / Borla Touring Cat-back / Cervini 2 1/2" Cowl hood
GT Style grille w/Fogs / 8" Antenna / Pioneer AVH-P3300BT / 8.8" Rear / 3.73 / J&M Steel PHB / Nitto NT555's
18" Staggered Machined GT500 Wheels / FRPP N-Springs / Tokico D-Specs / J&M Plates / BBK LCA

Personal Best: 2.112 60' / 14.949 @ 85.31mph
2007StangV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:42 PM   #5
simplexdesign
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008, Ford, GT500

After reading your post I would suggest you get another mustang. Its clear that it's what you really want to do and you only live once.

If you are concerned with putting a baby in a mustang they actually do very well in crash tests, plus I'm sure there is a chance your future wife owns a 4 door car.

Can't hunt in a mustang but that is a good thing in my opinion. If you must hunt I'm sure people you hunt with own trucks.

Finally get a cat instead of a dog. Not only will they not eat your car interior but you don't have to wake up early everyday to watch it sh*t

Last edited by simplexdesign; 01-23-2014 at 10:45 PM.
simplexdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:56 PM   #6
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 GT
Josh Baker JoshuaDBaker xxPanduh

Forget a cat...Golden Retrievers are amazing dogs!

2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium Triple Yellow - Ordered
2006 Ford Mustang GT Premium Screaming Yellow - 1st Car/Soon to be Retired Daily Driver/April '12 ROTM
2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Dark Shadow Gray - Gone
2004 Ford Mustang GT Premium Oxford White - Gone
bakerjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:37 PM   #7
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 05 DodgeRam 2500 CUMMINS
christob90

My first car was an 05 v6 mustang. I sold it with plans to save for an 08GT and mod it heavily. I waited 6 months and decided maybe a truck would be better.

I bought an 05 Ram 2500 with the cummins Diesel engine. I LOVED it. I could take my dog anywhere and not worry about him in the back seat. I could tow anything, and I mean anything. And I loved just being able to throw stuff in the bed and of course I loved playing with it In the desert.

I didn't want to sell it for anything.
Then I drove my brothers 2013 v6 mustang (jaybestangs94) and I fell in love with the mustang again. A month later, I had the truck sold and now I've got my 2014 5.0

I love everything about it but part of me misses my truck. I hate putting my dog in my mustang, I worry all the time about where it's parked. And I catch myself speeding all the time.

I'm 23. I plan on getting married soon and starting a family. The truck is way more practical. I find myself borrowing my parents Tahoe when I need something bigger which is convenient. I just wasn't ready to completely grow up. Once I have a house, I will get a truck. The dodge was killing me financially...$1300 for tires.. Ball joints were $800, steering box was $700...etc... Within 2 years I had put almost $4,000 I to it to get it to drive nice. Parts were ridiculously expensive . (Motor was solid, front end was weak) and before I sold it, the tranny started slipping and I didn't have another five grand to spend on it. I figured maintenance on the stang would be cheap.

I would say get the truck, you not really have to worry about maintenance since it will be new and it will be much easier for everything family related.

Sorry for the essay lol
Airraid+Bama 91

05 white Mustang 4.0 sold
05 white Dodge 2500 Cummins sold and missed
Lethaldosage423 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:36 AM   #8
Siber Express
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 V6 MCA Performance Package, Comfort Package, Securtity Package and Electronics Package

You hunt with your Dad and he has a truck.
I have 5 larger dogs (2 Rotties and 3 Bull Mastiffs) and when they need to go somewhere they all ride in my Wife's Rav4.
Mustang, No Problem.

Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:13 AM   #9
99GTvert
is my username.

Vehicle: 1
well, its getting cold outside again...****in reached down to the 40s the other day.  almost can't wait for the snowy stuff............................almost i don't have a twitter account nor have i ever been to a twitter web page (update: i have), but if i ever did decide to take the plunge i will let you know by posting it in this awesome little box of text (update: not really)! i like tacos lol...though between crunchy tacos and soft tacos i cannot really say which one is better.  sometimes, the mess a crunchy taco leaves behind is a little annoying while the soft taco just doesn't have the same taste... cake is so much better than pie no, srsly.  **** pie. ****ing

lol...wtf did I just read?
99GTvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:35 AM   #10
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Vehicle: 1999 Ford Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to 72MachOne99GT Send a message via Yahoo to 72MachOne99GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GTvert View Post
lol...wtf did I just read?
He's going to murder his fiancé, buy a new 5.0, then live happily ever after systematically murdering sexual partners he meets while attending the University of Southern California.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:35 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement